Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #295

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Fffrank, I think you are going to know a whole lot more about your rig by the time you get home!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #296

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Frank,
I plan on hiring you for my diesel work!
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #297

Frank you amaze me, all the work you have been doing in adverse conditions and your tools are still clean and shiny. Me, I would have an inch of grease on everything by now.

Keep going you are doing well. I suspect that the pump has air in it and needs to be bled. Not sure how it is done on those pumps and just a guess on my part.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #298

Fingers crossed: first bit of good news in a few days of misery.

I was disconnecting the battery to shut the starter off and noticed about 10s after I switched the battery off there was a relay that clicked. Took me some running back and forth to narrow down that it was behind this plastic access panel in the inverter compartment and some more analysis to determine which one it was but I'm now 90pct sure I've found the problem.

I spent a few hours this morning looking at electrical diagrams and although I'm not an engineer, I couldnt find this relay on any of them.

Headed to the parts store to pick one up.

Also learned that something was amiss between my BIRD and the aux start button. I've been running the gen to charge the batteries but it wasn't charging the chasis batts and my aux button wasn't working. I figured out a temp solution for now so that I can at least put some power back into the battery banks.
Fffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #299

Monaco Owners Club
This looks like my preheat & auxiliary start panel. If one of the relays for the auxiliary start isn't dropping out it may explain why the starter keeps running. On my chassis wiring diagram it is labeled as remote start but it looks greek to me as to how it works/wired!

Here's a copy of the parts page showing it with the part numbers. There are 3 for the auxiliary start PN 120-913
https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/white-rodgers/

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Preheat Panel.pdf (61.0 KB, 16 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #300

Sounds promising you may have found your sticky relay for the starter!

I would agree that my guess is you still have air in the fuel system.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #301

Another wiring diagram that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco wiring starter, crank & fuel.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	311530  
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #302

The continuous duty solenoid was not available locally - so I put in a duralast F495. I'm not sure why that solenoid needs to be rated continuous when it is only carrying the trigger wire for the starter?

Anyway..... That problem fixed!! Wahoooooo!
Old 12-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #303

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome!!! One hurtle crossed. Good job!!! I respect you hanging in there and continuing to fight through it.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #304

Monaco Owners Club
I'd be contacting the Cummins shop and get some of your money back, and after you tell them you starter fix they might be looking for a different diagnostic tech.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #305

Frank's patience is amazing. I wonder how many would have set fire to it by now.

Congratulations I think you are very close, get the fuel right and you will probably be
gone.

Many times I have changed my filters and primed them with the lift pump until one day
it wouldn't start. So I filled the filters and put a little air pressure on the diesel tank
and it finally started. Haven't had the problem since.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
The continuous duty solenoid was not available locally - so I put in a duralast F495. I'm not sure why that solenoid needs to be rated continuous when it is only carrying the trigger wire for the starter?

Anyway..... That problem fixed!! Wahoooooo!
Great job Frank. You've got a ton of people pulling for you.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
At this point I would almost suggest trying to get a mobile tech with the Cummins Insite (?) program that could try and read any fault codes, or call and try and get any information from Cummins you can, you paid +$800 for diagnostics which should give you the right to the information you paid for.

It would at least confirm if you have a problem with the injection pump or something else going on. Without this info you could be chasing your tail.
Consider my tail chased.

I opened all the injector lines and there's a very healthy squirt coming out all but 1 of them. Why that one is being pesky I have no idea. I was always raised on Fuel, Spark, Air..... But obviously diesel uses some other kind of magic because I have no idea how to check for "spark." With the batteries recharged I'm getting a lot more spin but still no explosions.

I did find a mobile tech with Cummins software that is coming out this evening. Another set of eyes on this tail I'm chasing will not hurt.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #308

YOU HAVE GOT TO BLEED ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE LINES GOING TO THE INJECTORS ! PERIOD ! IT WILL NEVER START UP UNTIL YOU DO THIS !
LOSSEN 1,3,and 5 NUTS TILL THEY ARE ALMOST OFF the injectors THEN CYCLE THE LIFT PUMP TILL YOU SEE FUEL COME OUT OF NO 5 THEN TIGHTEN and when fuel runs out no 3 tighten then no 1 until fuel runs out and tighten it up. this may take so many times that you will think it will never bleed off but it will .I have seen it take 50 to60 cycles or more ! But one thing i will promise you is until you bleed this as i have pointed out it will not run!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote