RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Dead Paint on Holiday Rambler

Hi All

I need some feedback on this topic. I have previously posted about my dead white paint on our 2003 HR Vacationer. The coach DOES have aluminum sidewalls and it is in VGC except for the crappy paint.

Because I'm 75 years old I don't think I'll be using it past 2025 considering my health stays status quo. I really can't justify spending $10000+ on a repaint.

I was wondering if anyone had stripped the paint off, polished the aluminum side walls, and sealed them. Has anyone seen a MH done this way?

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' Workhorse
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

I think I know how you feel, George. Looking at an RV and thinking, "Boy, it sure would look better if it were painted". I've been there and didn't have the skill or the money to have it painted in the US.

So, I went to Mexico. Such good work most of the time. And very inexpensive. Have had several jobs done down there and everything I had done, even redoing a mistake by a previous painter, didn't come to more than $1500. And that's on a Class A, 36'.

Here's the article I wrote about the paint jobs I had done down there: Paint Jobs]

What they did with my rig was scrape off the old vinyl and air brush on new paint of the upper sections where the vinyl had been. On the lower basement area and bumpers they prep'ed and completely painted. The painter came up with suggested paint colors that really made it look much better than original. The upper fiberglass was cleaned and polished. Really looked good and the painting helped it sell faster.

With my new-2-me Journey, the vinyl is getting faded enough that I'm once again considering a trip to Mazatlan for a paint job. But there are many towns along the border with Mexico where they have excellent painters too, maybe more then inland. Pretty sure you've seen their work being you are part of the Texas Boomers Club. I've had work done in Maz, in San Felipe, and in a small village near Yuma, AZ. All excellent jobs (except the one where the guy cut corners and didn't prep the plastic bumpers because I said I was selling the rig soon).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

Here's a 'before' picture:

And an 'after':

Whatever you decide, having a freshly painted RV is great!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

People brag and are amazed about how well rustoleum topside coat turns out on a roof, even with a brush and roller. I wonder how good it would look with a HVLP gun or wagner sprayer. The alum. may not be the same as like on an Airstream may not hold a polish well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Here's a 'before' picture:

And an 'after':

Whatever you decide, having a freshly painted RV is great!
Best 1500 ever spent
Old 09-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #6

Nice looking, Never thought of heading to the border but from the sounds of it that may be an option if needed
kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I think I know how you feel, George. Looking at an RV and thinking, "Boy, it sure would look better if it were painted". I've been there and didn't have the skill or the money to have it painted in the US.

So, I went to Mexico. Such good work most of the time. And very inexpensive. Have had several jobs done down there and everything I had done, even redoing a mistake by a previous painter, didn't come to more than $1500. And that's on a Class A, 36'.

Here's the article I wrote about the paint jobs I had done down there: Paint Jobs]

What they did with my rig was scrape off the old vinyl and air brush on new paint of the upper sections where the vinyl had been. On the lower basement area and bumpers they prep'ed and completely painted. The painter came up with suggested paint colors that really made it look much better than original. The upper fiberglass was cleaned and polished. Really looked good and the painting helped it sell faster.

With my new-2-me Journey, the vinyl is getting faded enough that I'm once again considering a trip to Mazatlan for a paint job. But there are many towns along the border with Mexico where they have excellent painters too, maybe more then inland. Pretty sure you've seen their work being you are part of the Texas Boomers Club. I've had work done in Maz, in San Felipe, and in a small village near Yuma, AZ. All excellent jobs (except the one where the guy cut corners and didn't prep the plastic bumpers because I said I was selling the rig soon).
Well Jim Hitek --- Thanks for the reply and information. When we bought the MH, the outside was somewhat ditry and dingy. I saw the streaks and the dirt, but failed to realize there was a ton of oxidation on the painted sidewalls that would not come out. The first time I washed it, she cleaned up pretty good but I saw the paint was thin. It was then I knew the white paint was shot.

I recently washed it again and ended up with the aluminum sidewalls shining through. A repaint is not an option because it's too darn expensive and money we don't want to spend. I just got a quote to repaint sidewalls only and that was $8250. A trip to Mexico isn't an option because the country is out of control from drugs and it's not worth it.

So, I guess it will be some form of either brush or foam roller application of primer, paint, and clear coat.

2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' Workhorse
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #8

If i was to repaint with white paint I would skip clear coat all together. The glue on emblems we would take off you could see yellowing from clear on white. More cost, more chance of problems, bugs , runs ,dirt in paint longer wet time of paint to affect primer to substrate bond. No chance of clear peeling .
Old 09-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

What you can do is go to a border city, like McAllen, TX. Park yourself at a RV park on the US side. Hire one of the many Mexican painter guys that live in Mexico that come to the RV parks on the US side and do the work. You buy the paint, they do the job. Little more expensive then having the entire job done in Mexico but still very economical. The parks office or your neighbors will be able to give you leads on good painters.

One thing I've seen a couple times in the US are traveling painter guys like in Mexico. Same as Mobile Repair, only they are Mobile Painting. They've started copying the Mexican painters and do the work right at your RV instead of making you drive to a shop. Really reduces the overhead but still very profitable for them. Their prices are between a US shop and Mexico prices. So check google and craigslist when you park in an area and see if there's a mobile painter where you are. A lot depends on whether or not the area has moist or dry air or if it's too windy though.

Tags
holiday rambler, paint