Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
Just a bit of electrical engineering fundamentals.... The resistance quoted is the coil resistance. The power dissipated is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. At 12 volts, the power dissipated by the 32 ohm coil is 4.5 watts, by the 7.7ohm coil, the power is 18.7 watts.
The contacts that are closed by this coil should dissipate zero watts, unless the contacts are bad.
So would you purchase this relay or the upgraded trombetta with the silver contacts?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
So would you purchase this relay or the upgraded trombetta with the silver contacts?
Go back and read Moisheh's comments about simply replacing things without knowing what is really going on. This used to be called "easter-egging" by techs in the days of tube electronics. It can get very expensive. You can get a digital voltmeter from Harbor Freight for about $5. Get a couple so you have one with you in the motorhome.
With the trombetta relay closed, measure the voltage drop across the relay. That will tell you whether you have a problem. If the relay is OK, you should see much less than a tenth of a volt.
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I did purchase a new meter and I have isolated the problem to the trombetta. I disconnected the chassis side of the batteries from the trombetta I then measured the voltage between the purple and white wire to show that the 12 volt signal to pick the relay was there. The trombetta is hot to the touch which also shows that it is at least attempting to pick. On the House side of the trombetta I have 12.58 volts. On the chassis side I have less than 1/2 a volt. Sure looks to me like I need a new relay since there should be the same voltage on both sides of the relay when picked.

Now back to my question to RCLImperial. would you purchase this relay or the upgraded trombetta with the silver contacts?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #32

Quote:
I did purchase a new meter and I have isolated the problem to the trombetta. I disconnected the chassis side of the batteries from the trombetta I then measured the voltage between the purple and white wire to show that the 12 volt signal to pick the relay was there. The trombetta is hot to the touch which also shows that it is at least attempting to pick. On the House side of the trombetta I have 12.58 volts. On the chassis side I have less than 1/2 a volt. Sure looks to me like I need a new relay since there should be the same voltage on both sides of the relay when picked.

Now back to my question to RCLImperial. would you purchase this relay or the upgraded trombetta with the silver contacts?
Since the Trombetta is obviously a problem, you do need to replace it. I have the White-Rodgers relay in my coach, and it has been satisfactory in a coach that is 7+ years old. I have an '04 HR Imperial, but the relay is only energized when the engine is running. For maintaining the batteries, I have a Lambert battery maintainer which connects all the batteries when on AC. I suspect that both the Trombetta and the White Rodgers will work for your situation. It may come down to the cost of each. For sure, if you get the Trombetta, you should go for the silver contact version.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #33

[QUOTE=bdpreece;860606] On the House side of the trombetta I have 12.58 volts. On the chassis side I have less than 1/2 a volt. Sure looks to me like I need a new relay since there should be the same voltage on both sides of the relay when picked.

Got to thinking about the 1/2 volt on the chassis side of the trombetta relay. Seems to me that the voltage there should be the voltage at the chassis batteries. When the trombetta relay is activated, the house and chassis batteries are tied together. I suggest that you do some more detective work to see what's really going on. There could be a poor connection somewhere in the line that connects the trombetta to the chassis batteries.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
Just a bit of electrical engineering fundamentals.... The resistance quoted is the coil resistance. The power dissipated is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. At 12 volts, the power dissipated by the 32 ohm coil is 4.5 watts, by the 7.7ohm coil, the power is 18.7 watts.
The contacts that are closed by this coil should dissipate zero watts, unless the contacts are bad.
Oh yes fundamentals, except were not talking about fundamental in this case we're talking about principles and laws. I agree that the formula Power=V2/R is correct but the reason why it gives a different answer can be found here.

The law I applied is Joule's Law and its origin and application can be found here.

Conventional wisdom is that as resistance increases for the same amount of current flow the heat dissipated will increase over time. This is certainly understood by every RV'er who has found bad battery connections, or any corroded connection that passes a current. So if we apply conventional wisdom to each formula it should prove the conventional wisdom.

The formula you are applying is Power = V2 / R. As the denominator(R) gets larger the corresponding power gets smaller, going against conventional wisdom. On the other hand, Joule's Law which is P = I2 xR, as R gets larger P becomes larger and conversely as R gets smaller P becomes smaller which follows conventional wisdom.

So your fundamental are good, your application is flawed.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=RCLImperial;860800]
Quote:
On the House side of the trombetta I have 12.58 volts. On the chassis side I have less than 1/2 a volt. Sure looks to me like I need a new relay since there should be the same voltage on both sides of the relay when picked.

Got to thinking about the 1/2 volt on the chassis side of the trombetta relay. Seems to me that the voltage there should be the voltage at the chassis batteries. When the trombetta relay is activated, the house and chassis batteries are tied together. I suggest that you do some more detective work to see what's really going on. There could be a poor connection somewhere in the line that connects the trombetta to the chassis batteries.
It was in my original test where I showed 12.58 on the house side and 12.41 on the chassis side. I then disconnected the chassis batteries from the circuit to see if anything was actually passing through the relay and all I got was 1/2 a volt. The 12.41 volts I was reading was the charge in my chassis batteries rather than what was being passed through the relay.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brian,
I think you have correctly identified the problem as being the Trombetta Relay. I have read where people have disassembled the relay and repaired the contacts. This might work as a short term cheap fix but long term I think a new relay with silver contacts is the best answer.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #37

I purchased two things for a total of $90 to make sure the cross charging was working properly..I replaced the trombetta with the upgraded one AND I purchased the new MegaTech upgraded board. This board is programmed a bit better to engage the Trombetta relay which wasn't happening with either house to chassis or chassis to house.. Checked all since then now trombetta is engaging properly..This relay gets a workout so you need the heavy duty one without question. This trombetta is the only way Monaco products cross charge.

Note I read somewhere that 2008 models did not have the megatech board so no cross charging from house to chassis...owners' manual is wrong for that year.

Remember you want the trombetta ending in -020- the 010 is a piece of junk that Monac used to save money.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Rjay: On those meters aren't the "claws" only for 110 Volts AC??.
They also make one that will work with both DC and AC. I have one I purchased at a reasonable price from Sears. I tested it alongside a Fluke that a friend of mine has that he uses at his shop. It tested within a half-amp give or take alongside the Fluke. You could buy a Fluke but the price will be way up there.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I finally returned home to Oregon and got the heavy duty trombetta replacement. Today I installed the new one so I disassembled the old one just for fun. Even holding the relay picked with my hand I get no continuity between the two power posts. See the attached pictures for why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	11180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	11181  

Old 08-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Brian,
I assume you had only the trombetta relay to replace, as There have been no further posts for a while. I found out I had a similar problem today. I have a 2009 Knight and in the batt compartment in what Monaco refers to as a "Charging Relay."
It's located on mine just below the j-box, above the batteries. The coil is energized, but one side was 13.6VDC while the other side was only 7VDC. So I will try to locate another one of better quality in the next few days.
Alga Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
BD, you can call the Monaco hotline, give them your coach #, that may help you locate the BIRD relay, or tell you whether it's there or not. Also Monaco tech support may be able to email you a wiring diagram.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alga Forrest View Post
Hello Brian,
I assume you had only the trombetta relay to replace, as There have been no further posts for a while. I found out I had a similar problem today. I have a 2009 Knight and in the batt compartment in what Monaco refers to as a "Charging Relay."
It's located on mine just below the j-box, above the batteries. The coil is energized, but one side was 13.6VDC while the other side was only 7VDC. So I will try to locate another one of better quality in the next few days.
Hi Alga,
You might want to look at these as a replacement for the trombetta.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote