RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Exclamation Deal of a lifetime or nightmare in waiting?

I have the opportunity to purchase a new 2009 Camelot 42 tag for about 45% of True MSRP. It seems the units are dealer repo liquidations. With some of the horror stories that we all have read about potential problems with any new rig and the likelyhood of no major warranty, is the risk too big at this time?

An aftermarket service contract could be acquired, but they do not cover structural or major manufacturing defects. Even with the individual components covered by individual manufacturers if it were to be one of the limited units that have major flaws, I could be stuck with a large repair bill or worse yet a boat anchor that would not be resellable!

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't be afraid to consider that unit. My 2008 Camelot has been pretty much problem free and the few issues I had could have been addressed without dealer support with a minor outlay of money. If you are saving 55% off the MSRP that would go a long way to repair most issues that surface the first year. Just do a very thorough PDI prior to purchase. IMHO extended service contracts are not much help but they do make lots of folks feel good.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

I wouldn't be afraid. I would be diligent in my PDI and get an extended warranty. If this still makes it a deal, go for it.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The MSRP without freight is $351,220 and sales price is $173,564 with no freight charge. I guess thats not quite 45%, it's 49.4 % of MSRP. It's for a 42 Camelot KFQ.

Does anyone have this fllor plan and how do you like it?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, be aware that even if Monaco survives, they do not honor warranties on repossessed coaches. Only those sold by their Dealers. The extended warranty is the way to go on this one.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a new 2009 Camelot 42 tag for about 45% of True MSRP. It seems the units are dealer repo liquidations. With some of the horror stories that we all have read about potential problems with any new rig and the likelyhood of no major warranty, is the risk too big at this time?

An aftermarket service contract could be acquired, but they do not cover structural or major manufacturing defects. Even with the individual components covered by individual manufacturers if it were to be one of the limited units that have major flaws, I could be stuck with a large repair bill or worse yet a boat anchor that would not be resellable!

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?
Jim..At that price...I think you can afford to fix any warranty issues that you are not able to get covered by the other actual manufacturers (ie-Cummins-Allison- etc)

I think it is a deal that you can't pass up!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Review any extended service contract before you sign on the dotted line. Make sure that the "warranty" in not worded such that they may try to push back on a manufacturers warranty even though there is not one.

Ken
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I wouldn't be afraid. I would be diligent in my PDI and get an extended warranty. If this still makes it a deal, go for it.
Couldn't have said this better - this is exactly what I would do.

I also think that if you believe that items are going to be fixed under the warrenty and they are not, then it will irritate me no end. However, if I right from the start, in my mind, have accepted that I am on my own, then this will become acceptable to me and I will just deal with the problems as and when they arrive.

We have had our Diplomat for just over 1 years and if I knew back then what I know today (for a great part thanks to this forum) I could have fixed 99% of our problems my self without to much trouble and without spending a lot of money. Most items are 90% know-how and 10 % skill.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Jim

I was in Ocala on yesterday at the Turning Wheel RV to get my dash air repaired, they are a Monacoa dealer and an owner of a Diplomat was there trying to get some warranty work done. He was told they were not doing any warranty work at this time.

So, just a heads up, But as the Dane has said, if you are aware of this going in and get the right deal and can do some repairs yourself Go for It!!!!!

Rick
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My greatest fear is to get that one real bad one. Roof defective, sidewalls defective, major slide problems, etc. I guess their is room for repairs of even a major magnitude, but my wife thinks I'm nuts! We have a 2005 Safari Cheetah with 6K miles that looks new and with no problems. I got a real good deal on it from E-Bay and she still thinks $173,000 is a lot compared to the $88,000 we spent on the Safari. Almost twice to be sort of exact!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy

Jim, I would deffinately go up on the roof and check for cracks. The Cheetahs and Camelots were well known for these problems. However,...I believe that the '09's have been built better. But still........

BTW, you should never have told us the asking price, because now I'm crying in my coffeeeeeeeeeeee.....

snivel, sniff
Tom
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

We were looking for a new Camelot in Jan and the best price we found was around $225,000. I think I would have figured out how to buy it at $179,000 Any way with all the news on the financial market we thought we would just keep our money for a while longer. Good luck.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Jim - I plan to live forever and uptill now I and doing really well.

However, we only live once I am told and for that reason you have to take a risk every now and again. Is it time to treat yourself?

If you are a Buddist things may be different. Then there is life after death, but you could come back as maybe an ant, a billy goat or something similar. In this event a new motorhome will not be any good to you, so why not make the best of this life?

Please don't be offended - this was not my intention at all. All I want is for you to look at things from a different angle.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have been an impulsive person most of my life, retired 3 times only to go back at it again. Now as I've aged, all of a sudden I get conservative. Well, that is for me at least. Now I seem to be able to seperate my wants from my needs. I do have that voice in the background reminding me of reality, oh no, that's just Kay, I thought it was my conscious!