Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Deep rattling noise behind driver seat in slide out

On our last trip across the desert, I noticed a rattling sound over rough road. Mostly over lanes with typical big rig damage. It is coming from the kitchen/living room slide in the area right behind the drivers seat. It sounds like it is in the slide out wall that is right behind the driver when the slide is closed. The noise is about midway up/down along this wall. It is a deep rattle that sounds like metal on metal, as if a metal stud were lose and rubbing against another piece of metal. I didn't think there was very much stuff in the slide out walls, but I want to run this by the group to see if anyone else has experienced this. My only option right now is to turn the radio up louder
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I assume your vintage has a slide locking mechanism similar to my 2002 Windsor. It is a Dewald system. There is a cover the hides that springs and cable that make the system work.

Can you tell if the lock is fully engaging and is tight?? I have heard of the cable or spring breaking and if this happens you could get a rattling.

Attached is a part number for mine along with a drawing of the locking mechanism with more detailed parts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Slideout travel lock exterior.pdf (90.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf Slide Lock Mechanism by Dewald.pdf (59.8 KB, 123 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Desert rattle snake? LOL Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I assume your vintage has a slide locking mechanism similar to my 2002 Windsor.
I don't think it has a lock as the previous owners left 2 adjustable slide locks that I put on the inside of the slides to prevent it from rocking outward.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a similar rattle a couple of years ago. Finally found it, there was a screw missing from the bottom of the front wheel well fender/cover. Was very annoying and we at first thought it was the slide or fuel filler door. So, lesson learned was to look in other places for the rattle.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
Finally found it, there was a screw missing from the bottom of the front wheel well fender/cover.
Interesting that you said that because my original idea of where the noise was coming from was the front wheel area. My wife doesn't drive the coach so it it hard to pinpoint the noise while driving.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

I had that as well on my 2007 Dip. You have to open the slide to access the top panel screws. I used Stainless #8 self tap screws to replace the rusted broken screws.
markmcc1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a rattle in my slide as well and found that it was the wood facia on the front of the slide that the screws came loose.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
We had a similar rattle a couple of years ago. Finally found it, there was a screw missing from the bottom of the front wheel well fender/cover. Was very annoying and we at first thought it was the slide or fuel filler door. So, lesson learned was to look in other places for the rattle.
Do check all the metal straps under the side panels and fender wells for broken or missing screws. This is a very common problem on these coaches and I have had several break to the point I started using larger screws.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have rollers in the bottom of the slides. They can be loose and vibrating during certain RPM of the motor. I had the issue on my passenger kitchen slide.

2005 Monaco Knight
40PLQ
Triple bunkhouse!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Found the problem! The user named cpr_vbg nailed the location. It was the front wheel well cover. Only one screw holding it on and it was almost all the way unscrewed. It was rattling between the metal support. Thanks for the help tracking this annoyance down!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The exact same location that was missing a screw on our rig. Glad to help. Took me a while dor me to find. Actually found the rattle while washing it. Fender rattled and made noise while scrubbing.
BTW. I'm Conrad.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't washed ours yet Conrad. Needs a wax too. Not looking forward to it.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here are the images for this post. The image links were broken. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noise1.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	115611   Click image for larger version

Name:	noise2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	115612  

Tags
driver, noise, slide, slide out