Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, All - I've been lurking for a while and learning from all of you Monaco experts. We're in the final stages of negotiating for our first MH, a new Monarch 33 SFS. We had asked for offers from six different dealers in California, and we're in the final stage of negotiations on units with both Demartini in Grass Valley and Alpine RV in Morgan Hill. We live in San Francisco, so Alpine is about two hours away and Demartini is three hours. Given small differences in the coaches, the offer prices are roughly comparable.

My question (and I think I already know the answer from reading other posts) is whether it's worth going with Demartini even though they are further away from us? Everything I've read tells me to go with Demartini, but it sure would be nice to have a dealer we can get to more easily. Also, Alpine is open on Sundays whereas Demartini is not, so Alpine gets another point for convenience.

Thoughts? Suggestions? We're probably doing the deal today.

thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, All - I've been lurking for a while and learning from all of you Monaco experts. We're in the final stages of negotiating for our first MH, a new Monarch 33 SFS. We had asked for offers from six different dealers in California, and we're in the final stage of negotiations on units with both Demartini in Grass Valley and Alpine RV in Morgan Hill. We live in San Francisco, so Alpine is about two hours away and Demartini is three hours. Given small differences in the coaches, the offer prices are roughly comparable.

My question (and I think I already know the answer from reading other posts) is whether it's worth going with Demartini even though they are further away from us? Everything I've read tells me to go with Demartini, but it sure would be nice to have a dealer we can get to more easily. Also, Alpine is open on Sundays whereas Demartini is not, so Alpine gets another point for convenience.

Thoughts? Suggestions? We're probably doing the deal today.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #3

We Bought from Demartini, I would hands down deal with them again. There Sac store used to be open on Sunday that might have changed. Also they are paid salary so no high pressure. I have dealt with both the extra hour is WELL worth it!
Good Luck,
kaisooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you, Sacs and Kaisooba, this confirms our feeling but wanted to check. As we have not owned our own RV before (rented several) haven't had to deal with the issue of getting to the dealer for warranty work and maintenance.

Hopefully I'll be able to change my signature and ask Monaco Mama for some Karma very soon!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did not buy from either outfit, but dealt with them both. I had such a negative experience with Alpine, I would never go back. Sure, maybe things have changed with them in the past year and a half, but the experience was so sleezy that I just can't bring myself to go there. They promised the world, but offered me $20k for my trade (sold it private party for $62k), then sent in three closers to try to get me to buy. They weren't prepared for my endless barrage of "No"s.

We did go up to DeMartini, and had the best experience on an RV lot ever. Those guys were great, and I wished they would have had the model/options that we wanted. I would have bought from them in a minute.

I was in San Jose when I was shopping, so Alpine was about 15/20 minutes, and DeMartini was closer to 3/3.5 hours. We ended up buying from Paul Everts in Fresno. That experience was OK, but I am really glad I have not needed any dealer support after the purchase.

Another DeMartini recommendation

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DignBubbs - everything you say rings true. We were not that impressed by Alpine, but their pricing is competitive after some encouragement. I also acknowledge that convenience counts for something. We also got a price from Paul Everts - they seemed straight up but weren't willing to be creative enough - they could only sell what they have on the lot. Same with Simi-RV down in Simi Valley. Demartini has found us a unit at the factory that's almost what we want, is installing some extra options, and doing it all with a smile.

Kaisooba - the Demartini Sacramento lot is still open on Sundays, but I thought was only for sales and not service. I'd be happy to be wrong on that.

I hope I can change my signature block in a few weeks to show our new rig!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

I can't speak for/against Alpine, but like others, I can for DeMartini. Here in SoCal, there's literally a cornucopia of dealers from which to chose and buy and RV. I know, I looked at each. I also ready posts from others on service they have received from the same. I chose to drive 600 miles to Grass Valley to buy from DeMartini. I just wished I lived close enough to have them service our Mbl Cndo!! They moved mine from their Illinois facility to GV on their nickel to show it to me before ever meeting. After I bought it, they bent over back-wards to make sure I was not just satisfied with the RV, but with the buying experience as well. When I'm ready to upgrade, they will get my business, no matter where I reside!!

I hope to see your signature change as well! And to see a good dusting of Monaco Mama's pixie dust to welcome you to the Owner's Forum!!
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please never every let yourself go to Paul Evert's RV. We bought a 06 Monarch from them and drove it 8 miles when the engine blew up.
We called them from the side of the road and they blew us off. thank god Ford stepped in and helped us. That speaks for there service, the deal was a nightmare. I still have bad dreams.
Believe me nobody deserves to be treated that bad.

PS: Our Endeavor came from DeMartini. You can't go wrong with them.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brucemcdou:
Thank you, Sacs and Kaisooba, this confirms our feeling but wanted to check.
Hopefully I'll be able to change my signature and ask Monaco Mama for some Karma very soon! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MonacoMama can truly tell you that she will always go to DeMartini. We first talked to Jon DeMartini at an RV show. He was straight up with us at that time - even though it was what we thought of as a "pipe dream".
I can tell you that it started out as a "semi-joke" when I found our rig on ther website and called Jon after 5 years. He called us back within 10 minutes. All of a sudden that "pipe dream" was slapping us in the face.
I am sitting in that "pipe dream" right now!
(Thank you Jon, for making that dream come true!)

OK..so how soon will that Karma be coming your way!??

MM

(PS..tell the folks at DeMartini that "Becky & Ron O" said hello!!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We've purchased two coaches from Alpine in Morgan Hill. Both purchases were a fairly pleasant experience but after a few services and warranty issues, we found out from Monaco that there were alternatives. For example: Leale's fleet and RV in San Jose is an authorized Monaco service center. Their work has been timely and perfect with lots of communication and there is no setting appointments and then waiting 2 weeks to even begin work, (my biggest gripe with dealers).

Check them out with Monaco.......

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #11

I purchased my Cayman from Alpine because I stopped by on my way to DeMartini. They told me they could not sell for the price I thought DeMartini would sell for so I went home (too late to go to Grass Valley) by the time I got home we had a phone message that they would accept my offer. I made a list if issues for the pre-delivery and NONE of the items were completed when I went to pick it up. There was nothing major so I did everything myself rather than to risk a poor job. I would not buy from them again.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for your thoughts. Freemn, thanks especially for the recommendation of Leale - I know we'll need to find a Workhorse chassis/engine shop near where we'll store and appreciate the recommendation.

Right now planning to store at the Interstate Storage facility in Point Richmond, right off 580. They have indoor and outdoor storage, dump stations, water, propane, and wash bays!

MonacoMoma: It will probably be four weeks before we have our new rig; Don't want to change my signature yet as I don't want to jinx anything! Trust me, you'll know when it happens
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce

I think you will find that Leale's RV is also authorized to service Workhorse Chasis too.

Give Leslie or Jon a call and ask them at (408) 286-5353. Could save you trips......

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 2007 Diplomat from Alpine in December, 2007. We met the new owner, who had just purchased Alpine and he was directly involved in negotiating the price with us. The price was right and DeMartini's did not have what I wanted, but Alpine did. I have been useing Alpine's service facility and they do good work. 07 Dips have lots of QA issues. I have worked to build up a relationship with my service writer and he takes good care of me. It also helps that I store my coach about a mile North of their shop. I have used Leals in the past for my Workhorse and they do a very professional job. I just don't like the traffic to get to their shop.

The nice thing about Monaco is that they will work with just about any shop on warranty issues, so don't feel like you have to go all the way to a dealer.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote