Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Depower Aux air compressor in storage?

Greetings,
New Guy here with a 2013 Knight 40PDQ. I am about to store it from March to September in a covered space with 30A power. I plan to leave it plugged in with the chassis and house batteries "on" so they stay charged. I plan to set the charge rate on house batteries low so they trickle (just in case there is a power outage and they discharge - I don't want to make a lot of heat when they resume charging). Because I will be far away during that time, I cannot return to it now and then to add water to the batteries.
First question: Does this approach (set charge rate low) seem reasonable?
Next, I plan to level on jacks with the air system deflated. To keep them deflated, I plan to pull the fuse that controls the aux air compressor on the road side in the generator compartment). It's been my experience that keeping the coach level when parked brings that pump alive 3 or four times a day, and I don't need that wear and tear on the system while it's stored.
Second question: Could there be a downside to pulling that fuse?

Thanks for your advice!

************ 2013 Monaco Knight 40PDQ ************
Knight40PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shouldn't be a problem pulling the aux compressor fuse, but I'd be concerned leaving lead acid batteries on charge for that long unattended.
Anyone you could get to check the water level every couple of months?
Old 03-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Turning the air level off should turn the compressor of. It does with HWH.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
Turning the air level off should turn the compressor of. It does with HWH.
Doesn't with the Valid/ Powergear system, which I suspect his '13 coach may have.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Doesn't with the Valid/ Powergear system, which I suspect his '13 coach may have.

96 Wideglide, you’re right. Turning the air level switch off should stop the system from trying to hold level, but mine doesn’t. It continues to power up now and then.
As for the batteries, I don’t have anyone nearby to check them.
My other choice is to disconnect them and let them sit over the months. When I return they may be dead but I could charge them back in a day. I plan to call Interstate where I bought them and ask their opinion.
Thanks for weighing in.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #6

If you fill them to capacity you should be fine. Your smart charger is designed to float them, I think if you police any 12v parasitic draw that will help. The reducing current idea not quite sure. That seems like a smart idea. I suggest your question should go to the inverter people not the battery people. Thing is, if your batteries are not being used then then your inverter should not being throwing bulk charge at them at all.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight40PDQ View Post
96 Wideglide, you’re right. Turning the air level switch off should stop the system from trying to hold level, but mine doesn’t. It continues to power up now and then.
With your leveling system powered down, it's no longer making adjustments to your air bags, the aux compressor is just keeping the small air tank up.
It kicks in when that tank bleeds down to 90psi, and tops it up to 120psi.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #8

Does inverter have charge only setting. In loss of power one less draw on batts , the inverter running idle.
Is your battery isolator/combiner working well to chassis batts up. Seems twice a week someone is having an issue with whatever type they have.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Thing is, if your batteries are not being used then then your inverter should not being throwing bulk charge at them at all.
Your right, they shouldn't go into a bulk charging mode, but they will still have some evaporation in float charge.

Seems to me, the older they get, the quicker they lose water to evaporation.

If I were planning on leaving my batteries unattended on charge for an extended period, I'd probably look into adding a few ounces of mineral oil on top of each cell to limit evaporation.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would disconnect all of the batteries by removing the main cable from the battery. No need to leave the Coach powered for that long and worry about it. When you hook them back up you will find that they are still around 90% charged
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

True enough!

That would solve both of his issues.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I would disconnect all of the batteries by removing the main cable from the battery. No need to leave the Coach powered for that long and worry about it. When you hook them back up you will find that they are still around 90% charged
Chargerman,
Interstate advised me to leave them connected to a smart charger/maintainer. In this case, that means the inverter/converter. They reasoned that fluid loss would be less significant than the loss of charge during a 6-7 month unattended storage. I will find out which approach is more right because I have already parked it and left the state. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #13

Let us know how you made out in 6 or 7 months !
Old 03-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #14

A lot of good ideals here. Let me add this about storing with the jacks extended. That leaves the rods exposed. I also understand about not wanting to store on inflated air bags. Here’s what I do on mine to avoid having the jacks down. I have some very small air leaks so the bags deflate over time. I raise the coach on the suspension to ride height. I leave the jacks retracted and stack 1x12 blocks up under each jack until they are about 1/4 inch below the pad. Then I deflate the bags until the coach settles down on the blocks. Nice and level and will stay that way. When I am ready to go I just raise it to travel mode and drive away.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, power, storage