RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Detroit Series 60- The Ugly Fix

We left AZ a week ago and are now giving the 'Ugly Fix" chip for the Detroit series 60 engine a good test. In the past, the best I could ever get was 5.3 mpg. I tried driving at 58 mph and then at 63. At 58 all I could get was 5.0. For 1583 miles since AZ the mpg is now 6.4. I have a SilverLeaf VMSpc and the temp is running much cooler. I used to go to 207 on a hard climb now I have never seen a temp above 196. The little puff of black smoke I used to get when I step on the throttle is now gone.

I have done a lot of reading on the various trucker forums. The consensus seems to be that the sweet spot of the Detroit is 1465 to 1500 rpm. This is where I now normally run. I do notice better acceleration when I'm passing and better speeds when climbing and want to pass trucks on a hill.

Based on my results, I sure feel the Ugly Fix was worth it for me.

You can read about the Ugly Fix here: Hanak Enterprises Inc. (The Ugly Fix™) - The Ugly Fix Home

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

Sounds great for you however our Detroit gets 6.5 mpg now and temps run about 185-190 now . So you think I can expect an improvement?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Link doesn't appear to be working.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Ugly Fix Development - Hanak Enterprises Inc. (The Ugly Fix™)

This should take you to the right location. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting... A Detroit Series 60 was noted for one ability no other Diesel had as much of....The ability to PASS FILLING STATIONS.

My Brother's Semi,, Deadhead..16MPG and about the same weight as my class A. He hated to trade that puppy in.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

I don't think the low mpg is because of the Detroit but because of the requirement of pushing 44,000 lbs down the road plus pulling a 3000-4500 lb toad.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bit the bullet and bought the Ugly Fix today (that's $202au)
I've averaged 5.4 mpg over 18000 miles. Let's see what the next 10000 mile average is.
I'll also be getting a hot set (you guys call it "top done" I think
A valve adjustment.
Coach is currently at a Ford dealer for a radiator repair so I guess they won't be doing the tune.
I've actually got a great mechanic that could squeeze up between the top of the engine and closet floor to do the job ( I've seen him straddling v8's and straight 6's doing what us Aussies call a hot set) since I'm to stingy to pay the return air fare I'll be looking for a Detroit dealer in California.
So the review of the Ugly Fix will be a little inaccurate as the engine will have been retuned as well.
Never the less I will return to this thread after our next trip - don't hold your breath it will be November.
Ps. Mike Canter I've tried driving at 62 and still can't match your mpg.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #8

This is going to be interesting. I believe getting the "top done" also includes setting the gap on the injectors also. How many miles on this motor now? I have talked to other Detroit owners that get the same mpg as me. (That is an average of 6.2 mpg at 62 mph in the summer over a long trip). Hopefully the guy that does the top can tell you if anything is way out.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike,

Have you ever had your "top" done? We're now at 95,000 and I'm wondering if I should have it done on our coach. Getting it done for us will be a major job since we're full timers and the closet is stuffed. Also DW has a fit when anyone tracks up the inside of her domain.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #10

Detriot says that it should be done after you have 65,000 miles on the coach so that the motor is totally broken in. I have had quotes varying from $500 to $700. Normal truck cost is around $500 but because it is hard to get to in a MH the increased cost at $700. I am sure Steve's will be higher because he is on the West Coast. the other thing worth doing at the same time is getting the Jake brake adjusted. When I do mine I am going to move my mattress and tape a drop cloth over the carpet. One of the best Detroit repair facilities is W W Williams which has a lot of places all over the U.S. Don't know what you would do as a full timer. You said you had tried driving at 58 mph.just as a warning especially if your speedometer is a little off is that you may be in fifth gear vice sixth. I find that if I want to drive 58 mph I have to be in the Eco Mode on the transmission then watch gear on the Aladdin and make sure it shifts into sixth then drop down to 58 mph.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I used to only get 5.4 to 5.8 MPG with my Detroit from the day I bought it used. Had it in to Pacific Power Service in Coburg, OR and they noticed the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) was cracked at every weld where the cooling tubes met the end tanks. Had it replaced and changed to OAT antifreeze at that time. What a difference that new CAC made. Much better pull away from stop, holds grades much better now and builds boost almost immediately to 31.9 psi. It used to build to the same boost BUT it took much longer to get there. Just finished a 3000 mile trip up over the high Colorado Mtn. passes both ways (to 11,100 ft) on the way to So California. My Silverleaf read 6.3 MPG for the entire trip and some tank fills read 6.9 MPG. I am very happy with that as I weigh 44,500 lbs. pulling a 3500 lb. car.

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The link still not working!
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #13

Try just typing in this but close up the spaces. If I take out the spaces it changes
w w w. uglyfixcharlotte .com
Old 04-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has done 68000 so it's probably worth doing the top.
While the service guys are looking at the radiator leak I've asked them to have a close look at the CAC also.