Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dexron III in hyd system

My RV calls for Dexron III in the hyd system. Monaco says 35 quarts of fluid in the system. My question is can I use Dexron III/ Mecron in the system? Has anyone done this? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

I can't remember, when and where the Mercon type of ATF was called for , might have been a Ford spec fluid to replace ATF type F.
I do think you will pay more for it, so for that reason alone I'd pass.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Mecron is Ford and Dexron is GM. I am having a hard time finding just Dexron III. I don't see any problems with using he the Dexron/Mecron fluid just want to make sure.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Had a quick look at a major Canadian auto parts store web site , I guess that Type 4 has taken over in small containers , but I did find III in a 20l pail. Could be you would need to contact the system manufacturer to find out the correct replacement fluid . Have you tried a farm impliment supplier for III ?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
From the Valvoline Website:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ssion-fluid/36

Valvoline DEXRONŽ VI ATF
Designed to meet the specific requirements of GM transmissions

Officially licensed and GM approved
Provides consistent shift performance for new and old GM transmissions
Outstanding sludge resistance provides superior transmission life
Provides excellent oxidative stability under severe conditions to keep your transmission shifting smoother longer
For all General Motors cars and trucks that require DEXRONŽ-VI, DEXRONŽ-III and DEXRONŽ-II, and select import vehicles

Overview
Valvoline DEXRONŽ-VI ATF is formulated with premium synthetic base stocks and advanced additive technology, meeting and exceeding the requirements of the General Motors' DEXRONŽ-VI specification. Valvoline DEXRONŽ-VI ATF can be used in new and old GM transmissions, is fully backward serviceable, and can be used wherever DEXRONŽ-II and/or DEXRONŽ-III are recommended.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Barlow 46,you hit it bang on best post seen sofar,Mercon is formulated for Ford products and Dex 3 to 6 for GM products do not interchange as these are not compatible and may cause damage to the hydr system.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Barlow 46 are you saying that I should not use the Dexron III/ Mecron mix. That I need to use a Dexron III or higher?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
Mecron is Ford and Dexron is GM. I am having a hard time finding just Dexron III. I don't see any problems with using he the Dexron/Mecron fluid just want to make sure.
The reason you have a hard time finding Dexron III is that GM quit monitoring or testing fluids to meet the spec. Now, there is actually no spec for Dexron III. Any manufacturer can call anything Dexron III so you never know what you're getting.

Here's the confusion
http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...ase_30NO07.doc)
"DEXRONŽ-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware" and "DEXRONŽ-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications."
GM stopped licensing anything Dexron < VI at the end of 2006. Anything Dexron II, III, etc produced after that date is not licensed by GM to use that name. You might see things like "Dex/Merc" on the shelves since and they don't meet Dexron VI standards or aren't licensed, they can't use the word "Dexron" in their name.

GM terminated all licensing for the production of Dexron III in 2006. The company advised GM vehicle owners that any other manufacturer's claims made of compatibility past 2006 without official GM endorsement would be inaccurate. GM informed the public that the only fluid compatible with Dexron III was the replacement Dexron VI. The automaker then authorized licensing of Dexron VI; GM publishes a list of companies and product names that comply with its specifications for the fluid
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Castrol makes a multi vehicle ATF and covers also Dexron 3,You can mix Dexron 3 with Dexron 6.Dexron 6 is a premium Synthetic ATF used in most newer GM vehicles.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks that helps a lot. That info never came up when I goggled it.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
My RV calls for Dexron III in the hyd system. Monaco says 35 quarts of fluid in the system. My question is can I use Dexron III/ Mecron in the system? Has anyone done this? Thanks
I have used it in our 99 dip in the Allison every 2 yrs fluid change and in the hyd steering fluid change also in our 2000 Dyn Allison until I switched to synthetic
you can use that or AW46 that is what I used when I replaced my hyd fluid after a CAC repair, if you live up north the Dexron lll is a better choice. The fluid I used stated Dexron lll/ Mecron also used it in my GM vehicles for fluid change in transmission.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
"DEXRONŽ-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware" and "DEXRONŽ-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications."

So, if I need to top off my hydraulic resivior on my 99 endeavor dp containing Dexron III, I can just add the Dexron VI without worry of compatability or mixing?
Homey55 is offline   Reply With Quote