Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diagnose dash A/C Problem

So I bought this 2010 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ 2 1/2 months ago with 28,000 miles on it. It has an ISL425 Cummins and a 10K Onan. It seems to be in good condition with a few exceptions, the main one is the dash AC.
In the previous owners maintenance records they had an issue with the dash AC not cooling very well. As I first started driving the MH I noticed the dash AC would cool just ok and then not so well. It really wasn't doing so well overall, so I took the MH to a Freightliner shop and this was their diagnosis: "Freon was slightly low at 2.65 lbs, no leaks found Vac and charge system to 3.5 lbs and found still blows 62 degrees out of vents, checked temp on AC lines going into evaporator found 34 degrees, checked evaporator core temp found 36 degrees removed blower motor and checked for damaged HVAC box none found on the outside. Lifted dash panel and checked the inside, unable to fully access HVAC box, advised foreman will need to remove HVAC box or remove dash to inspect HVAC box for sucking fresh or outside air after evaporator core."
Service manager told me that flap/door or something not allowing air to go across evaporator. Dash would have to be taken out and that would be very expensive because it would take 25 to 30 hours labor. I chose to wait on that.
So, I drove the MH home and still working poorly. Then, one morning it was chilly outside, so I turned the dash heat on and it seem to work somewhat. However, now when I turn it back to AC it still blows hot air out the vents.
Now, let me back up and fill in my thought. When I first drove the MH, it sounded like there was some wind noise at the top front of the entrance door which I now believe is a vacuum line broken or cracked.
My brother stood by that area as I drove and he agrees it is either a vacuum or air line which I can't access. So we pulled the generator out on the rails and my brother pointed out there was a vacuum generator in that area with a line running into the dash. We removed the leather padded piece at the top front of the entrance door and it appears the same line from the vacuum generator was running up the area between the front door and the windshield. I don't have the ability to access the area above the entry door to see if in fact their is a broken/cracked line that could be the reason why the flaps/doors inside the dash aren't directing the air as it should. Does this line go back to the engine? If anyone has had this issue please let me know the solution. Also, if you know of a repair source that I could take the MH to that can tackle this problem.
Thanks.
mbunchfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #2

Now, let me back up and fill in my thought. When I first drove the MH, it sounded like there was some wind noise at the top front of the entrance door which I now believe is a vacuum line broken or cracked.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Our 2007 has an air seal around the door. The inner seal fills with air when put in drive.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:15 AM   #3

Another thought to add to mix is hot coolant shut off valve is not working properly.
Some Owners have also added valves near motor to both heater hoses . It can keep you on the road if one of hoses leaks.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Another thought to add to mix is hot coolant shut off valve is not working properly.
Some Owners have also added valves near motor to both heater hoses . It can keep you on the road if one of hoses leaks.
This is a common issue with automotive type A/C. Easy to test. Clamp off the supply hose for the heater using padded vice grips. The added valves is an excellent suggestion. Let us know how you make out.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #5
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xqF0k...SmGal?e=VBuBx3

Our 2008 Endeavor does not have a door seal, I wish it did.\

Here are some notes gathered over the years that might help.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
mbunchfive, are you asking if the vacuum line runs back to the engine?
The answer is no. Diesel engines do not create vacuum like automotive gasoline engines. Diesels rely on an electric operated vacuum generator.

I would install a gate valve on the hot water heater hose up in the generator compartment before it enters the dash heater core area. Manually turn it off in the summer and on in the winter.

For the vacuum leak, I would temporarily clamp off the vacuum hose going up above the door. Then see if your other air doors work correctly.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dash air conditioning, monaco, problem