Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Angry Diagnostic query

Purchased a Scan guage D that uses J1708 or J1939 (round) cable plugs....all i can find (so far) under the dash is a rectangular-12 pin - female diagnostic plug that is OBD II I guess....should I keep looking or try and buy an adapter or return this scan guage.......any help from those that have used this guage is much appreciated...

Thanks
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

1996 was the first year for OBD2 to be required on cars. I don't think it was a requirement on diesel motors in trucks and mh's. I would call a Cummins repair garage and ask them if it available on your year. You maybe wasting your money. I have a round diagnostic plug in my engine compartment so you might want to look there
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
KIX

Does a '96 8.3 actually store dtc's? I am thinking the first electronic version of the 8.3 was after '96.
I am sure you do not have OBDII
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

KIX...Had an Allison tech hook up his computer to this port a few months back & he was able to get all engine & tranny info...thats what got me thinking scan gauge...but have had discussions with customer support @ scan gauge & they think it might be an ALDL port...need to send them a photo to confirm...they seem to think their gauge will work with the proper adapter!!!!...thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansrun View Post
KIX...Had an Allison tech hook up his computer to this port a few months back & he was able to get all engine & tranny info...thats what got me thinking scan gauge...but have had discussions with customer support @ scan gauge & they think it might be an ALDL port...need to send them a photo to confirm...they seem to think their gauge will work with the proper adapter!!!!...thanks
So did the tech hook to the 12 pin you mentioned in the OP? Or, are you saying the tech hooked to another port that you are looking to find?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

The tech hooked up to the 12 pin port....my question is the Scan gauge people say anything after 1987 is compatible to either J1708 or J1939, so where do I look for the round "J" connection, does it even exist...has anyone out there had this experience????
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

In the engine compartment. Call the tech that did it and ask him
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Look on the steering Column or bundles of wire near there. Sometimes they can hide from prying eyes. LOL

LEN
Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 AM   #9

I found my round connector on a 2000 Diplomat near the front left foot area. It originates from under the left wall cover that houses the trans shifter panel and assorted switches.

Good luck.

Harry P
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
KIX

My coach is an '02. The round connector was on the "firewall" left of steer wheel. MOunted in a box attached to the 'firewall
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #11

Thanks...I C a square black box on the firewall thats about six inches square, with half dozen screws on the lid....didn't look thick enuff to hide the J connector......
UPDATE:::was in touch with scan gauge today & it seems I have an ALDL diagnostic port that can be used with the proper adapter cable, which they will supply for free...I like free....will keep you posted....thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
KIX

The box in my coach was rectangular and there was a diagnostic switch, an ABS switch and the round connector. There was not a cover that needed to be removed. Then again we have different manufacturers too.
Your update sounds like you have a handle on it now.