RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Choices

Hi gang; I just bought my first DP and when I go to fuel up I don't know which choice on the pump display to select. It seems that different suppliers have different wording for the type of fuel I need, this is at the truck island pumps. If someone out there can set me straight I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

?

Diesel fuel. DEF is for newer units requiring it. One for Refer units or off road is no road tax, problems if the IRS catches you, or authorized road tax inspectors.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't know if they still call it No 2 diesel or not. Red dye is off road. Green dye is over the road. Some folks add kerosene in the winter to keep diesel from jelling. And there are some stations selling a blend of diesel & biodiesel. Either will work find. That's all you should need.

Dave
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I would stay away from the biodiesel - corrodes equipment and will eat away plastic tubing. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel - Often it is called Ultra low sulfur highway diesel or something to that labeling. Number 2 diesel used in the winter is ok as well - prevents freezing in the northern climates.
RV_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I like McDonald's french fried cooking oil. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Explorer View Post
I would stay away from the biodiesel - corrodes equipment and will eat away plastic tubing. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel - Often it is called Ultra low sulfur highway diesel or something to that labeling. Number 2 diesel used in the winter is ok as well - prevents freezing in the northern climates.
Number 2 may be fine for places in the 'lower 48' but once it gets down to about 10 degrees and lower, you had better have switched over to DF1 or DFA. Number 2 (DFA2) will jell when the temps drop and you will NOT get it started until you get the system warmed up.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Explorer View Post
Number 2 diesel is what you normally get, in winter you get winter fuel (in the northern states that is) which is a blend of #1 and #2 diesel. This lowers the gel (or cloud point).
Watch out if you fill up in the warmer states that don't need winter blend and you go north and hit cold weather. About the only cure for really gelled fuel is put in a warm (heated) garage and wait for the fuel to warm up. The gel plugs up the fuel filter over and over until warm enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #8

Run additives, don't switch to number one diesel. Almost all parts stores and truck stops up north will have 911 or other additives that will lower the gel point on number two. Number two also doesn't gel until it's around zero degrees F. and very few of us run our motor homes when it's that cold. It can be a problem storing a MH below zere degrees, once the fuel in the filter gels it pretty much destroys the filter and it will have to be replaced in the spring when you want to use your MH.

Number one diesel is not nearly as good a fuel as number two. You will have quite a loss of power and more fuel pump and injector problems with it.

My experience, I worked on the north slope of Alaska for 15 years where it was below zero six months of the year.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Watch out for additives that are not low sulfur. If they don't say they are low sulfur, they aren't. No worries if you are pre DPF.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Watch out for additives that are not low sulfur.
Why?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

Sulfur is only a problem for newer emissions coaches. They have a device like a catalytic converter if you have a cummins pre 2007 no issue
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but along the same vein... Since I will be placing my DP into storage next month, tucked away until April, how do I handle my fuel tank for storage? We live along the Lake Michigan coast so temps will be somewhat moderate (not Arizona cool but not Minnesota cold either) so how should I leave the tank? Pour some 911 in the tank and run it for a few miles to get the additive throughout the system? Do I fill the tank (hope not - it is a 200 gal tank) or is 1/2 tank ok? I plan to replace fuel filters in Spring, but will need to fire coach and remove it from (community) storage barn before I can work on it.
TurbineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #13

TurbineGuy,
I would leave the tank at half and put in the right amount of 911, drive it a bit and store. Should be fine in the spring. Just like you said.

To the question above about low sulfur, adding a few onces of additive really isn't going to have much of an effect on the sulfur ppm in the tank. I sure wouldn't worry about it. When the low sulfur engines were coming out not all stations were converted, we were told we could run the odd tank of low sulfur instead of the ultra low sulfur and it wouldn't hurt anything and we did it all the time will no ill effects, well at least I did.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Why?
The reason we went to low sulfur diesel is 2007 and newer diesel engines had to have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to pass emissions. Sulfur clogs the filter. How much does it take? I don't know. How much is in an additive? I don't know that either. I do know a new DPF is $$$. If your MH doesn't have a DPF then this doesn't apply.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote