RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
BioborJf is in a different chemical group altogether. This chemical has been used for years to keep algae from growing in diesel tanks. If you leave your coach in storage for periods of time BioborJF is good insurance. It definitely works. Power Service is mostly alcohol.

IMO your a wise man.

It's right up there with A/C stop leak.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post

Dr4Film (Richard) - I have thought the biodiesel adds lubricity to the USLD, however the emulsified water in biodiesel can be a concern (reduced fuel efficiency?). I have used Stanadyne lubricity formula (concentrated form) for a number of years for the dual function lubricity adder and water de-emulsifier. I do not subscribe to the "increased fuel efficiency" from additives (i.e. cetane boosters). Have you ever compared Diesel Kleen to other additives for function/performance, specifically Stanadyne concentrated lubricity? My past number crunching showed my Stanadyne concentrated lubricity added a cost of about 4cents/USgal. Diesel Kleen similar?

I started using lubricity adders when I drove a diesel with the HP fuel pumps from Bosch (Ford 6.4). I did not want to take any chance with piling up the pump and replacing/flushing the entire fuel system. Now that I have a late 2016 400ISL I believe the lubricity adder is not required. Your thoughts?
Brian,

I have not tried any other additives except for the Diesel Kleen mixed with the Biobor JF so I cannot comment on any other additive and how effective it is compared to others.

I have an older ISC-350 so I am not familiar with the aspects of the ISl-400 or ISL-400-2 which came a little later.

Hopefully someone with an ISL-400 or 400-2 will chime in.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got a tank of bad fuel from a Love's. Had to treat it to kill the microorganisms. I bought Diesel Mate and their Biocide. Worked as I was told it would, had the fuel tested after 36 hours of not moving the coach, my Cetane went up 5 points no more micro organisms (had it tested by a different co, just to be sure I wasn't getting snowed). I am still sucking the crud into my filters, and I am sure I will be for a little while longer. I run the Diesel mate all the time now at fill ups. Older engines need the lubricant the newer ones can benefit from it but its not so critical.
We have been experimenting at work (over 1000 road tractors) and we have noticed an improvement with MPG and the drivers have passed comments on how much better the tractors seem to run (not knowing we put additives in the tanks). The one comment made from the drivers was "my tractor doesn't regenerate as often now, any idea why?"
We are looking into adding an auto dispense system into our fuel racks at each location and purchasing it by the drum. ULSD has less lubricant, when you add a Bio blend you get some of it back, but here is still a high sodium content within the new diesel fuel that is hard on older design pumps and injectors.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #18

just thanks to all the posters ; very informative
Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #19

Most of the posters have pre DPF MH's. If one has a MH with a DPF using any of the magic additives can cause the DPF to plug!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Most of the posters have pre DPF MH's. If one has a MH with a DPF using any of the magic additives can cause the DPF to plug!
Wrong information! All Power Services products (including Diesel Kleen) are safe for ALL diesel engines, including engines with DPF, DEF, EGR, SCR, etc....

I cannot imagine any manufacturer of diesel additives would make something that would harm emission control devices on any production engine. If you have research that shows additives plug DPFs I would like to see it; otherwise your claim is anecdotal.

Link here.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post
Anyone have any experience with Power Service's Diesel Kleen?
Grady Ray
Every tank full I use it, never had any assues, and used it on my Dodge diesel trucks for years, it does work, or has for me
RonD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

This is the scientific study I made my decision from. Optilube is second, Diesel Kleen is farther down. Make your own choice. I was interested in the best lubriciity adder with Cetane improvement second. I run Optlube with a maintenance dose of an algecide.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Could you tell us why that is the case, the manufacturers don't say that, have you experience of this happening?
RonD1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching thanks good info
Old 09-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #25

When I make my decisions to use supplemental diesel fuel additives for whatever reason? I always take a hard look at a companies background and when doing so.

Stanadyne has been making diesel HP pumps and HP injectors for the leading diesel manufactures for over a hundred years.

I would be willing to bet that Stanadyne see and do more controlled study injector pump and injector wear analysis and failure analysis in a week than most additive companies do in five years. I would not be the least bit surprised that that most additive companies sub contract out what little studies that they do....if any.

Also when doing in house controlled studies, they also KNOW the long term effects of the chemicals used in their products on other components in the fuel system.

JMOICBW
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

BioborJf is in a different chemical group altogether. This chemical has been used for years to keep algae from growing in diesel tanks. If you leave your coach in storage for periods of time BioborJF is good insurance. It definitely works.

Power Service is mostly alcohol.
I think you had better do more research on the product Diesel Kleen before spouting incorrect information.

It CLEARLY states "Does not contain alcohol of any kind".

Here is the MSDS for Diesel Kleen if you care to read through it for alcohol content.

http://powerservice.com/wp-content/u...2016-FINAL.pdf

And here is the Tech Bulletin for more reading.

http://powerservice.com/wp-content/u...TB-3800_V1.pdf

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Good friend of mine own a diesel repair shop. He mostly sticks to Fords because he used to be the lead tech at a Ford dealership. He says he has only uses the Diesel Kleen in his stuff but not for mileage. He says the benefits of lubrication far outweigh the mileage factor. Injectors are expensive. That's pretty much the only reason I use it. If it gets me a little better mileage then that's just a bonus. Just my thoughts.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #28

A year ago our number 5 injector when bad. Cummins did the 1500.00 replacement. Since then I have been using Standyne at ever fill-up. The power feels better, the engine appears to run smoother, and fuel mileage is noticeably better. Now all of these improvements could be due to a full complement of functioning injectors--but I will not go without Standyne. And Stanadyne is available at about all AutoZones part/supply stores.
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel