Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel Kleen?

Anyone have any experience with Power Service's Diesel Kleen?
Grady Ray
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

I use it with every fill up.

Grey bottle in the summer keeps the injectors clean. White bottle in the winter prevents gelling.

Both add lubricity that I'm told my old C8.3 needs... And ULS Diesel lacks.

I can tell the injector cleaner in the grey bottle works, as after a tank full the coach just seems to run better.

Other than that... It just makes me feel better! 😄
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

Snake oil and unnecessary in mho
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #4

This link should answer all your concerns. I use Opti-lube summer blend. It's cheap insurance...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...y-results.html
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I call bulls***! Stretch!
I know for a fact that it works, and will return you the price it cost with fuel savings, Plus some!! I used it all the time in MH and my semi, and it does what it says! I was a OO for 12 years, and kept very close track of my fuel costs, especially when fuel went to 4.50 a gallon, and I could notice a 3/10ths a gallon better MPG when using Power Service! Plus, in 12 years of OTR trucking, I only had 1 injector go out, and it was a broke part, not clogged! It is not the only one out there either, Howes, Opti-lube, works just as good, as do a few others!
And what vtwinwilly said too!! Rail!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I also use it every tankful. I buy it direct from PSC by the case
It does help fuel mileage slightly And my peace of mind.
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post

Anyone have any experience with Power Service's Diesel Kleen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post

I know for a fact that it works, and will return you the price it cost with fuel savings, Plus some!! I used it all the time in MH and my semi, and it does what it says! I was a OO for 12 years, and kept very close track of my fuel costs, especially when fuel went to 4.50 a gallon, and I could notice a 3/10ths a gallon better MPG when using Power Service! Plus, in 12 years of OTR trucking, I only had 1 injector go out, and it was a broke part, not clogged! It is not the only one out there either, Howes, Opti-lube, works just as good, as do a few others!

There will always be people that will call anything and everything "Snake Oil". For those people there is nothing that you will do to change their minds. Take a look at the Tyron Band thread as to the number of people there that had posted about those bands being "Snake Oil".

I use Diesel Kleen mixed with a maintenance level of Biobor JF in every other tank or every third tankful. I don't believe that you have to use it on every tankful well at least I don't but that is up to each individual.

Diesel Kleen improves the lubricity of the fuel and God knows we definitely need that for our engines and fuel delivery systems. So many fueling stations have gone to Bio-diesel at various levels and it will only get worse.

Diesel Kleen also improves your mpg, not huge differences but over time it can be calculated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

There will always be people that will call anything and everything "Snake Oil". For those people there is nothing that you will do to change their minds. Take a look at the Tyron Band thread as to the number of people there that had posted about those bands being "Snake Oil".

I use Diesel Kleen mixed with a maintenance level of Biobor JF in every other tank or every third tankful. I don't believe that you have to use it on every tankful well at least I don't but that is up to each individual.

Diesel Kleen improves the lubricity of the fuel and God knows we definitely need that for our engines and fuel delivery systems. So many fueling stations have gone to Bio-diesel at various levels and it will only get worse.

Diesel Kleen also improves your mpg, not huge differences but over time it can be calculated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I agree.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #9

BioborJf is in a different chemical group altogether. This chemical has been used for years to keep algae from growing in diesel tanks. If you leave your coach in storage for periods of time BioborJF is good insurance. It definitely works. Power Service is mostly alcohol.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

BioborJF is in fact a biocide made to kill algae. That is its only claim to fame.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Not to get too far off topic and to further people's education just a little about diesel fuel, Biobor JF is used to kill or prevent any microbial growth including algae.

EPA's definition of Microbial Growth - The amplification or multiplication of microorganisms such as bacteria, algae, diatoms, plankton, and fungi.

HERE is a good article regarding diesel fuel and microbial growth problems.

I use a preventative level dose as I drive all over the country but now I am spending more time on the east coast and especially in Florida.

The mixture of Diesel Kleen and Biobor JF covers me for any problems that may creep up while fueling up at various places around the country.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Dr4Film (Richard) - I have thought the biodiesel adds lubricity to the USLD, however the emulsified water in biodiesel can be a concern (reduced fuel efficiency?). I have used Stanadyne lubricity formula (concentrated form) for a number of years for the dual function lubricity adder and water de-emulsifier. I do not subscribe to the "increased fuel efficiency" from additives (i.e. cetane boosters). Have you ever compared Diesel Kleen to other additives for function/performance, specifically Stanadyne concentrated lubricity? My past number crunching showed my Stanadyne concentrated lubricity added a cost of about 4cents/USgal. Diesel Kleen similar?

I started using lubricity adders when I drove a diesel with the HP fuel pumps from Bosch (Ford 6.4). I did not want to take any chance with piling up the pump and replacing/flushing the entire fuel system. Now that I have a late 2016 400ISL I believe the lubricity adder is not required. Your thoughts?

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I agree 100%. I have used Power Service for my old ISC for the past six years. At first I wasn't sure if it was worthwhile or not so I began tracking my fuel mileage with it and without. Consistently my mile would go from 8.3 - 8.4 average without Power Service to 8.6 - 9.0 with ( 1 Liter per fill) Power Service added. It is less expensive than some others and is available at a variety of stores. Sometimes on sale at a good price so I buy 3-4 jugs at a time.
So for me, No, it's not BS Snakeoil.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Dr4Film (Richard) - I have thought the biodiesel adds lubricity to the USLD, however the emulsified water in biodiesel can be a concern (reduced fuel efficiency?). I have used Stanadyne lubricity formula (concentrated form) for a number of years for the dual function lubricity adder and water de-emulsifier. I do not subscribe to the "increased fuel efficiency" from additives (i.e. cetane boosters). Have you ever compared Diesel Kleen to other additives for function/performance, specifically Stanadyne concentrated lubricity? My past number crunching showed my Stanadyne concentrated lubricity added a cost of about 4cents/USgal. Diesel Kleen similar?

I started using lubricity adders when I drove a diesel with the HP fuel pumps from Bosch (Ford 6.4). I did not want to take any chance with piling up the pump and replacing/flushing the entire fuel system. Now that I have a late 2016 400ISL I believe the lubricity adder is not required. Your thoughts?

Brian

Should have said "late 2006 ISL" - Can't find the edit thread button right now.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel