Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Dingy lights

what is the best way to hook brake signal & tail lights from my rv to my 99 ford explorer
elbie bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I use these when I tow my Jeep

Magnetic Towing lights

http://www.amazon.com/Grote-65720-5-...ilpage_o06_s00
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

The problem with the lights recommended is that the 12volt wires leading from the lights to the plug on the coach will rub on the toads paint a scratch it . Not good. Perhaps would be ok if someway was found to stop rubbing. A better way, in my opinion is to buy the wireless setup a bit more money but paint is saved.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow/hitch shops use a diode pack that allows you to hook your trailer connector on the MH to the existing lights on your TOAD. There's some wiring you have to do and a connector you near your tow bar attach points. Works slick.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What kind of braking system are you using. If it is one that actually depresses the brake pedal your brake lights will work so you really just need turn signal lights.

I used a kit that uses a 2nd set of bulbs in your tail light assembly. Basically you just drill the right size hole in the back of the tail light and install the bulb. Then you mount the wiring harness on the front of the Explorer and snake the wires to the back of the Explorer and wire the new bulbs based on the color code for left/right turn signals.

By doing this you don't have to tap into the existing wiring of the explorer.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Ran magnetic lights for a couple of years. Never had a significant problem with scratching but didn't like having to take them down every time we unhooked.

Converted to diode kit provided by Hopkins Towing Solutions about 1 1/2 years ago that works well.

I guess the decision is how much you will tow vrs the cost of alternatives to magnetic lights.

Good Luck
Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #7

So why the use of diodes?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Diodes are used to utilize the dingy's tail lights. Unnecessary if using externally mounted lights.

Another option is to permanently mount low profile trailer lights to the rear bumper of the dingy.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
What kind of braking system are you using. If it is one that actually depresses the brake pedal your brake lights will work so you really just need turn signal lights.
There are a couple of reasons this is a really, really bad idea. The pedal activation is delayed by the energy transfer to the toad (the links are generally under tension and when the brakes are applied the slack comes out of the links before the toad experiences resistance), then the pendulum needs to move a set amount, then the electronics fire compressed air into a cylinder that causes the brake pedal to move. At highway speed the vehicles will have moved quite a distance before the brake lights come on.

Next, it presumes you have not had a problem with your supplemental brake system. I've had mine blow a fuse in the toad and it didn't have any air pressure.

Last, the OP doesn't say what kind of RV he has (always a good idea to put it in your signature), but if it has an engine or exhaust brake, it won't activate the brake lights on the toad.

You really want the toad brake lights to come on when the coach lights come on with the only delay being the speed of light. BTW, since I switched to a toad with LED tail lights I noticed the toad lights actually come on first by a noticeable amount.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
So why the use of diodes?
Diodes are one-way electrical gates. You need two per circuit, and they allow both the toad and the coach to send power to the light, but when the power comes from the coach it can't run backwards into the toad's circuits, and vice versa.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
T-Connector -Early Model Ford Explorer, Mazda Tribute & Mercury Mountaineer
Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #12

I understand that electrical diodes are for lack of a better description one -way electrical valves. I have never seen an issue in "my" dinghy and have never used them, only because I forgot to buy them when I was originally doing he wiring and never end up installing any.

The only drawback I can see to this method is this far ( 2 years) that if you are in the dinghy and it is plugged into the coach it will feed back from the dingy to the coach into that particular circuit......... and have found that to work in my favor as I can check all the rear lights in the coach and the dinghy sitting in the drivers seat of the dinghy when hooking up and know that all the lighting other than coach head lights is working correct.

Im not contradicting any method suggested here for dinghy lighting other than using the dinghy brake controller to activate the brake lights and am willing to learn of any short comings of my failure to install diodes and listen to suggestions ....never too old to learn.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since I brought this up I'll say more but others may have more examples.

The use of diodes is more of a "good practice" thing in that you typically do not connect two power sources together. The reason is that "12 volts" in one places is not the same as "12 volts" somewhere else and whichever is higher will cause current flow to the other. You don't want current flowing "into" a power source because it's not designed to do that. Designers make it be a "supply" not a "load".

The practical reason is that vehicle designers are bad about putting circuitry in that we don't know about.

For example, some vehicle brake light circuits have a "trailer package". I don't know this to be true but I've seen what looks like a "booster box" to provide more current when a trailer is attached. If that booster has electrical outputs then you could be trying to put power on an electrical box where power was not intended.

Good design would suggest to the designer that he think these things might happen during the vehicles life and he/she should plan for it. Good design isn't always practiced.

Not to get too nerdy in this, think of the practice of belts and suspenders. Some of us wear both because it's good practice to avoid having your pants fall down. It might not happen but under the right scenario it might be an experience we don't want to have
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 AM   #14

I believe the wiring harness above is correct if the OP wants to add the ability to tow a trailer with his 1999 Ford Explorer. He'd need a different product to make the Explorer towable by his motorhome. I could be incorrect, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights