Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Diplomat Emergency Flashers Work Only A Few Minutes

When slowly traveling up or down a steep grade, I would like to use my emergency flashers to alert those behind me that I am just crawling along.

The problem is that my flashers will only flash for a few minutes. Sometimes 1 minute, other times 5 minutes. When it stops working, it sometimes stops in the off position, other time in the on position. The turn signals all work normally.

Could this just be a bad relay? Maybe it gets over heated after operating for a short time?

Could anyone point me to where this relay could be found on a 2002 Diplomat?
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

If you have a toad, the flasher may be overloaded.

Turn them on and listen for the noise to find it.
Better to find it now, while it's still working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The best way to find it is turn the emergency flashers on and listen for the clicking of the relay.

We had a similar problem, the flashers would work intermittently. My wife was getting ready for a trip and they wouldn't work, she took it to a shop but they couldn't find it. I told her to just used the Jeeps flashers if there was an emergency.

One day when I was working on the coach I decided to try the flashers and they worked, I listened to the clicking and traced it behind the dash. I took the radio out and listened and felt for the clicker. Found it under a pile of wire in just plugged into a socket hanging loose. Took it out and went and got a similar one at an Auto Parts store. Has worked fine for ~3 years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have my wiring schematic at home (it's in storage with the rig), but I'm fairly certain that the emerg lights are actually switched on & off using a relay. The relay is controlled by a normal flasher. So either device could be your problem.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. I will try finding the flasher/relay and report back if I am successful in fixing the problem.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

OK, I found the flasher relay on my 2002 Diplomat. It was under the steering column cover. The part is a "Grote Electronic Flasher #44690". I have ordered one, and will report back if it works.

There is also a flasher fuse located in the electronic bay outside under the driver area, but the fuse was fine.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

UPDATE

The new flasher relay solved the problem completely. I guess the old one was just malfunctioning after it was active for a while. A time and temperature thing.

All is good now!