Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Lightbulb Diplomat rear slide/closet problems.

I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat 38D, the rear slide is the bedroom closet. It has a tremendous amount of vertical movement. When it slides out the top lags way behind the bottom if I stop half way I can rock it back and forth top to bottom. Well it bound up the other day and quit working I was able to push from the outside while the wife operated the switch. When we got home I couldn't get it open. I located the motor under the bed and pinion gear spins on its shaft. Two questions.

How is the pinion gear attached to the shaft?
Is there any adjustment to take that vertical rockyness out of the slide?

I know rockyness isn't a word but I couldn't think of a better descriptive.

I'm fairly certain the slide topper isn't the problem.
LS-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at the bottom of the slide (from outside) for rot or damage? It's a common problem on these things.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

The bottom of the slide is fine it doesn't appear to be wood. I'm wondering if between the floor of the closet and bottom of the slide there aren't some adjustments.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You mentioned the bed slide. Can you see any rollers inside the bed frame? Or can you pull down the rubber seal from outside and see what type of rollers you have?

Some rollers have to have the weight taken off before you can adjust them or you will strip the threads and ruin it. Others, you can adjust with the weight of the slide on it.

You mentioned rocking back and forth. There has been some threads here about the bed frame pulling away from the slide, basically making some of the rollers ineffective. That will cause the slide wall to rock back and forth when it's in transit. Watch the bed in relation to the slide wall as you move it in and out. They need to slide in and out together, no flexing.

just some thoughts.....
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

The bed in our model is not sideways. Our heads lay to rest in the very rear of the coach our feet towards the front. there is walkway on each side of the bed.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

The only thing in the slide is a closet above, and three sets of drawers two high under the hanging clothes closet. The bed is is in no way attached to the slide.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
ok, that throws the bed theory out the door. I'd now figure out what type of rollers you have, how many and where they are located.

I had to remove my passenger side bedroom slide a couple years ago to replace some rollers. There was no way I could access them otherwise.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #8

how did you support the slide while removing ?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-one View Post
how did you support the slide while removing ?
I wish I had pictures, but I don't.

I built a rolling plywood box. Very stout. It was about 8" lower than the slide itself. I then put small bottle jacks on top of the table, under the slide.

After removing all the wood trim inside, the jacks would lift the slide up off the rollers. Then we used cribbing to help support the slide on the table. With 2 of us, we were able to roll the entire slide out just enough to get to the rollers from the inside of the bedroom. So actually the slide was not completely out of the coach, but enough for full access to the rollers.

We replaced the rollers, then put everything back together. Quite a project, but do-able. It's been about 4 years ago, and the slide operates perfectly.

If you had access to a fork lift or a bobcat with forks, I think it would be even easier, but I didn't at the time.

Tags
ems, problem, problems, slide