Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Diplomat Step Cover

On our '99 Diplomat, the air cylinder that extends and retracts the step cover in front of the passenger seat is leaking air in the extended position. I can't find any access to the cylinder in order to remove and rebuild it. Anyone know how I get to it?

Also, the ABS light is on on the instrument panel and has been on for quite a while - many miles. I have checked everything related to braking and find no problems. All braking is working fine and brake shoes are good. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On mine, when I extend the step cover I can lay on my back on the steps, look up to see the cylinder. I don't know if yours is made the same way.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
At the back of the cylinder there is a bolt holding it in place the goes through the floor. If you slide out your generator, you will be able to unbolt it from underneath. Disconnect the rod from the step cover and you should be able to pull it out in order to remove the air lines. That was the way with my 99 Dynasty.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On the abs light, it would be a good thing to hook up a scanner and pull a code. This will take more than the cheap scanners that only read powertrain codes.
But...
An ABS light is generally from a wheel sensor. The system looks for wheel sensors that are not plugged in (opens) and a loose connection would trigger the light. The first thing I would do is disconnect and reconnect each wheel sensor.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
On our '99 Diplomat, ...

... the ABS light is on on the instrument panel and has been on for quite a while - many miles. I have checked everything related to braking and find no problems. All braking is working fine and brake shoes are good. Any suggestions?
In addition to the above good advice, check the plug to the ABS module in the left front run bay.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #6

After jimkate's response, I discovered that the carpet on the top riser of the entry steps folds down to expose the business end of the cylinder. A couple of shots of WD40 to the seal and ram seems to have solved the problem - a dry seal, typical here in arid country.