Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Joined this form after buying a Holiday Rambler (2002 40ft Endeavor)and meeting "Drifter" at the dealer. This is my first real post after being on a 7 week trip down south and I need some help. By the way we have been RV'ing for 15 years so we are not newbies but we are newbies to a Big Rig.

Coach performed beautifully and the living was wonderful...it was all we were expectsd from a Holiday Rambler. BUT the ride was horrible. We were jared by every bridge and every bump or crack as if we went into a 2 foot hole. It got so bad I stopped before every RR track. The unit has 45000 miles. We are just about ready for new tires but had each one pulled and check before we left and the mechanic said they were all OK except one rear that had a little extra wear. Have a pressure pro system and kept constant check on the pressure. On the last couple days on way home I dropped the pressure in all tires by 5 lbs each day but that didn't make any noticible change.

I am left with the conclusion that the shocks must be worn out after 45000 miles. If the concensus here agrees, I'm thinking I will try the "KONI" shocks that I read about on the various forums. Do any of you have these and are they as wonderfull as people say.

I need to correct this ride quality because I don't think I can live with it like this. If every 2002 Endeavor rides like this one .....there should be none on the road.

Comments, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Joined this form after buying a Holiday Rambler (2002 40ft Endeavor)and meeting "Drifter" at the dealer. This is my first real post after being on a 7 week trip down south and I need some help. By the way we have been RV'ing for 15 years so we are not newbies but we are newbies to a Big Rig.

Coach performed beautifully and the living was wonderful...it was all we were expectsd from a Holiday Rambler. BUT the ride was horrible. We were jared by every bridge and every bump or crack as if we went into a 2 foot hole. It got so bad I stopped before every RR track. The unit has 45000 miles. We are just about ready for new tires but had each one pulled and check before we left and the mechanic said they were all OK except one rear that had a little extra wear. Have a pressure pro system and kept constant check on the pressure. On the last couple days on way home I dropped the pressure in all tires by 5 lbs each day but that didn't make any noticible change.

I am left with the conclusion that the shocks must be worn out after 45000 miles. If the concensus here agrees, I'm thinking I will try the "KONI" shocks that I read about on the various forums. Do any of you have these and are they as wonderfull as people say.

I need to correct this ride quality because I don't think I can live with it like this. If every 2002 Endeavor rides like this one .....there should be none on the road.

Comments, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #3

3xpepere, if you go to the roadmaster chassis forum you will find quite a few posts on the koni's. we have the same chassis on our beaver and i feel that they were the best change i've made to our coach! might check your ride hight also. good luck! jim.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
HERE is what I posted on the Roadmaster forum about my experience with new Koni shocks. If you've got 45,000 mile on your OEM Monroe shocks they might need replacing - they weren't much good when new. If I were replacing shocks, I'd definately go with Koni FSD shocks.

Two other things that effect ride comfort are having the correct ride height, as beaverjim said, and also the right tire pressure. Some folks fill their tires up to the rated pressure on the sidewall, but they should be significantly lower than that in most cases. Use the weight chart in the tire manual, and add 10 psi for Goodyear G670 tires (to prevent cupping at the edge of the tread).
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another Monaco member, mom2mastiffs, just left our location (Lancaster) with their 2004 Dip, headed home to Arizona. AND they just had Koni's put on their coach. Karen called me shortly after leaving here and said the ride felt like a totally different coach - much better. I will stop at that and look for her and Jeffrey to post an update on how they liked it. They also had something else done while here, but not sure of it all.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #6

Read here http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8671082232/m/7021059442/p/1
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had the Koni shocks put on at the Lancaster Pre-rally as well as the safe-t ride and upgraded the brake.
First--the KONI shocks are great! I would highly recommend them 3xpepere! The difference in the ride was significant. Since we drove the same way coming home as going we knew which parts of I-10 are like washboards We really noticed the difference! WE would highly recommend them. We have the 2004 Dip triple slide.
The Rally was great and we had the BEST time. We were lucky that we got to meet Ric and Mic and spend time with them. The BEST people you could meet!
AKbrick--we tried really hard to talk them into sticking around and meeting us in Scottsdale but to no avail
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoneFishin:
Karen called me shortly after leaving here and said the ride felt like a totally different coach - much better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the same feeling we had after replacing the Bilstein's with Monroe's at 40K miles.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's the same feeling we had after replacing the Bilstein's with Monroe's at 40K miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron,

So, your point would be that ANY new shocks would make a difference after 40K miles, correct? (Not that you prefer Monroe shocks to Bilsteins)
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My 01 Dynasty rides like it has no shocks, so this confirms the fact that I get to spend even more money and replace the shocks with new Koni's before we head out across country.
Gloria has a birthday coming up....wonder if she would like a new set of shocks
Ahhh, probably not????
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bruce...
Don't even go there! I remember that Gloria is a Pisces ...when is her birthday?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gloria has a birthday coming up....wonder if she would like a new set of shocks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bruce, you're gonna LOVE those Koni shocks. Just tell Gloria that at her age, she shouldn't be celebrating birthdays anymore, anyway. ...well, on second thought, who am I to give advice on what to tell a woman.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
MM;
Actually it was the 22nd, same as Geroge's......and I was just funnin...after these 43 years of hard training, I think I finnaly may learned better than to do something like that!!
Our oldes son turns 40 next month, and Gloria is going to have a hard time explaining how they are now the same age
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bruce...
Don't even go there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why not,,,what are you getting

A new satellite antenna??? oh yeah, new windshield wiper assembly too!!
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote