Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
DIY adding wireless/wire side cameras on your MH

Just wondering if anybody has checked out adding side wireless/wire cameras on a motorhome or any other RV. The reason I said wireless I don't want to try and fish wires through the motorhome. I want the extra eyes as mine are getting a little worn. Any other ideas will help also.
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I installed a wired side camera in the metal pedestal the right side mirror is mounted on. Not too hard to thread the cable from the mirror pedestal to the dashboard. I had installed a 7" LCD screen to replace an old 5" CRT that died. I wired it so the right turn signal switches the feed from the rear to the right side camera for lane changes. It took about 2 hours to install, a bit longer to figure out the turn signal switching.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
J I don't want to try and fish wires through the motorhome.
Thanks
How does the wireless camera get its power (replaceable batteries)?
What brand/model camera are you looking at?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
How does the wireless camera get its power (replaceable batteries)?
What brand/model camera are you looking at?
Usually "wireless" cameras still need to be wired to 12VDC somewhere, but you don't have to run a video wire inside to the monitor
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #5

I replaced the B&W Sony on my 2000 Executive with a hard wired 4 camera system from RVS. One on each side and two in the rear. The side cameras were relatively easy to install. The hardest part was running new wires from the rear. Pretty scary when you start drilling holes in the outside of your RV. Ideally I wanted cameras that I could mount to my mirrors but I couldn't find any.
Al Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #6

Installed home system in mh

I bought a firstrend brand 8 camera wireless system via amazon for my 98 hr endeavor. Ireplaced the old backup camera and installed a camera on top of each side of mh looking towards rear. Its just like looking out the window of both sides at once, real handy for watching curbs and backing but image is flipped so takes a little getting used to. Also installed csmera in engine bay. infrared night vision is great. The cameras are 12v so you can run power or use the 120v to 12v wall supplies but need genny running for that while driving.

And you need a computer or a phone / tablet to view and internet connection (required to login on phone or tablet but not required for computer with hdmi direct connection to nvr.

I have a dell all in one installed in place of the old 19” tv and the firstrend nvr in the front cabinet right next to it. Plan to run everything off 12v in future including inverter for the computer.

Ive attached a picture of the 4 cameras i have running so far. Planning to add 2 more on side of my 24 ft enclosed trailer including one inside to monitor cargo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB3CB771-3864-481B-8E47-F052BE810831.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	213203  
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has checked out adding side wireless/wire cameras on a motorhome or any other RV. The reason I said wireless I don't want to try and fish wires through the motorhome. I want the extra eyes as mine are getting a little worn. Any other ideas will help also.
Thanks

I wanted a system that provided a large viewing screen that I didn't have to run 60+ feet of cable to make it work. I also wanted a record feature.

After much motivated search and research, I found what I was looking for: https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mc...m.html?acc=535

The Haloview MC7108 is a 7'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Rear View Camera System with built in DVR, that supports video recording up to 4 cameras with infrared LEDs for night vision.

I chose the MC7108 over the Haloview MC7101 7" Digital Wireless Rear View Camera System with built-in DVR
because of the increased transmitting distance (40' coach + 20' trailer).

BONUS, each camera has built-in microphone, so you can hear your spousal unit screaming STOP! STOP! before you take out carport. Great motivation for researching backup cams.

I ordered the system from Amazon and it was just delivered. I plan on mounting a camera on the back of my 18' cargo trailer and one on the front of the coach. I'll add side cameras later.

I'll post an update with photos after I get installed.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, the side camera switchover not only don't help me, they actually bother me in that between proper aiming of my upper and lower mirrors, I have no blind spots except right under the mirror on the passenger side (which is also a blind spot on the side view camera..)

Suggest you test drive one with side view and see if you like it...
The real bother to me is when I use the turn signal to change lanes - I've already looked in my mirrors, used the rearview to make sure the next lanes traffic is behind the toad, then turn on my signal and the rearview picture goes away for seconds which I dislike --- YRMV
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #9

Donoinidaho, any updates??
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

I have been taking a hard look at Owl eye 360 type system. When you chose overhead view its like hovering overhead. You can chose 4 overhead views or actual fish of each camera.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

DIY adding wireless/wire side cameras on your MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Donoinidaho, any updates??

Moira,
I had some health issues set me back time wise but the company that makes the system I purchased has just released designated side cameras compatible with the MC7108 and can be mounted vertically on the side of your vehicle, please see the product: https://www.haloview.com/haloview-ca110-wireless-720p-high-definition-side-camera-for-mc7108-mc5111.html.

I'll update shortly.

Tags
camera