Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #29
YC1

More attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trombetta Relay opened.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	34486  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Hi YC1

I tried the relay and it activates. I never have gave the contacts a thought. Of course you are right. The voltage across the closed contacts should be zero. If its not then I'll replace the solenoid. Thanks you for the insight
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #31
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi YC1

I tried the relay and it activates. I never have gave the contacts a thought. Of course you are right. The voltage across the closed contacts should be zero. If its not then I'll replace the solenoid. Thanks you for the insight
Rick
(

You can get fooled if the battery banks are close to full. A small current flowing through the relay may not cause much of a voltage difference to the point you may decide the relay is ok. The relay may also land on or clear a spot and work fine during your test.

I suggest you determine if the solenoid is being energized with the engine running (after a couple of minutes) and then use shoreline or generator to test with that source. If it does get energized the only issue besides sick batteries is the solenoid. The picture I included shows the green contacts of a bad solenoid. Mine was far worse that the one shown.

A replacement is like replacing a fuel filter, you do it because it will fail at some time. Open the one you have and you can actually overhaul it.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The relay is activated by a module. It's a black box, if the house batteries only charged while you drive then you have an IRD. follow the wires from the coil on the relay and the IRD isn't far away.
The IRD is a device that measures the voltage on the chassis batteries. With the ignition on and voltage above 13.5 volts on the chassis batteries, it will kick in the relay after 2.5 minutes. If a big load comes on the chassis batteries the relay will drop out.
If after a few minutes the relay doesn't kick in then your IRD is probably bad. There maybe a fuse on the ignition wire to the IRD. it's the purple wire. If you can check to see if it has 13v on it, then you would know if the fuse is good.
I hope this helps.
Rick.

So when I put my meter (set to DC voltage) beween the purple wire
and ground with the key on, I should see 12v, correct?

How much and when should there be voltage on the other
side (small wire) of that relay?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
So when I put my meter (set to DC voltage) beween the purple wire
and ground with the key on, I should see 12v, correct?

How much and when should there be voltage on the other
side (small wire) of that relay?

Thanks!
If I remember correctly, the other small wire is ground. You can verify with the ohmmeter .... should be zero ohms (or nearly) between that wire and a clean frame ground. Keep in mind that the pick side of the solenoid (purple) is active only when chassis bat is above 13.5 vdc AND ignition is on ... this usually only occurs when the engine is running (the alternator is providing the higher voltage).
Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
If I remember correctly, the other small wire is ground. You can verify with the ohmmeter .... should be zero ohms (or nearly) between that wire and a clean frame ground. Keep in mind that the pick side of the solenoid (purple) is active only when chassis bat is above 13.5 vdc AND ignition is on ... this usually only occurs when the engine is running (the alternator is providing the higher voltage).

AND there may be a two minute or so time delay. If you do not see any voltage on the purple wire and as mentioned and either set of batteries is being charged at 13.5 volts you can jump the purple wire to either of the large posts and the solenoid should go clunk and will hold in as long as the jumper is in place. If your fingers are touching the little jumper wire you can get a tiny surprise but not harmful except for skinning your knuckles leaving the area.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
AND there may be a two minute or so time delay. If you do not see any voltage on the purple wire and as mentioned and either set of batteries is being charged at 13.5 volts you can jump the purple wire to either of the large posts and the solenoid should go clunk and will hold in as long as the jumper is in place. If your fingers are touching the little jumper wire you can get a tiny surprise but not harmful except for skinning your knuckles leaving the area.
BTW, the BIRD is fused ... usually 5 to 7.5 amp. My fuse is on the main fuse panel on firewall next to Onan genset.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
you can get the relay from these folks Trombetta 114-1211-020 DC Contactor
The relay is energized when the engine (chassis) is running connecting the house batteries to the chassis batteries, one simple change is when you are parked and plugged into shore power you can jumper the relay with a #8 or#6 ga wire with alligator clips, this will keep the chassis battery charged.

Gordie Kaltz 04 dip
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Front road side compartment, lools like this.

I have a IRD; Is it ok to install a BIRD also or as replacement for IRD.
Thanks Bob
recaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #38

You may need a new isolation relay and run a wire. But, yes, you can install a B.I.R.D in place of your I.R.D
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
YC1

Quote:
Hi YC1

Rick
Unless one bank is very low and you get substantial current flow over the contacts they will read 0 so you can get fooled. Think of it as a kinked garden hose. Current can flow but at a very reduced rate. If you have a few years on the solenoid change it out. I bet I could convince you to change your fuel filter easily and it probably costs more. After you replace it take the old one apart and inspect. You should be able to overhaul it and return it to the cabinet as a spare.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Unless one bank is very low and you get substantial current flow over the contacts they will read 0 so you can get fooled. Think of it as a kinked garden hose. Current can flow but at a very reduced rate. If you have a few years on the solenoid change it out. I bet I could convince you to change your fuel filter easily and it probably costs more. After you replace it take the old one apart and inspect. You should be able to overhaul it and return it to the cabinet as a spare.

Are you meaning the solenoid in the front run bay,
the one back next to house/chassis battery bank or both?

By the way, regarding these two devices, should they be called
relays or solenoids?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Hi YCI

I ordered a new big boy relay. I'll put that in when I get it. Then I'll pull apart the old one. I'll let you know what I find.
I installed a echo charger today. I installed another smaller relay in the circuit that shuts off the echo charger off when the key is on so when the IRD turns on and activates the big boy it won't short out the echo charger. Works very well.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Are you meaning the solenoid in the front run bay,
the one back next to house/chassis battery bank or both?

By the way, regarding these two devices, should they be called
relays or solenoids?

Thanks!
Don't know about location in your RV.

Either term is used ... typically, a solenoid is larger and contains an electrical coil. A relay can be the same but is sometimes solid state. Sometimes the word "contactor" is used .... especially if it activates a motor.