Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Do we sell our 38 ft Dynasty or keep it

Been a while since i made a post here. But i have always had good feedback and the welcome knowledge i have gotten when problems have come up !

We have had this coach for 6 years and only used it once !! Things just got in our way of living our life and we didn't use it. I am 70 and wife is 69. It is stored in our pole barn and always plugged in. So it hasn't been subject to the elements. It has the 350 Cummis with 3000 Allison trans.

The coach is in good condition. No water leaks. No major structural issues. Paint is good. One 4 inch hole in rear area where i hit a small tree stump ! I will repair that. Drivers side aft sliding window is somewhat fogged over. There is no slides on this coach. Generator works fine with oil and filter changed. When we bought it ( $32,000 ) the odometer did not work. Last known mileage was 65,000 miles from maintenance records in 2015. We have put at most is 3,000 miles. I do take it out for short drives to keep things exercised !

Things we have done to the coach. Transmission fluid drained and refilled with new filter also. Front wheel bearings repacked. All new batteries including replacing the coach batteries with 4 12V ones. Antifreeze coolant drained, flushed and new filter. New front passenger side windshield. Took old refridge out ( elec/propane ) and installed new one ( elec/propane ). 6 new tires 2 yrs. ago.

Only thing that needs addressed is one of the left rear air bags has a slow leak. Not sure if i can get the odometer fixed or not.

We do like to travel and had plans to do so with the coach. Now that we have retired we are mulling over just selling it and moving on, or keeping it and traveling. Its a great coach and runs good. That being said it is now 23 yrs. old but has been maintained well. Would anyone have a problem keeping the coach knowing the age factor ?

One of our concerns is, if we keep it will the economy get so bad next year that if we then decided to sell it, we will have missed our opportunity to sell it this year ? The coach is paid for. We are thinking this era of coaches still has a high demand for people ? We are thinking the rv resorts this year will be in high demand. Will diesel go up so high it will be a deterrent for people to not travel or want a diesel pusher ?

I am not looking for you all to make up our minds ! Just some helpful thoughts and choices.

Thanks so much for listening !!!

Chuck and Robbin
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, that's what they say, crap happens.

Tough call but it depends on you truly think you will actually use the coach or not, kind of like a reality check. If the answer is yes I'd keep it. If in doubt I'd sell it. Right now older top end coaches are bringing good money. If the economy tanks you won't be so lucky.

If you decide to sell you might consider selling it as is since in reality you probably won't recoup any money you put into it.

Good luck with your decision.

I am in the same boat. I retired ~7 years ago. We went on a couple trips the first couple years but have been building a house since late 2016. The house, garage, workshop are now done and I'm ready to travel but my wife isn't interested. So I'm getting the coach ready to go and will hit the road myself. You might say my one last hurrah.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Right now, it's still a buyers market. You'd probably get a good price for it. But then you'd miss out on using it travelling now that you're retired. You could give it a year, see if you really DO travel & use it. If you don't, then cut your losses & ditch it.

If you like to travel, don't put it off. Life changes on a dime & sometimes not for the better (I know). Do what you want to do now; don't wait.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #4

Hi Chuck & Robin; Kind of, been there done that! Dynasty's are nice coaches. Well built and if taken care of like yours, they are nice to have. Started in 04 with a 2000 32' non slide Windsor. Never seen one since we sold it in 2013. Went 1 year of staying in motels and eating all meal out. BARF! Got sick of that real quick. Took until 2015 to find a 2001 Monaco Windsor 34' PBS. Like having one there to use when we want to. Does it get used as much as we would like. NO! Will things go bad. YES! Will diesel go sky high and will I bitch about the cost. YES! Pigs will fly, so on and so forth! Your post was interesting as I am sure a lot of retired folks our age ask just the question you posted here. As those who have pointed out, now is a sellers market for good, well built coaches in good shape. So once you sell it I doubt you will run across another one that you will like. Right now I can probably sell my 01 Windsor for what I paid for it! That sure did not happen when I sold our 2000 in 2013. That was, take a bath time, for how much I was in the hole. Will not do that again! So the 2001 will be here until were done traveling that way or diesel is $8.00 a gallon.

Do like my wife and I do. Take a daily walk and talk about it and when you get home, forget about it! I am sure you will come up with some decision. Just wanted to throw my 2.5 cents in! Have a great week!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 AM   #5

If you will not use it in the next 6 months like the last 6 years, sell it as there’s something else going on here. How much difference in $$$ is there selling in good times and not so good on a $20K rig... $4,000 maybe. If using it isn’t worth $4K, sell it.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yup, that's what they say, crap happens.

Tough call but it depends on you truly think you will actually use the coach or not, kind of like a reality check. If the answer is yes I'd keep it. If in doubt I'd sell it. Right now older top end coaches are bringing good money. If the economy tanks you won't be so lucky.

If you decide to sell you might consider selling it as is since in reality you probably won't recoup any money you put into it.

Good luck with your decision.

I am in the same boat. I retired ~7 years ago. We went on a couple trips the first couple years but have been building a house since late 2016. The house, garage, workshop are now done and I'm ready to travel but my wife isn't interested. So I'm getting the coach ready to go and will hit the road myself. You might say my one last hurrah.
Thanks Jim !

There is a rv resale person we know in Maryville. We live up in the mountains so not ideal for us to show it at our place. Would you know of other places in the Knoxville area we might contact ?

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Right now, it's still a buyers market. You'd probably get a good price for it. But then you'd miss out on using it travelling now that you're retired. You could give it a year, see if you really DO travel & use it. If you don't, then cut your losses & ditch it.

If you like to travel, don't put it off. Life changes on a dime & sometimes not for the better (I know). Do what you want to do now; don't wait.
Thanks !

Yes, life gets in the way sometimes and you end up going on a different railroad track !

Chuck
Old 05-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Chuck & Robin; Kind of, been there done that! Dynasty's are nice coaches. Well built and if taken care of like yours, they are nice to have. Started in 04 with a 2000 32' non slide Windsor. Never seen one since we sold it in 2013. Went 1 year of staying in motels and eating all meal out. BARF! Got sick of that real quick. Took until 2015 to find a 2001 Monaco Windsor 34' PBS. Like having one there to use when we want to. Does it get used as much as we would like. NO! Will things go bad. YES! Will diesel go sky high and will I bitch about the cost. YES! Pigs will fly, so on and so forth! Your post was interesting as I am sure a lot of retired folks our age ask just the question you posted here. As those who have pointed out, now is a sellers market for good, well built coaches in good shape. So once you sell it I doubt you will run across another one that you will like. Right now I can probably sell my 01 Windsor for what I paid for it! That sure did not happen when I sold our 2000 in 2013. That was, take a bath time, for how much I was in the hole. Will not do that again! So the 2001 will be here until were done traveling that way or diesel is $8.00 a gallon.

Do like my wife and I do. Take a daily walk and talk about it and when you get home, forget about it! I am sure you will come up with some decision. Just wanted to throw my 2.5 cents in! Have a great week!
Thanks Oilburner !

It was our first rv ever. Jumped right in the fire, but it was a good deal when we bought it. Its paid for and will make money on it when we sell it !

Chuck
Old 05-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy12 View Post
If you will not use it in the next 6 months like the last 6 years, sell it as thereís something else going on here. How much difference in $$$ is there selling in good times and not so good on a $20K rig... $4,000 maybe. If using it isnít worth $4K, sell it.
Thanks Sandy !

Its paid for and will make a profit when we sell it. I like to buy low and sell high, which will be the case for this year, not so sure about next year though !!

Chuck
Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach has no slides it will be hard to sell. check NADA for prices If you like the coach and it is big enough for your needs then my thinking is to keep it.
Just my thoughts as had a 97 40' Executive with a 450 Cummins and had a hard time getting 20K out of it.. as it had no slides. and people want slides . we now have a 45' with four slides.. As we are snow birds.
Mike Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Philo View Post
If the coach has no slides it will be hard to sell. check NADA for prices If you like the coach and it is big enough for your needs then my thinking is to keep it.
Just my thoughts as had a 97 40' Executive with a 450 Cummins and had a hard time getting 20K out of it.. as it had no slides. and people want slides . we now have a 45' with four slides.. As we are snow birds.
Did you sell it yourself or through a 3rd party ? I did get a appraisal from National Vehicle and they offered me $25,000. I have until the end of the month to decide. Seems you should have gotten more than what you did. How long ago did you sell it ?

Tags
sell