Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I found a two burner induction cooktop that is small enough to go into the opening -- it's made by True Induction and is called a Mini Duo. It requires an opening 13 3/4' x 20'' and the well where the Atwood is installed is 22.5 wide and 18" deep. This one looks good because it uses some sort of power sharing technology so both burners can run off of one outlet. Some other's I've seen require you to plug one burner in to one circuit and the other burner into a separate circuit.

"The maximum power of an individual burner level is at setting 10. But, when operating both burners their combined total is level 10, meaning that when operating the two burners at the same time they'll self adjust levels accordingly:

 When you increase the power of one side, the power output of the other side will reduce automatically (i.e., one side is at 6, the other burner automatically reduces power to level 4 creating a total of max 10 setting).

 If one side of the double burner is using the HEAT function and the other side uses the TEMP settings, the maximum HEAT setting is "5."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used wire nuts and terminated the wires from the fuse box for the 12V and ground and labeled the wires for a future owner. Then I replaced the melted 120V receptacle box with one from wire mold which is meant to be wall mounted. The new stove top is supposed to be here today. I hope it goes in easily.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I went over to the local counter top place and to my surprise they had the exact same pattern as in my coach. I was able to by an off cut cheap. The color is slightly off because the old is 18 years old. Its a closer match than it looks like in the picture.

I made a pattern out of 1/4" plywood.

We can still use the covers that came with the coach.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I went over to the local counter top place and to my surprise they had the exact same pattern as in my coach. I was able to by an off cut cheap. The color is slightly off because the old is 18 years old. Its a closer match than it looks like in the picture.

I made a pattern out of 1/4" plywood.

We can still use the covers that came with the coach.

Very nice!! Can you please give some more details on how you cut, installed, etc. Any others photos would be appreciated.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I didn't take any more pictures, but there was not a whole lot to the process.

There is about a 1 1/2" lip all the way around this opening, that is what the off-cut I purchased is sitting on. Monaco glued a 2X2 to the bottom of that lip and used screws to secure the propane stove top. I'm thinking of adding 3/4" plywood under the new insert to raise the stove top a little as the handle of our frying pan barely clears the counter top.

I'm not sure what brand this counter top is and I didn't think to ask when I found the off-cut, but it works just like engineered wood like particle board or MDF. It doesn't chip out when drilling or cutting.

I had to enlarge the width of the existing hole in the counter top by about 1/8" on each side to take the stove top. I used a Bosch trim router and a 1/4" straight bit. The base plate on the router and the diameter of the bit lined up to take just enough off of each side without having to use any guide except the flat wall of the opening. I just butted the plate up against the side of the opening. You can use a different size bit to take off more or less material.

I drilled a 1/2" hole in each corner of the hole marked out on the off-cut, then used a jig saw to cut out the hole. A sharp blade makes quick work of the job. This stuff is a dream to machine, cuts fast and doesn't splinter or chip.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I went out and took a few pics while measuring for the 3/4" ply.

This is what the original opening looked like for the 3 burner propane stove. The opening was not square because when I enlarged the sides, I took more off the front than the rear and I was using the side as a guide.

This is how much I had to take off the side to get the new stove top in.

This is the new piece with the smaller opening.

There isn't a whole lot of lip so the hole has to be cut pretty precisely. The installation directions say to use butyl tape to hold the top in place if installing in an RV. I'm going to wrap the edge of the counter top in aluminum tape like the original stove top.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the info
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell