Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know which route

I everyone, we are just wondering what the best route would be to go from Ventura, CA to Seattle, WA? We are thinking 101 but would like some input please.

We drove down and shaky I 5 which was so bad that it shook our screen door loose. So any help would be great.

Thanks so much!
Colleen
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

101 in Oregon is a secondary highway. It will take MUUUUCH longer to get to Seattle - if you care.
Have you considered traveling up the East side of Cali? It would put you on Hwy 97 thru Oregon which is a main North South route. I consider it a secondary route too. However, there are fewer towns, fewer low speed zones and because of the straighter roadway and the open country, I think it is a much more relaxing drive.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
East side route is really nice as suggested---395 up to Oregon and then beyond to 97 is a very pretty drive wide two lane and smooth highway for the most part. 8500 ft pass so watch the weather---my avatar picture was taken on this road. Nevada highways are super very wide two lane and smooth---pick a route. Check it out it may not add as many mile as you might think and these drives are spectacular--by comparison.

Some nice Rv stops Boulder Creek and in sparks Sparks Marina RV and a very unlikely place in Likely California---off the road operated by a rancher---no frills but level and quiet--and a good place to go just to say you did, for one night.

101 from Ventura will have some rough spots until just North of Santa Barbara---then again around the San Francisco area. Otherwise it is a nice highway. I have found going through SF freeways really rough (I haven't been above SF in a long time).
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohapi View Post
We drove down and shaky I 5 which was so bad that it shook our screen door loose. So any help would be great.

Thanks so much!
Colleen
Unfortunately, there isn't any route in California that is any better than another. That state has been robbing the road tax fund to pay for all of the other overspent projects including politicians "fluff" versus putting it into the road infrastructure for many years. Their road conditions prove it.

When driving in CA, I change lanes often depending on what route I happen to be on to get the best ride providing that I am not breaking the law as I tow a long trailer behind my coach. If the people behind me don't like it they can go around or wait. It seems that everyone in CA is ALWAYS in a hurry to get someplace. That's why you will see many multiple car rear end collisions as they all drive with their front bumper almost touching the rear bumper of the vehicle in front.

I try to avoid CA as much as possible.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are making the trip in winter the 101 is the route with the least chance of snow. Going to Seattle via 101 is not quick but the sights and places to visit are great. I have taken 101 all the way from Ventura to Port Townsend Washington and then the ferry back to the mainland. From Ventura to Ukiah it is four lane with some two lane stretches from Ukiah north it is manly two lane. There are a few hill climbs one near San Luis Obispo and another going through Redwood National Forest. You can go through S.F and across the Golden Gate Bridge but you will be on some wide City streets and you should know what lanes to be in so you don't miss a split in the roads. Also I think there is a lane restriction getting on to the bridge. Along the N. Calif and S. Oregon coast the road is a little narrow and right on the cliffs, but there are great views. Once you get to Reedsport Oregon you can cut back over to I-5 via hwy 38. If you continue north there are other places to go back to I-5 some better than others. When you get in S. Washington you will need to take SR 107 rather than the Pacific Coast Byway. A combination of SR 107, SR 12 and SR 8 takes out to 101 near Olympia WA. At that point you can rejoin I-5 or you can continue all the way to Port Townsend and take a ferry to Whidbey Island and then drive to I-5 in Everett WA. If you go the 101 route all the way to Washington plan on a least a week so you can enjoy the sights. When we did this the drive took almost a month, too may place to stop and enjoy the sights. Have fun.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for all the advice! This is our first trip and so we are still learning that's for sure. Lots of great options.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just an update on our trip. We had a wonderful trip and our GPS took us around San Fransisco I think via 880 which just skirted the area close enough that we saw the Golden Gate Bridge but didn't cross it. So it was beautiful with out the hills or traffic!

We stayed at Bodega Bay one night only as we had discovered a major DC problem that we think was cause at the place we stayed at in Castiac, CA. What a bummer!

But it is on its way to being fixed now!

We stayed another night in OR and then headed back home on the night of day three. The views were amazing and I have picked out places to go back too once we have the RV back up and running right again!

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sohapi....We live a few miles from Ventura. Are you looking to sightsee on the way to Washington or get back fast.

If you take the 101 north from Ventura, you're going to be routed back through the San Francisco area.

An alternative for a fast return is to go south on the 101 about 25-30 miles to the 405 frwy and take it north to I-5. I know you said you didn't like I-5, but there is a work around through part of California. Take the I-5 north and after you descend out of the Grapevine into Bakersfield, the I-5 splits. You can take I-5 or Hwy 99. Hwy 99 is a nicer'smoother drive since most of it has been repaved in the past few years. It joins back up with the I-5 in the Sacramento area. Stay on I-5 all the way to Seattle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don and Mary

Thanks for the question. We have already made the trip but will do so again before too long. We stayed in Castiac but plan to stay in Ventura in the furture. We stayed in Castiac for 8 weeks do to my husbands work. I loved the beaches in Ventura - we went there a few times:-)

Thanks for the help!
Colleen