Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Last weekend I decided to roll the Dynasty out for a sip of diesel. Since the prices were going up 10-cents a gallon every few days, I filled her to the brim. Made sure to tighten the caps well and added some algae medication as a preventative measure. Couple of days later I smelled a peculiar noise as I walked by the coach. Walked around to the starboard side and I see a puddle of diesel about 6' in diameter! Awwww man, that's gotta be at least a gallon ($409.9)on the concrete. In a frenzy, I grabbed an Arkansas credit card and a 5-gal bucket and commenced to drain some out of the tank. Of course, I managed to let the 5-gal container take on a bit over 5 gal and had another spot to clean up!

The dadgummed rubber gasket that is "permanently" affixed in the brass screw-on cap was missing! I guess I knocked it loose when I filled the tank and expansion of the fuel pumped out my puddle. I hate it when that happens!
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Last weekend I decided to roll the Dynasty out for a sip of diesel. Since the prices were going up 10-cents a gallon every few days, I filled her to the brim. Made sure to tighten the caps well and added some algae medication as a preventative measure. Couple of days later I smelled a peculiar noise as I walked by the coach. Walked around to the starboard side and I see a puddle of diesel about 6' in diameter! Awwww man, that's gotta be at least a gallon ($409.9)on the concrete. In a frenzy, I grabbed an Arkansas credit card and a 5-gal bucket and commenced to drain some out of the tank. Of course, I managed to let the 5-gal container take on a bit over 5 gal and had another spot to clean up!

The dadgummed rubber gasket that is "permanently" affixed in the brass screw-on cap was missing! I guess I knocked it loose when I filled the tank and expansion of the fuel pumped out my puddle. I hate it when that happens!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
JDT

Okay, now that you've opened the subject, I guess I can tell on myself. Filled up after our Branson trip 2 weeks ago at $4.05 per. Parked it under its cover in the back of our lot and did not venture that direction until Sunday. I saw a drip coming from under the filler cap on the driver's side and when I looked under the coach there was standing diesel fuel and it had spread about halfway under the coach. Took two 20 pounds bag of cat litter to soak it up. I may have lost 4 or 5 gallons.

Just my luck that the coach tilts a little to that side because of the slope of the concrete. The cause: I did not tighten the cap after I filled it from that side. Sometimes I just do stupid things.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ouch people that hurts. Dang almost as bad as spilling a good mixed drink.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
No where close to being as bad as spilling a drink -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Dont ever spill wine on your laptop "puter" I learned the hard way and I'm now the proud owner of a new laptop....fried my old one Grrrrrrrr. If you do spill anything on it turn it off immediately and remove the battery then make sure you dry it out completely. I was really enjoying that glass of $700 wine.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nutensteve... I did the same thing with a full glass of water in my "old" laptop... but honestly, the funniest/most horrible thing for us was our first trip out in this coach, and we stopped at Flying J for everything, dump, fuel, add water. Well, the water fills verrrrrrrry slowly on this coach (we've had it checked, and that's just the way it is)... so it fills at about 2 gallons per minute and we have a 100 gallon tank. We needed about 80 gallons of water to fill it as we were dry camping, (you do the math)... as people are scowling at us and flipping us off because we're taking so long (so sorry if any of you were behind us), we decided that 65 gallons was enough. Tony turned off the water fill and disconnected, while inside I watched the screen showing the amount of water start to drop dramatically and very quickly (65, 60, 55, 50...) I ran out the door and into a LAKE under our coach, back around the side where he was and of course I said, 'speaking animatedly', "What is happening???? All the water is running out that we just put onboard!!!" Looking under the coach we discovered that the fresh water tank was draining, wrong button pushed! Frantic pushing of buttons later, we got the purging of fresh water to stop. Needless to say, we didn't add more. (Afraid of getting shot, LOL!) This same pit stop and trip included several other mishaps (we'll call them "learning curves on the new coach")... Tony tells it better! See the article "The Ultimate Transporter" in Tony's blog (link in our signature) click "archives" then click "January" to find the article.

p.s. As I just pointed out to DH, we tell the story a teeny bit differently about who ran where when the fresh water was purging... we all know the wifey always tells the real story!

Brenda, of...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Brenda, I just entered Tony's blog and read his impressions of Quartzite. At last someone has explained this thing to me in terms I understand.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mornin' Bama,
I usually don't read blogs, but since you and I have the same name and like the same tools, I thought I'd follow suit and read Tonys write-up on Quartzite.
I, like you, have never understood the fascination with a giant junk market in the desert.
After seeing Tonys pics of searching for "just the right gift", my impressions are that I was correct in my previous feelings about that place.
At least the "Jamboree" we are headed to, see this thread, has entertainment!!!
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I sure am envious of you lucky people who get away with $4.05 diesel. On my last outing the cheapest I found was $4.11, on the way back from Waukarusa I paid $4.48, ouch!!!

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Uhmmmmm, "Beer Garden".

Heck that'd make the $4-plus a gallon diesel worth it.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
Retired Senior Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Uhmmmmm, "Beer Garden". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, you caught that eh.. There are also some microbreweries in the area for free tasting!!!
And now that MM knows how to drive, I no longer have to be the Designated driver!!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought the "DD" was the "Designated Drunk".
Disclaimer:
All things in moderation, I do not imply that I condone, support, oppose or otherwise tolerate or participate in the consumption of alcoholic beverages for the purpose or intent of getting fallin'-down drunk as either a stress relief tool or just plain entertainment.....or something like that.....buuurrrppp.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #13

Hi, Our first fill up just happened to be at a gas station that was on a hill. I walked around the mhome just as my husband pulled the hose out of the tank. Gas gushed out of the filler tank and filled his shoes with diesel pluss ran down a bunch of the parking lot!!! We were surprised!! Have never had a car do that!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey AKmonaco...just how much did you pay per gallon when you filled up ...and did they charge you for the spilled diesel!?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote