Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 09:55 AM   #1

Dometic A/C Replacement in Central Florida

One of my 2006 Signature Dometic Roof A/C 630516-331 finally died, had been popping the breaker on restart for awhile. Need a recommendation for good knowledgeable shop in Central Florida to replace the unit. Might replace the other 2 and change the thermostats to the 10
button from the 5 button. Need a shop that will do it right and nice the first time. Thanks in advance for recommendations
Bskyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 08:50 PM   #2

Unless you just money burning a hole in your pocket - from your description I would think the problem with your AC unit would provide for a simple inexpensive fix - and something very common to MoHo rooftop unit’s whether built today, 2006, or 1990.

And it’s wiring connections, followed by wire connections, followed by possibly a failed PTC and/or failing compressor run capacitor.
Not to forget a dirty condenser, fan motor lubrication, and lastly - low voltage to the unit due to (again) wiring connections in the breaker panel of the coach, the shore power tether, or due to an again electrical system where you are getting your power from.

Just some food for thought. If low voltage is your issue, a new unit or units will probably limit your satisfaction of the hard earned money you spent.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #3

A loose wire on the breaker will definitely cause said breaker to trip.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #4

Chris Throgmartin at Talin RV in Brooksville, Florida: 352-942-2653.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think you'll find the problem is locating a new replacement A/C unit. Most are on backorder. If you can't locate a unit locally, PPL Motor Home parts will drop ship one to you. Your 2006 Signature uses a Dometic Penguin II low profile A/C. I'd recommend you use the 15,000 BTU version.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ir-conditioner

It sounds like you already know you cannot mix new A/C units with the older 5 button thermostat unless you install a retrofit control board or change the thermostat.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I think you'll find the problem is locating a new replacement A/C unit. Most are on backorder. If you can't locate a unit locally, PPL Motor Home parts will drop ship one to you. Your 2006 Signature uses a Dometic Penguin II low profile A/C. I'd recommend you use the 15,000 BTU version.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ir-conditioner

It sounds like you already know you cannot mix new A/C units with the older 5 button thermostat unless you install a retrofit control board or change the thermostat.
Hi Vito, you have given me great advice in the past. I have a 2003 Sig with aquahot. My front penguin (of 3) is13.5 single zone, 5 button stat. I am having a 15 Penguin 2 installed. The mobile tech, supposedly a Dometic service center, seems to have no idea about control board and T stat. I said I wanted a new style stat and thought that would be easy. Apparently not. He said he HOPES it will work. Um, hopes?? Any idea what I actually need him to put in, as far as boards, Tstats and aquahot heat? Right now I have a new AC sitting in my coach living room in a box. Can you help?
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
YC1

Onrecess:

The new AC units are not simple plug and play. To make them backwards compatible with your exising units the control board must be changed. Leaving you with a brand new control board that has some resale value for sure.

Finding the retrofit control board on one thread leads me to believe they are now hard to find.

Just finding an AC unit for mine last years was a challenge and getting one that was not damaged in shipment was nearly impossible. I suggest you open yours up and inspect it closely for any physical damage. The box may not show any. One I received looked like it had been in a front end collision. One had at least 5 wiring defects. Wire floating around waiting to be shorted, run poorly, not connected etc. Inspect now in case you need to return it.

My two AC units were about 12 years old and we full time so they work incredibly hard here in Central Florida in the Summer. I had to settle for a 13.5 but it works better than the old 15 unit did. There have been some real improvements in design so am happy with the new unit. The 13.5 unit is in our living area. When another 13.5 came available I replaced the bedroom as well. I would like to have used 15 units but they just were not available.

If you have the notion to replace all of your old ac units, you can easily sell them and at least get some dough back. Changing all of them will then give you some options on thermostat use. At that point I would opt for the Wi Fi thermostat.

I hope this helps a bit.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Onrecess, your front A/C should be the only A/C connected to your front thermostat.
If you replace it with a new A/C, I would also replace the old 5 button Comfort Control thermostat with the new Comfort Control II thermostat (CCC II).
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ck_3314082.000
It's available in either white or black. With a new A/C and a new thermostat you will not need the backordered retrofit control board.

It's very important the tech removes the new A/C plastic shroud/cover, then the control board cover and properly sets the dip switches.
Then when everything is connected the new thermostat must be programmed for the new setup.

Your two rear A/C units are on the same thermostat so if you replace only one unit you would need the retrofit control board. Or, replace both A/C units and the thermostat all at once.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you! So, if I get the new tstat is it plug and play (with dip switches set? How about the aquahot, will that work ? Oh, and where do I get the dip switch settings?
Old 07-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the new CCC2 is plug and play with a new generation Dometic A/C or heat pump.
You can copy the dip switch settings from the old A/C unit. This requires removing the plastic shroud and the control board cover on the old unit to access.

Perform a Google search for: Dometic AC dip switch settings
There are several great diagrams and pictures.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I cannot thank you enough! The mobile tech doesn't seem to know and dometic told him I need to ask Monaco about the aquahot! Now I know just what needs to be done so I can watch it done (or do the dip switches myself.) What a relief!
Old 07-11-2022, 10:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced my rear A/C with a brand new 15k unit that I got off ebay. I removed the old wiring, control board, and telephone cables and put them on the new unit.

It wasn't that difficult once I realized there was just five or six wires that had to be cut and spliced. Had to mount the control board since the unit I bought didn't have one, but two bolts is all it took.

Works great, and the thermostat doesn't know a new unit is there.

As a side note, I bought a scratched and dented brand new one for around $600. The cover was damaged, but the unit was fine. Since nobody can see the cover, I just fixed it.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #13

10 button Thermostats

So while awaiting my appointment to get both rear units replaced and the new 10 button thermostat, I am told that the 10 button thermostat will only turn the aqua hot on below 40 degrees as the Heat pumps in the AC units will override the Aqua hot until 40 degrees. This makes no sense to me. Anyone else know anything about this
Bskyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
What was the source of that information?
I don't think it's correct.

Tags
ace, florida, replace, replacement, dometic