RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Somewhere around TX, heading to NM and CO in the spring.
Dometic 1402 icemaker issue

My '09 Camelot came with a Dometic 1402 side by side fridge/freezer. Everything worked fine for about 3 years, then the ice maker quit. I tracjed everything down and noted that there was power at the solenoids and at the ice maker itself, so I figured the ice maker went bad. Ordered a new one from Dometic ($200), installed it, and the ice maker worked. For 3 months.

I called Dometic and found that the warranty was useless. But I also found that the ice maker is a generic Chinese one, used by most fridge manufacturers. I bought a replacement kit from Lowe's ($40), exactly the same ice maker and installed it. Ice maker worked... for 2 months.

If I manually turn the ice maker motor, it goes through the cycle correctly (fill, freeze, and dump). But the motor will not run, even though I verified that there is voltage at the terminals.

I'm stumped... mechanically and electrically it seems to check out, but I must be missing something. Any suggestion would be appreciated. And if you make it work, I'll make you a Margarita next time we meet!

My guess? something in the fridge circuit is overloading the ice maker motor, causing it to burn out. But what? Its a 110V motor, and I verify 110V at the terminals.....

Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #2

I have the same refrigerator. I had the same type of problem, but my motor didn't burn out. I believe the problem is if the ice maker cycles while traveling the water will spill out do to coach movement and not allow the motor to turn on the dump cycle because the water will freeze up in the wrong places. Yours burned up, I got lucky and it didn't. I thawed it out with a hair dryer and cycled it manually to get it back working. It took me a while to figure this out. Raise arm on ice maker the night before you drive to insure no water unfrozen in ice maker while traveling. This might or might not be your problem, but I hope it helps.

Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

i/m

i agree with chuck48 the i/m motors are somewhat low tork and will stall.the way they normaly work thay depend on the mold heator to thaw the cubes so thay can be removed from the mold with little force if water splashes and the freezes where the mold heator wont thaw it the i/m stops.
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, that gives me something to look at. Although the last ice maker went while we were stationary, so splashing is not an issue. But perhaps stalling is.

== John
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Aha, thanks to your replies I believe I have a solution.

When I took the old (first) unit out, I notices a lot of plumbers putty between the aluminum freezing tray and the aluminum mounting plate. I thought this was for vibration control, and removed a lot of it. Thinking about it now, it probably was there to insulate the ice maker tray from the mounting plate. By removing the putty, the heating element can no longer provide enough heat and the system freezes and stalls.

I will add insulation back between the two parts and see if that solves the problem.

John
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

John,

You might be onto something. That makes sense. Also check to make sure water tube leading into ice maker is in line and not spilling water into unwanted areas when filling. I had a home ice maker do that. This might have been what happened when you weren't moving. Good luck!
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post
Aha, thanks to your replies I believe I have a solution.

When I took the old (first) unit out, I notices a lot of plumbers putty between the aluminum freezing tray and the aluminum mounting plate. I thought this was for vibration control, and removed a lot of it. Thinking about it now, it probably was there to insulate the ice maker tray from the mounting plate. By removing the putty, the heating element can no longer provide enough heat and the system freezes and stalls.

I will add insulation back between the two parts and see if that solves the problem.

John
That is not plumbers putty - It`s Thermal Mastic, & has to be there to help transfer cold to the ice maker -- I don`t know where you can get a tube -- It comes in a tube like caulking -- I have one, & will never use it since I got rid of our 1402 a couple of years ago -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Have the same problem as Chuck48 - water pooling in bottom and freezing. Works fine while stationary (in CG). I'll try Chuck48's solution of raising the bar when traveling.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Took the ice maker back out, added a layer of plumbers putty (I don't have Thermal Transfer stuff) and put it back together. Plugged everything back in, and the ice maker now works.

So I'll keep an eye on it and adjust as necessary. Main thing for me, it isn't a mechanical or electrical defect so at least I have a direction to go.

Tags
dometic