Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dometic A/C fan quit

2008 Camelot (15K ducted heat-pumps, both original as far as I know).

The fan in the rear unit (630516.331) quit when the compressor cycled on - the fan was running normally then dropped offline when the compressor kicked in. I can still get the compressor to run/hum after its 2 minute timeout, but no fan at all now in either HI, LOW or FAN-only modes.

I replaced the existing board (3109229.009) with an identical one (spare, just for this occasion) but no difference. Also did the 2-finger FF reset, again no change.

It did this same thing twice earlier last year, but when I tried to troubleshoot the problem back then, it wouldn't duplicate it.

Down to the wire: Capacitor or fan motor?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is the fan totally silent? When my capacitor failed the motor would hum but the fan wouldn't start.
Take the cover off, turn unit on Fan setting and see if the motor hums? Swap capacitor with another unit?
Here's a video on testing capacitors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	327899
Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours did that. I took the cover off and gave the Gan a spin by hand when my wife turned the Thermostat on. The Gan works...the start capacitor had failed. Swapped it out...and good to go. Some multi-meters can test capacitors. My dual start capacitor was a 15/55mfd... The value should be printed on the label.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #4

I can remove the filter and reach up to the squirrel cage wheel. If you can
do that you can see if it turns freely or is stuck.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #5

To add to above owners have found mud daubers nest jammed fan up. Others fan had rubbers under feet collapsed & jammed. My fan the metal kind of just bent downward, like sheet metal can do. I made a green treated block slid under fan base ,but I have FG roof. The last two you usually hear fan buzz against housing first.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #6

Ours would run on low or high but would not work on auto. The back of the thermostat on our unit had what looks like a phone plug that runs to the front air conditioner and has a similar plug that runs from the front air conditioner to the rear unit. I sprayed all 4 plug ends, the two capacitor connectors and each electrical connector with electrical contact cleaner. Both of our units starting working as intended.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #7

To add to above owners have found mud daubers nest jammed fan up. Others fan had rubbers under feet collapsed & jammed. My fan the metal kind of just bent downward, like sheet metal can do. I made a green treated block slid under fan base ,but I have FG roof. The last two you usually hear fan buzz against housing first.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After following the tips, no joy.

Fan spins freely, no hum or anything, and won't keep running if I give it a help. No mud daubers, etc.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Is the circuit board sending power to the fan motor, can you test with a multimeter.

My front AC was starting to act up and I did find that it was almost frozen up, could barely move by hand so I replaced the motor for ~$125 about 6 years ago. Took a little work to change it out but a lot cheaper then a new AC unit. Just depends what you want to do.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
No rain for weeks, and guess what's happening today?
Soon as it stops long enough, I'll go up and dig deeper into things. I found a Dometic troubleshooting 'bulletin' with values, so that should help narrow it down.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a site to find parts
https://www.edometic.com/allusr/sp.nsf/spcac?ReadForm
Type in your model number and you can get schematics with part numbers. From there do a general search for price and availability.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your backup ckt board may not work either.

Check the voltage on T1, or T2 with the fan in the low or high fan mode only. You should see voltage on whichever one is being asked to run the fan. Different windings on the fan so there are two wires. The yellow wire from the motor in the schematic is not used most likely.

You actually need to do this with a test light bulb to be very confident but a voltmeter will do for now.

I just went through this exercise last week on my 15K unit. I had a spare capacitor with the PTCR device and thought this is what was wrong last time (the motor hummed but would not move). So I just tossed parts at it which I always recommend NOT doing.

Having replaced one of the AC's a few months ago I salvaged the old board. It fired right up with that change.

New boards are available on Amazon if needed. When I changed the other AC unit out I had to buy a "compatible" control board to be backwards compatible. So I have a brand new ckt board for a brand new AC but it will never be needed on mine.

Of course I didn't save that darn Amazon page but someone here will pop it up for sure.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xj2-4...51jxf?e=Ea60WQ

Download these and open the pdf's. Once open there should be post it notes on them to help.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tips, guys. And I knew you'd be along eventually, Myron. Thanks for the files and info.

Sun finally peeked out and I got to work. I ohmed the windings on the motor and they showed good, as did the voltages from the board. Also checked the 15uf cap and it showed good too. Fan spun freely, so I turned on the AC unit and tried spinning the fan by hand, but no luck there.

Frustratedly, I kept looking at the other AC unit to be a guinea pig, but I never 'easter-egg' and just swap good-for-bad, and then maybe end up creating 2 failed AC units.

What I did do though was drag an extension cord up top and ran power to the fan wires directly (with the capacitor in-circuit). No fan motion. Confused as to why it didn't work but ohmed out good, I tried the good AC unit, and that fan did run.

Eureka! It's either the fan or the cap, but being that the cap is quite rusty (but not bulged), both are now on order.

Why, but why, does Dometic keep changing part numbers? It took forever to chase down these new numbers, and was confusing as all get-out. Several years ago, I installed a 3rd unit on my old Endeavor and had contacted Dometic directly to be sure I'd get exactly what I needed. Even they got it wrong when I went to order the parts.

As an aside, I noted that the yellow wire is for medium speed on the fan. We've often wished for a bit more air-motion with the fan on LOW or maybe a bit less noise with it on HIGH, so while waiting for the parts I'm building a circuit so we can have 3 speeds.

Tags
dometic, fan