RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Dometic duo therm comfort control thermostat not cycling

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature Series with a Dometic Duo Therm 2 zone thermostat. The rear ac unit works fine and cycles with the set temperature. The front ac does not cycle. It will come on drop the temp inside the coach to the set temp and then will not come on again until I manually drop the set temp. Is the thermostat screwed or am I missing something.

joe

joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

Joe do you have any fluorescent lights on when this occurs?
How about satellite tv?

I know there has been many posts of "rf" interference with your T stat....fluorescent lights make my AC go wacky and just turning them off solves the AC problem

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Joe do you have any fluorescent lights on when this occurs?
How about satellite tv?

I know there has been many posts of "rf" interference with your T stat....fluorescent lights make my AC go wacky and just turning them off solves the AC problem

I would think there has been lights on. AND Satellite TV for sure. But then again I have just ran the AC without any of these things on too,,,

I will take notice next time although as to whats on.

joe
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Strange problem. As you probably know the Rear A/C zone has its own remote thermistor (remote bulb) that senses rear temp., and is used to cycle the A/C on and off. You problably have seen it mounted in your rear bedroom somewhere. The front zone uses the built-in thermistor sensor on the bottom area of the Thermostat itself. It is odd that it is not cycling the front unit properly. The thermostat communicates with the front A/C unit thru a 4 wire phone line and the thermistor control is just one of several types of information exchanged between these 2 units. Do you have a front zone remote thermistor sensor on your MH? That would be possible I guess. If you take off the rear A/C inside filter cover and look up at the control box, there are up to 3 (2 wire) colored connectors that plug into the control box. One of these connectors (I can't recall which color) is the rear A/C remote thermistor sensor. On your front unit this color connector should be missing unless it uses a remote bulb also. There is an on-line manual for your model of A/C that will explain the purpose of each colored connector or it may be labelled on the control box or its removable cover somewhere. If you use the built-in sensor at the bottom of the thermostat, it sounds like it is bad or not communicating with the front A/C unit--probably have to replace the thermostat.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman View Post
Strange problem. As you probably know the Rear A/C zone has its own remote thermistor (remote bulb) that senses rear temp., and is used to cycle the A/C on and off. You problably have seen it mounted in your rear bedroom somewhere. The front zone uses the built-in thermistor sensor on the bottom area of the Thermostat itself. It is odd that it is not cycling the front unit properly. The thermostat communicates with the front A/C unit thru a 4 wire phone line and the thermistor control is just one of several types of information exchanged between these 2 units. Do you have a front zone remote thermistor sensor on your MH? That would be possible I guess. If you take off the rear A/C inside filter cover and look up at the control box, there are up to 3 (2 wire) colored connectors that plug into the control box. One of these connectors (I can't recall which color) is the rear A/C remote thermistor sensor. On your front unit this color connector should be missing unless it uses a remote bulb also. There is an on-line manual for your model of A/C that will explain the purpose of each colored connector or it may be labelled on the control box or its removable cover somewhere. If you use the built-in sensor at the bottom of the thermostat, it sounds like it is bad or not communicating with the front A/C unit--probably have to replace the thermostat.

If I replace the thermostat are the current stats compatible with this vintage unit?

joe
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
If you have the old 4 button type, you have to use that type. I believe it is still available thru some sources. The newer 5 button type (if you convert to it) requires new control boxes in each A/C also. There are some who have done the conversion and should be alot more info on other threads here if you do a search. Also more info on the old 4 button thermostat.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I believe there are a few places that repair your 4 button thermostat if that is what you have. An internet search should bring this up too.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
The color of the connector that plugs in to your control box for the remote thermistor sensor is WHITE. All this isfo is available at the "Appliance" section of this forum. It has a sticky that has the duo-therm installation and service manuals and thermostat manual. By the way, with an ohmmeter, you can check the remote thermistor to see if it is any good at all. Ohms vs. temp. Chart for it is in the Duo-therm Manual. To see how accurate it is, I just used the digital thermometer mode on my DMM with its remote sensor at same place as remote bulb to compare readings when A/C cycles on and off. My rear sensor is 4 degrees off, front one mounted in thermostat is dead on, so now that I know that, I can set temps. on thermostat accordingly. Now both A/Cs cycle correctly.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

Mine is doing similar. I tried reseting the thermo. On the 5 button thermo.
Move the switch to "off" hold the top and bottom buttons down (Zone and mode) as you move the switch to "on" you should see "FF" appear in the window.

I tried that with limited success. It worked for a bit then, same ole.

Next I removed the unit from its mount (small plastic tab) and pulled the wired connection (looks like a phone jack) and reinserted for what I called a "hard reboot".

Thats currently working but I fear my 11 year old thermo may be on its last leg.

Been looking at a replacement on EBay for about 70 bucks.
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #10

Help needed to figure out problem with 5 button Comfort Control thermostat in 2010 Newmar. When I turned on furnace, it displayed as normal and after a minute went blank. Furance did not come on. Repeated a couple times did same thing including in AC setting. Did reset with top and bottom button as mentioned above. Saw FF but also now stuck on EE. Coach has 3 AC units and 2 furnace zones. Oasis heat provides hot water so that is working. Sounds like a bad thermostat.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Help needed to figure out problem with 5 button Comfort Control thermostat in 2010 Newmar. When I turned on furnace, it displayed as normal and after a minute went blank. Furance did not come on. Repeated a couple times did same thing including in AC setting. Did reset with top and bottom button as mentioned above. Saw FF but also now stuck on EE. Coach has 3 AC units and 2 furnace zones. Oasis heat provides hot water so that is working. Sounds like a bad thermostat.

Could also be a bad ground or low 12vdc or bad communication with A/C. The source of ground and 12vdc is from (usually) unit #1 A/C via a "phone line". You can try replugging the "phone line" (requires removing the thermostat from wall) and replugging at A/C (accessible thru A/C filter area).
Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

Bruce, thanks. I have an appointment on Monday at the factory for some other service . I think I will let them figure it out for me.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Bruce, thanks. I have an appointment on Monday at the factory for some other service . I think I will let them figure it out for me.

Couldn't hurt !!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rich,
Good Luck at the Factory. I have a similar problem...I know you'll fill us in on what they found...just to let you know, in advance, that we're interested in the results and appreciate your up date!!

Paul
96 Windsor

Tags
dometic, duo therm, thermostat