RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Door Awning Ground Wire

Can any of you experts tell me where I can locate the ground wire for my door awning?? Some days it works and some days it won't. If I'm sitting for 2 or 3 weeks, I'll try it every day and it will work once in a while. I also suspect the relay, but I don't know where that is either. Thanks, Bruce....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bruce,
My 06 Endeavor had a Carefree over the door awing and I had the same problem it turned out to be a bad motor. Carefree admitted that there was a design flaw and replaced the motor under warranty. Not sure if you have the same make of awing or if you have the motor problem. It took until mid 07 to get the redesigned motor so you may have the old motor design. On my coach the relay is tucked behind the awing switched just inside the front door. I had to cut some tie wraps to to get to things. I may have the wiring diagram somewhere in my files I will look if you think you need it.

There is not really a ground for the awing. The switch feed a relay that reverses which wire is positive and negative going to the awing. So no true ground changing polarity causes the motor to change direction.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

Dave & Jeri:
We have an 2008 HR 38PDQ with the same awning issue. It happened just as we broke camp to leave Palm Springs last March. It stuck in the extended position and would not retract. A Marathon Coach tech helped me remove it and we could not detect the problem...except it was perhaps the Motor. We got it retracted, tie wrapped it and remounted it so as to drive...Monaco didnt paint behind it. So...is it the motor or the ground polarity that has been their problem and who to we contact at Sunsetter to get a new motor???
Thanks,
Dave & Ginger
775-783-4781
djyinc@charter.net
Cutloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dave & Ginger, I solved my problem, there must have been a screw or something shorting a wire somewhere. I traced the wires from the switch to where they passed down into the floor, there was still power at this point. Then I found where the wires came out of the ceiling (behind the panel in the cabinet above the entry door) there was no power there. So I cut the wires and hooked them up to my 18 volt battery pack from my drill and "bingo" the awning worked. I ran new wires from the switch to the awning and now life is good again. I hope this helps....Bruce