RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
"Whoosh" is always cool :-)
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I saw the door I want on the way home, at the lewis and clark welcome center on the corner of I90 and the missouri river...

It was a tour bus of some sort. The door was mounted on a bunch of linky things. I think air cylinders were involved. It made a "whoosh", popped straight out, and moved straight back along the side of the coach.

It was way cool.
The door you described is on many Prevosts and Newells. A few megabucks should solve all our problems!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
....''''I'm envisioning something like an old-fashioned screen-door piston and spring, but mounted outside of the door (since we don't have that much room between doors on ours). Obviously more elegant than that, but you get the idea.

??
RustyTools,

Just keep in mind that if you mount something like a piston on the outside of the door it may create a lot of wind noise. Your door may work super but they may have to put you in a straight jacket after 8 hours of driving. By the way, please oil your tools, I hate rusty tools.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Heh heh heh, thanks Bob. I'm one of those people that can't stand wind-noise or a rattle when driving. Last year, we were crossing W Texas on one of those chalk-string-straight roads and the wind plus coach-wind was just right such that the burble across the door-hinges was actually whistling. I ended up with duct-tape along the entire leading edge to get it to stop (remnants of tape still exist there too).
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
A bungee cord works just fine for a friend.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #48

Another bad design issue is that the arm destroys the door gasket! Any fixes with that?
RickGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
My Dynasty had the same problem, the rivet actually fell out on mine in a grass lot and I lost it. I repaired it by getting a 5/16 "socket flat head" fastener from fastenal which has the same bevel as the rivet, then cut the fastener so it was flat with the base, clamped it and TIG welded it in with 304 stainless rod. Then ground the head flush with the hinge. I had done the smash trick before as well, but as a previous poster stated the edges of the rivet started cracking which eventually broke the top off the rivet in a big wind gust. The stainless stuff is harder than Chinese arithmatic and there is zero flexion at the rivet point now, it will stay open in a pretty nasty wind, in fact it doesn't even budge in a 30 mph wind. I realize not everyone has a TIG welder, but if could be done with an iron oxide fastener as well with a MIG welder. Nice thing about TIG stainless is the fix doesn't rust and the weld is flat. Pretty poor engineering, but I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. If anyone wants the particulars of how to do it, let me know.
Brent
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Why not something as simple as this ?

Cool Tech LLC. JK Tailgate Gas Strut Kit
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGyver View Post
Another bad design issue is that the arm destroys the door gasket! Any fixes with that?
can you bend it down a bit so it doesn't drag on the gasket?