Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Door latch broken again!

We have a 07 Imperial that has a verticle opening bin door at the utility bay. The chrome plated latch handle has broken twice because it is made of pot metal and must lift the doors weight. Has anyone else had this problem ? If so how did you fix it? Thanks
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced two...stressed before I got it. Two hands to open, do not lift weight with the handle. AND...I do not let anyone else open the doors. Love the bus type doors, but the handles are absolute junk!! Look on Ebay, I found them for about $50. Monaco wanted almost $200!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #3

When I open the utility bay door I open the latch ans when it is open enough I put 2 hands on the bottom of the door and lift. When closing I do not slam the door but rather I hold the latch open and then close. Terrible to have to treat a door lock like it is made of crystal!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies,but when this happened the first time the dealer fixed it. I need to get the door open. How did you get your door open? I can unlatch the door with a open end wrench,but I can not overcome the cylinders holding the door closer. I looked for a new door handle but was unable to find one on ebay. I will call the dealer on monday,but I need to move the MH now to drive there.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Your coach should have TriMark handles available here:

TriMark Replacement Chrome Baggage Door Handle [100080-BAG3] - $149.84 : Mega RV Parts, The #1 Source for RV, Motorhome, and Travel Trailer Parts.

Part # 19583-06 is Chrome

Go here to download a PDF of the specs. It will show you how the lock and handle work so you can figure out how to get it open when it is broken.

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media/...-0475_Rev5.pdf

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Thank you, I have the model for a replacement latch. However I cannot get the bay door open even though I can unlatch the door. The door opens vertically and has two phneumatic cylinders that hold the door up and also hold it down. I have tried and so far cannot get the door to lift up.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had to crawl through remove the plastic cover on the back of the lock and then pull down on the linkage. That releases the bottom latch so you can lift the door (outside person while you are doing this). I have installed a wire linkage from the lock down to the lower edge of the doors that I can grab withlong needle nose to release for future broken latches. Especialy utility bays where you have no way of getting behind the lockset.

Guys this is not a matter of if, but rather when. Murphy says it will not be an opportune time!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Oh-One, sounds like the lock is not releasing even though you think it is. Try reaching in through the sewer outlet hole in the bottom of the bay and see if you can remove it lock that way. Should only have four screws holding it in place. This may not work but could be worth a try as the problem is with your service bay door.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

I finally got the door open!!!! I reached up through the power cable porthole and removed the latch that was hidden on the bottom of the door. The latch was in the center of the bottom of the door where it cannot be seen. Now I can open the door . We leave tomorrow!!! Thanks for the help. Sam