Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Door scissor arm repair after 16 years.

I’ve had to bend up the portion that sticks out 3 times in 16 years on the 04 Dynasty that’s still in the family. Recently that didn’t work well... center pivot is very loose. I know others have replaced the pivot and/or added a bigger dimple or even replaced with a gas strut. These solutions seem overkill but I decided to remove it and see which way to repair or replace.

Could not remove it easily as the door mount is pop-riveted to the top of the door...other end is screwed on. So, I got two heavy hammers and tightened the pivot. Took longer to find two hammers of my liking than the 10-12 times of hitting it to get it tight again. Now it’s probably only good for another 14 years.

I’ve found a pipe wrench works the best for bending the end that sticks out... had to bend it back down to get the door to shut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53C3DD0E-6222-4AFC-9791-05F567098C0F.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	297639   Click image for larger version

Name:	E82C68F9-EC3D-4655-BF85-5A7C1FCC6661.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	297640  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7AEE5590-F0F8-4589-A6FD-9FD3220E2FC8.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	297641  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
read about this : https://bsehlin.wordpress.com/entry-door-strut/

I replaced mine with another scissor arm but if I had to do it again I'm going with the strut.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes, I said a gas strut is an option but IMO it’s overkill. In 16 years I’ve spent maybe 10 minutes (adjusting it 3 times...about every 4 years) and now another 15 minutes (5 finding the 2 hammers) tightening the center pivot. What do you have to loose adjusting or tightening the pivot as it works well for years after???
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Yes, I said a gas strut is an option but IMO it’s overkill. In 16 years I’ve spent maybe 10 minutes (adjusting it 3 times...about every 4 years) and now another 15 minutes (5 finding the 2 hammers) tightening the center pivot. What do you have to loose adjusting or tightening the pivot as it works well for years after???
I agree on my coach I just bent / tweaked the arm a bit with a large pair of channel locks and has been fine for years now.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not 100% with the door strut installation either. I don't care for it hanging out like that. And the piece of duct tape over the original hole does not do it for me.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

I have bent and tweaked the arm frequently since we bought the coach used. We never knew exactly how it worked new until I broke down and bought a new one.
It actually friction locks in the open position and doesn't droop down in the closed position and drag while opening or closing. I consider it a good result and a good value considering all the time I wasted fiddling with it. The install was quick and easy if you have a ladder, a drill and a pop rivet gun for the four pop rivets you have to R&R.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's the Ford vs Chevy debate. My scissor's have always given me a problem. Monaco replaced them 2 times under warranty (first year).

After the warranty ran out, I put up with them a few years but the scissor was rubbing the paint on the door and the frame. I tried adjusting it numerous times. Finally replaced with the strut. I've never had an issue since. The only thing we had to get use to, is you can't leave the door 1/2 way open, but that's no big deal. It's either fully open or you close it.

I kept the scissors in my garage in case I ever changed my mind, and just happened to see it the other day. But it's not going back on.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
As Ivylog said, the longest part of the job is drilling out the pop rivets in the door.

The repair to replace the pivot-rivet is pretty easy. The first time I bought one; after that fix my old one as a spare for the next time.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I'm not 100% with the door strut installation either. I don't care for it hanging out like that. And the piece of duct tape over the original hole does not do it for me.
Yahtzee!
Old 08-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
YC1

The strut is one of the best mods I have ever done. The door does not get jerked out of my hand with high winds. I have had to replace it several times but we full time and run in and out like kids. It takes longer to get the ladder out that to change.

Filling the holes where the old plates were is easy enough.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I made this mod quite some time ago. We love it!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas...ed-241214.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #12

My Experience is leave the scissors arm on even if you put a gas spring on the door as a safety stop to keep stress off of the strut. I removed my scissors and I had trouble with the door swinging open under the pressure of the strut.

This would "slam" when the strut was at the end of its travel and pull the screws out and bend the gas spring brackets. Got tired of it and went back to the scissors arm.

If you can find a "soft open" gas spring that would help. I bought 3 and none of them were soft open. Even after calling Suspa. They had no idea.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
My Experience is leave the scissors arm on even if you put a gas spring on the door as a safety stop to keep stress off of the strut. I removed my scissors and I had trouble with the door swinging open under the pressure of the strut.

This would "slam" when the strut was at the end of its travel and pull the screws out and bend the gas spring brackets. Got tired of it and went back to the scissors arm.

If you can find a "soft open" gas spring that would help. I bought 3 and none of them were soft open. Even after calling Suspa. They had no idea.
What pressure struts were you using? I don't have that problem.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #14

Joe,
I tried a 20lb (wife could hardly close the door). then 15 and I think even a 10. That is the pressure that they will lift. Not sure if that has anything to do with the SPEED they move out. Maybe with a vertical lift of a bay door it does.

You must have a spring that has a cush or slows down at the end of the opening stroke. I never could find one that did not just slam at the end due to the inertia of the heavy door. When mine stop they stop and the door wants to keep on swinging open.
I know a lot of guys love this set up and that is great but I could not find a gas spring that slowed down just before the cylinder was fully extended to prevent the damage to the brackets and ripped out screws. Plenty to fix and repair without having to mess with that all the time. My old scissors was super loose and it was annoying also.

Tags
repair, door, air