Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Door Strut Upgrade

I have seen a lot of door strut upgrades, but none on this particular style door.

With the door angled at the top, the forward ball bracket will need to fall on the fiberglass A pillar instead of the door trim above the older style doors. My question is, will the screws hold in the fiberglass? I've considered putting in riv-nuts and using machine screws in the fiberglass instead to give the fasteners more surface area to distribute the shear/tension forces from the cylinder.

Has anyone done a door strut upgrade with this door style?
AllenIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

Not sure I follow the question. But on my 08 Endeavor mine goes from the front of the door frame back to the top edge of the door
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2496.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	309789
32hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
photos would probably help a lot.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I’ve had good luck bending the part that sticks out up a little on the factory stop in both of the rigs below. Recently had to tighten the pivot on the 04 Dynasty and unbend it a little.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced the scissor arm to a gas strut on mine with the attached instructions I found on line. I left the scissor arm in place as a back-up in case the gas strut ever fails. Don't even know it's there. What an incredible improvement from the flapping in the wind door.
I just cannot find any pics after the installation. Maybe I forgot to take any.
The ball brackets I got from Amazon were already black. So all I had to do is dunk the screws in black rust-oleum and a little touch-up.
The only problem I had was drilling the door bracket center hole. The door panel edge must have been right at that same location under the trim. When I started to torque that screw, the top trim started pulling up and the screw did not work any more. So replaced the screw with a pop rivet but it is probably not doing anything but covering the hole. Since the trim got pulled up slightly, I just added some black caulk to it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monaco_door_gas_strut_upgrade.pdf (254.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #6

@Lowflyer Thanks for posting the detailed instructions. My swing arm came apart in the middle. I found gas struts and ball brackets at a Camping World. This should be a good afternoon project on a warm winter day here in Georgia.
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:29 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflightnut View Post
@Lowflyer Thanks for posting the detailed instructions. My swing arm came apart in the middle. I found gas struts and ball brackets at a Camping World. This should be a good afternoon project on a warm winter day here in Georgia.
Great, you will be pleased how much better the door will work and no more slamming to the stops if you forget to hold on to the door during opening.
It helps to have good sharp drill bits and take care marking and drilling the holes.
Since your old one came apart, you probably need to follow the removal of the old one also that I did not need to do.

Tags
door, upgrade