Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #1

Door Wind Noise

Just got back from a trip to St Geroge Island SP (got run off because of Claudette tropical storm) and thought I would get busy and try and reduce the wind noise created by the door. My dealer tried several times, even tightened the door bolt and changing the molding. Nothing seems to help. Anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the noise? How about some special type of rubber molding? Maybe duck tape it and jump thru the window to get in? s/Toby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

I cemented a piece of rubber moulding right next to the front of the door frame. The piece of rubber is flat on one side and wraps back over the flat side like a half a U. This piece of moulding deflects the air over the frame and works very well. Have seen similar set ups on other motorhomes.

Neil
LIFE ROCKS WHEN YOUR LIVING ROOM ROLLS
2pedersens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Toby,

I assume your dealer has already done everything they can to eliminate noise from the door itself. Before turning attention elsewhere, however, make sure that the top and bottom outside corners of the door are making good seals when the door is closed. If not, the door may have to be cambered in at those corners with some sort a heavy retension strip screwed to the jam edge.

That said, there are a lot of things that can cause "door noise", besides the obvious door that is not tight fitting and lets in air. The most common is the awning arm right outside the door. Make sure it is tight when traveling, and that no air is getting through it. If so, the air needs to be deflected around. Also make sure that there are no stuctures inside the awining arm that are rubbing or rattling against each other.

Next, if there is a slide right behind the door, is that making a good seal when it's all the way in. How about the step well? Is that insulated well enough on the bottom side of the coach, or could you be getting noise from the road and wheel well? You can always glue foil backed foam panels to the underside and exterior sides of the stair well and paint them flat black.

How about the front right dash area. If you take off the windshield garnish between the deck of the dash and the windshield, can you see daylight in the area leading down to the road. If so, it needs sealed with expanding foam.

My last coach was a Fleetwood coach that had terrible door noise. I did all of the things I've mentioned here and was able to significantly reduce the noise.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #4

Thanks Neil and Robin

Good ideas. I'll get started on trying to fix it tomorrow using some of your ideas. Its shame that the RV makers do not put doors on RVs like they do for cars and pick-up trucks. My GFC pick-up has a double seal around the doors. Makes a big difference. s/Toby
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Toby - We had wind noise and rattling from our door when on the road and significant noise when passing or being passed. I went to Ace Hardware and browsed their weather-stripping selection. Found a roll of white, closed-cell rubber strip with an adhesive backing, probably 1/4 inch in diameter. Affixed it to the bottom of the door (the largest gap) and also around the entire frame where the door hit the frame. Road/wind noise undetectable now, least not above the rest of our noise! Probably took me 20 mins and cost $10 - time and money well-spent!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #6

Update. I went to Lowes and picked up several rolls of insolation.
One was a roll of EDPM with two rolls side-by-side. I installed it around the inside of the door. I also got the rubber roll for the bottom of a Gar door. It has a little lip on it that fits along the outside metal perfectly. I held off putting this on until I have a chance to drive it to see how the EDPM works since I have to use glue to put it on with. s/Toby