Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

Thumbs up double door refer Norcold

the propane burner lights and runs. But the igniter keeps on ticking then after a few minutes the whole thing shuts down. I use the magnet trick every now and then mostly happens after I have it washed. but this is a different problem. It's always something. this is our 5th one and everyone of them always needed a Wrench always appreciate any help thanks Rory & Brenda 40 ft Monaco Dynasty
rory .miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Good morning Rory.Miller; Sorry you are having problems with your, as some people call it, the Nocold. From what you are describing and what I might and might not know about your situation, it sounds to me that the sparker/igniter is not sending the signal back to the control box that the flame is operating as it should so it shuts down the burner. I would check the trouble shooting section of the owners manual. Also first I would make sure that the igniter is the proper distance from the burner. Also check that there is not a pile of rust on the burner itself and no rust has attached itself to the igniter. These two things can make the burner not provide enough heat to the igniter for the signal to be sent to the control unit. Also make sure that the igniter has a clean connection to the black control box. Let us know what you find out. Rust and etc. on the burner and igniter can cause lots of problems you are describing. Good luck and I hope you get going to wherever your going too.
P.S. If you think that you are having problems with the recall unit on the coils, if you put a search in at the top of this page about, bypassing the recall box for testing, I am sure someone has put a diagram out there so you can bypass that recall box and put the refer back to it's original state to see if the recall over temp unit is bad. Again, good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

mine does that after sitting for a bit. it's usually just some corrosion and/or spiders. I tap on the tube/igniter and that always does the trick. good luck
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #4

Yup. Perhaps a small brush, like a tooth brush, to clean off the burner tip where the electrode is installed. Maybe a little air blown from your compressor to clear out any dust, corrosion flakes, soot, spider webs, etc., if you have a nozzle so you can do that. (Stand to the side and shield your eyes)

The gap between the electrode and the burner body is supposed to be 1/8" to 3/16".

The electrical impedance of that gap between the ignitor and the burner tube is continuously detected by the control board, and serves as the flame sensor. (You will notice that you don't have the traditional thermocouple in the flame to do that job.) If the impedance is affected by particulate contamination, it will sense that as meaning that a flame not present. It will then try again to ignite it. After so many tries, it will shut down the process, just like you are experiencing. So a clean area and a proper gap between the electrode and the tube is important.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Smile New Knight Owner

Just retired from my Refrigeration business and purchased our first pusher. Plugged into 30a service and ran front a/c. Tripped inside breaker, spent 1/2 day looking for breaker box. DA me, wife found it. Above bed on rear of coach. Norcold not working so today I'll tackle that problem. Probably need wifes help with that too.
Mrjepmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory .miller View Post
the propane burner lights and runs. But the igniter keeps on ticking then after a few minutes the whole thing shuts down. I use the magnet trick every now and then mostly happens after I have it washed. but this is a different problem. It's always something. this is our 5th one and everyone of them always needed a Wrench always appreciate any help thanks Rory & Brenda 40 ft Monaco Dynasty
Think this link might be a little early but save it as soon the Nocold is just a PITA.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/swap...os-341038.html

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold

I have been in the refrigeration industry 38+ years. My experience with adsorption, AKA Amonia refrigeratiors is limited. I too hear my igniter ticking when on shore power, drives me nuts. My next step, is like the previous replies, check and clean all connections, and sensors, especially all grounds !!!!
Other than that the control modules also do go bad, check and clean the terminal connectors. The module and ground, that is how the sensor knows when to shut off the igniter. Just my $.02 hope it helps.
tc914-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

thanks alot I have been out of town I will work on it tomorrow
Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

thank you
Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #10

thank you, very nice info. I will try all of that and keep my fingers crossed

Tags
door, norcold