Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Driver Seat Swivel Lock

Hello, All,
I just replaced the switch and the cable that allows the captain's chair to rotate. I thought it was fairly easy to do. Just followed the old one. But now, the chair seems not to lock in fixed position. What did I miss?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

On my Newmar w Flexsteel seats I just removed / replaced to have recovered. The outer cable covering had an adjustable end. If it is too tight the lock is always released... it may just need adjusting.
The other possibility is the piece that swivels to release might benefit from some spray lube at the pivot point.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
On my Newmar w Flexsteel seats I just removed / replaced to have recovered. The outer cable covering had an adjustable end. If it is too tight the lock is always released... it may just need adjusting.
The other possibility is the piece that swivels to release might benefit from some spray lube at the pivot point.
That is a good point. There were a couple of holes. I do not remember which one was it in when I remove it as it was hard to see the holes. I could only feel them with my fingers. I will have to check on it. But it makes sense.

Thanks for chiming in.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #4

Does not sound like cable is pulling lever far enough, I would take another look at adjusting pull cable.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Does not sound like cable is pulling lever far enough, I would take another look at adjusting pull cable.
The cable is a certain length. The only adjustment I can see is the different holes. Here is a picture of the cable installation that I got from Villa.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kf abts-std-04.pdf (62.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm following this thread because I have the same problem.

Tim
Old 11-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I'm following this thread because I have the same problem.

Tim
Tim: What is our problem; won't lock like mine, or trying to replace the switch and cable?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
The cable is a certain length. The only adjustment I can see is the different holes. Here is a picture of the cable installation that I got from Villa.
Ah... didn't mention Villa at start. Mine are FlexSteel...similar but different.
On mine the cable outer casing is held in a clip and has a threaded end that is the adjustment.
On yours looks like a bracket the cable goes thru... does that retain the outer casing of cable?
Also on mine cable released the locking mechanism and there was a spring that returns it to the lock position when seat is aligned properly with the base.
If spring is disconnected /missing nothing to return it to lock position?
If yours has no threaded / adjustable end on the outer cable it may be that the different holes are the issue. If your locking arm is also spring return I will guess the cable is too tight and holding the lock open even when lever is released. Try a hole closer so it has some slack when release lever is unactivated.
I found raising my seat gave me more room & visibility while working on it.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Problem Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Ah... didn't mention Villa at start. Mine are FlexSteel...similar but different.
On mine the cable outer casing is held in a clip and has a threaded end that is the adjustment.
On yours looks like a bracket the cable goes thru... does that retain the outer casing of cable?
Also on mine cable released the locking mechanism and there was a spring that returns it to the lock position when seat is aligned properly with the base.
If spring is disconnected /missing nothing to return it to lock position?
If yours has no threaded / adjustable end on the outer cable it may be that the different holes are the issue. If your locking arm is also spring return I will guess the cable is too tight and holding the lock open even when lever is released. Try a hole closer so it has some slack when release lever is unactivated.
I found raising my seat gave me more room & visibility while working on it.
Winemaker2: you are right in that the cable was too tight. There are two sets of holes. I looked at the passenger side seat and noticed that. After I moved the cable to the closest hole giving the cable a bit more slack, viola, it locked in! Thanks for yoru suggestion.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #10

[emoji106]
I just reinstalled mine last week so it was fresh.Glad it helped.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Tim: What is our problem; won't lock like mine, or trying to replace the switch and cable?
Yes Mine will not lock like yours.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Winemaker2: you are right in that the cable was too tight. There are two sets of holes. I looked at the passenger side seat and noticed that. After I moved the cable to the closest hole giving the cable a bit more slack, viola, it locked in! Thanks for yoru suggestion.
I will check this out tomorrow. Thank You.

Tim
Old 11-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I will check this out tomorrow. Thank You.

Tim
Let us know what you find out. Look at your copilot seat. The swivel is identical to pilot seat.
Good luck!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked at it and the cable too tight. I will fix it tomorrow.
Thank you guys!

Tim

Tags
driver, seat