Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Driver side CRT to LCD

Hi Again:
We have a 99 Executive with the old CRT type TV over the driver. We're thinking about replacing it with as large as possible LCD. We done this job on a 98 Dutch Star, but its TV is in the center.
Are there any threads describing how to replace a driver side TV?
Thanks
Don, Lisa, and Alexa
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Please feel free to use our "Search" (on the upper toolbar) function and enter the words, "TV replacement". You will be amazed at the entries perhaps numbering into the hundreds of posts.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

Driver side

I have
But I haven't found any for Drivers side
Its a bigger challenge than center
Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don:

My wife and I just purchased a Monaco Dynasty (2000). We have the same situation. I ran across a blog/website a month or so back that had the exact instructions that I needed with pictures (corner mount). It was so easy to find that I did not bother bookmarking it. Obviously, I don't know where it is now.

I have gotten some useful information off of: www.tvformyrv.com . One of the things mentioned is that the best bracket may be the Bello 7465. I also remember from the post (that I can't find), that he had to sandwich together two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood for the mounting wall in the TV cabinet. He also used a small piece of roop with a wedge (similiar to what you would use to hold the lines on a sailboat) to pull the LCD in tight while traveling.

I am just in the planning stages right now because it is too friggin cold to be working on the RV right now, but my current plans look like I'll be buying a 32" and the Bello mount to do my project.

If you would like to collaborate with me on this, let me know.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

We'd love too, when we get around to it. We are a month or two away from the TV project, and like yawl, just beginning to plan.
Right now our priority is bringing it up to our cosmetic and mechanical standards.

My one thought after a brief examination of our 99 Executive driver side TV cabinet is: that it lacks ventilation and ease of access to the back of the TV. Our center TV DutchStar has a full width screen door on the windshield side(backside) of the TV box. This allows for great ventilation and a way to access the interior of the box for initial installation and maintenance. This would also permit use of a fixed tv mount which is extremely stable and cheaper that other types of mounts. Also, this screen access door cannot be seen from outside the coach due to the dark tinting at the top of the windshield.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I see that you mentioned that it lacked ventilation. My previous life was computers and electronics. The CRT that you have generates a tremendous amount of heat, and it is not ventilated. The LCD hardly generates any heat, so that would not be one of my concerns. We'll have to trade more information as we find more out. Thanks for agreeing.

Pat
Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the YouTube video
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Another thing that I have done in my planning stages was to find some large cardboard. I looked up the dimensions of the tv that I considered purchasing, cut the cardboard to size and then held it up in the front where I wanted to mount it. It gave me a real quick idea of what some options could or could not be.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

We'll probably re-work the over head cabinets(YouTube video) and put the new LCD/LED in the center because when its over the driver it can't be seen from the slide side couch.

We put a 26" in our DutchStar because it fit without modifying the cabinet doors on either side of it. In the Monaco, we hope to put a 32" Samsung LED like we recently put in our stickhouse bedroom.

We have a friend that is a wood working, cabinet building fool. We'll definitely need his help.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Update: Driver side CRT to LCD

We have ordered a Vizio 37" HD LCD, model#VL370M $449 no tax or shipping from TigerDirect and thru Buy.com. and a universal mount $18.

We have decided to turn the old CRT cabinet into the new electronics cabinet. We will have the existing 2 doors that currently provide access to the two electronics areas removed and reinstalled where the CRT use to go. This of course will take a little handy work by a friend that builds cabinets. So then the old CRT area will become a nice new electronics(mode selector, DVD player, Sat.receiver, etc) and CD/DVD area. The new Vizio LCD will be mounted as near to center on this overhead area as possible. And to the right of the LCD we'll have another small door built for more storage.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #11

Update: Driver side CRT removal, to centered 37" LCD

We're not completely finished with the 20" driver side CRT removal and install of the new centered HD 37" LCD, but almost.

99 executive 37 " flat screen mod - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I am in the process of doing this currently. The new LCD is 32" and wider than the old opening and so I am making a plywood door to fit across the old opening. The hinges are on the top and the tv will be bolted to the outside of the door so it can swing up with the tv attached to have use of the space the old unit took up without any modifications. Am adding Pneumatic closers ( like the ones on the outside storage doors ) to handle the weight and will have a latch to lock the door when it is down and in the closed position for traveling
Don't have pictures yet but will try to do something as the job goes along if anyone is interested
Mike D
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #13

COOL!! I'm interested!
Please post pics.

I searched for a fold-up LCD mount, but everything I found was outrageously complex and expensive?

Maybe someday I'll get together with my wood working and/or aluminum welding friend(s) to design, build, and install them? We'll keep it simple and affordable.

Don