RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Driver's side front slide not working.

Three of the four slides are working normally.

When the driver front side button is pushed the hydraulic motor comes on, but the slide doesn't budge. I'm pretty sure no force is reaching the slide mechanism since it doesn't even shiver.

This is rather inconvenient - at a dog show with a coach full of dogs and puppies - we bring the whole pack, why else would we have a huge motorhome?

Any suggestions while we are parked here?

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach has an HWH hydraulic system for the front slide (and generator slide). If the fluid level in the reservoir is low the slide is slow to move and doesn't operate smoothly. Clearly, if the level gets below a certain point it won't work at all. We have a couple of very small leaks in our system and I keep it topped up with Dextron lll compatible transmission fluid. I guesstimate that the reservoir holds several quarts.
One caution: the reservoir filler cap is also a breather, so the top gets really dirty. The cap sits almost flush, so it is easy to knock dirt into the reservoir once the cap is off. I really clean that area before removing the cap.
Tip: filling it is a piece of cake if you buy a filler tube that screws onto the trans fluid bottle. Mine is clear plastic tubing about 12" long and has a valve in the neck that makes dripless filling easy.

Cheers,

Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. I had guests over so didn't have a chance to get under it. I noticed the manual specifies you have to check the level with the two front slides in and the rear slides out - seems odd but I'll give it a go.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

I think you have a solenoid not operating.
All you other slides work and you say the pump runs,
Our manual shows a diagram telling which solenoids operate legs and slides.
You may want to tap the correct solenoid and check the connectors.
If the front or back moved but not in sync it would be a cylinder leaking problem.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #5

Our bedroom slide stuck out and wouldn't retract. I was advised first to change out the switch. The switch provides power to the motor and solenoid on separate circuits, so it's possible to have the motor run but not activate the solenoid. When that didn't fix it I found several inline fuses under the step near the solenoids. They all checked good but while poking around I found one of the wires had pulled out of the offending solenoid. I was able to reinsert it and get it to work. Ended up replacing the solenoids at $200 each!
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We had same problem on our knight- Some people pull a fuse so that you can run the engine while pulling in the slide ( extra power) I found that if we close that slide first itworks fine-I think the battery's loose some power pulling in slides so it makes sense to do the largest heaviest first.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #7

I crawled in underneath, moved the genset out to create some room. What a mess. The tank, pump, solenoids, wires and hoses are not accessible. I love the idea that you should check it regularly and they put it where you really can't.

I'm taking it into a shop next week, I'll get them to deal with it.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

If I do large slide last it will not work since 13.8 volt engine battery is below 11 volts after moving all the others. Charge battery first. I removed yellow wire on lockout relay in rear run bay and now I can run engine while I move slides and have lots faster and smother slides. I just have to make sure others do not push buttons while I am moving.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

If you have a tool bin under the carpet of your inside entry step take it out and look. The solenoids should be right there, hopefully.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Falconman, I just leave the screws out of the bin under the step, that way I just lift it out and can easily keep an eye on my fluid. When I bought my coach used, had several leaking hydraulic hoses, so was constantly checking fluid. Now all hoses have been replaced so could probably screw it back down.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #11

Sadly no access point under the step carpet. Have to do it from underneath.

I did confirm that all the other slides show a red and yellow LED on the control box when moving, but the front driver side slide only shows the yellow LED when the slide out button is pressed. It shows both when the slide in is pressed.

The Multiplex box shows a green LED and does click, so the problem is downstream from there.

I understand that there are fuses in the control box, I've asked HWH for a diagram.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #12

BTW, this is not related to battery power. I have lots of battery available. This is a mechanical or electrical (possibly electronic, but I hope not) problem.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #13

Spoke with HWH today. Their tech told me that it is most likely either a fuse or a relay inside the control box. Sadly, the box is not trivial to get at but I'll pull it out.

I've already had to put a new one in, and in discussing this with him I said I had been told that it would cost $280 to get it fixed. Given that it probably involves a $1 part it seemed excessive. He corrected this - they tell anyone sending back a box that the MOST it will cost is $280. For that they would have to replace every component. What they do is charge for the component and time, typically $45 for a half hour.

I'll pull the box and see about the fuse first. Then if that doesn't prove out, I'll try and identify the relay.

I don't want to ship it because HWH use UPS, who are both incompetent and bandits. Shipping to Canada can take weeks, and they charge $100 brokerage to collect $5 in tax. Hard to believe it but UPS makes the post office look good.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

Problem solved.

Well that was interesting. Got the coach to the house (24F here today and snowy so not a great day, but we don't get to choose), and pulled out the HWH box. Nasty location up behind the headlight, but got it out and into the house. I heard a little rattle and before I took it apart, through the polycarbonate cover I saw this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-25 16.03.25.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	112761  

Tags
driver, slide