Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
How are you pulling the bearing caps out? Do you have a puller?
If the bearing plates/caps have not been moved for a while they can be really tough to move.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #16

Okay, this morning I loaded everything I would need and off to the storage yard to try and get the last joint to purge grease.
I tried the tapping the clogged joint while pumping grease in. Glad I have a pneumatic gun. No luck so tried the pumping the grease in quickly which didn't work either. Now the funny or I should say aggravating part is the grease tube went empty plus it started to rain and I had to crawl out from under and put all the tools up. Oh well off to the store to get a couple tubes of grease.
Tomorrow I will loosen the plate on the clogged joint. How much should I loosen it. I'm thinking not much. Really don't know if something will fall out or what if I take the plate completely off.
Thanks for all the helpful posts.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:17 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Really don't know if something will fall out or what if I take the plate completely off.
Thanks for all the helpful posts.
You don't take the cap off completely for the greasing (unless you want to inspect the bearings), you just pull the cap up a 1/4 inch. If it still doesn't take grease or the grease purged out is brown (rusty) then you would want to dissemble for a closer inspection.

If you take the bearing cup out completely, when you put it back together you need to lift the drive shaft a little so the u-joint cross shaft comes out about 1/2 inch out of the cap on the opposite side, then you can put the removed cap back on making sure it fits on the cross shaft before you start pushing the cap back in. If you just try to install the cap without lifting the drive shaft it is likely you will knock some of the needle bearings out of place.

I had my bearing caps off last year. I needed to drop the driveshaft to access the HWH 6-pack valves, and it is no easy task to get the bearing caps out. I have a puller tool and even with that, it took a lot of force to get the cap moving.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	U-Joint Bearign lock plate or self lockign bolts.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	257700  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #18

Had success this morning getting the stubborn ujoint to take grease.
I rotated the driveshaft another 90 degrees and started pumping the grease in. Got some fresh grease in one section of the clogged ujoint at first, kept pumping the grease in, started tapping on it and finally got the whole thing to purge. I guess turning it took enough pressure off this time. It was a aggravating cuss but glad it's done.
Thank you to everyone who posted with their ideas and help.
This site has helped me so many times.
Letsgoagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem from a MOTORHOME SERVICE STATION, got it home loosened all the bolts and nuts and presto the purge flows. Sometimes it is just easier to do it yourself.
Pasojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #20

Thanks all for this post. Going to do a complete grease job from front to back soon and sure I will find some issues
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

get a battery powered grease gun