Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Driving in the Winter - 2000 H.R. Endeavor

This will be our first winter with our 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Unfortunately I've had to winterize the water system since it's going to be chilly over the next week (even though we're leaving in 2 or 3 weeks for our next trip).

We use our water system a lot between the washer/dryer, toilet, shower, etc. The bay with all the water bits in it seems to have spray foam insulation around it, but from what I can tell it's not clear whether I can run the furnace (propane furnace or heat pumps) and keep that area warm enough that the water won't freeze, or whether I need to drive to an area that's not freezing first and then I can put water in.

Any advice from those who've been down this road before would be appreciated.
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Some form of heat in the wet bay should take care of things. Since you’re running heat pumps you have power, a small elec heater (one with a t-stat) would do it. With my Oasis system, I have a heat exchanger in the wet bay, so clearly a heat source there is common practice (first time with this system for me).

I’d look into small portable SAFE heaters and run (GFI protected) power to the wet bay, or even an extension cord temporarily (never use cords in place of permanent wiring). I don’t know how small elec heaters get but you’d only need 200-300 watts. Even a 100w light bulb might do it, but something on a thermostat would be best.

Disclaimer/Safety Admonition: All standard safety precautions apply; when in doubt seek the assistance of an appropriate licensed professional.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Propane furnace should put heat into the basement.

I lived in my coach in pretty coal weather. I do have a small 12 volt heater in the wet bay but I wanted to make sure I could keep the basement warm so I mounted a 120 volt cube heater and used a thermostatic plug https://www.lowes.com/pd/EasyHeat-Fr...roller/1060249 since the plug was off to the side it provided for a more accurate control then on on the small cube heater. I put the cube heater in the largest rear bay pointing back into the small compartment where the water heater and most of the plumbing is located.

I also put a wireless temp monitor in the basement on the back side of the water tank, furthest away from heat sources. If this was reading OK the rest of the basement was fine. I don't think temps go below 40F even though temps outside were in the low teens.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey there Jim ! Hope things are well with you !
Good idea on the temp monitors to verify what you've done works...

Our coach has the whole house water filter in the small passenger side bay, but the wet bay is on the drivers side, so I chose to condition two areas with two heat sources...

I ran a three prong heavy duty external extension from my 110 outlet through my pass-thru basement into the wet bay side and placed a temperature controlled plugs that IIRC turns on at 35 and off at 45 or so...
Put mechanics drop lights at the end with 100 - 200 Watt incandescent in there...

And we use bottled water too for the drive...
Old 10-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted DuPuis View Post
. . . but from what I can tell it's not clear whether I can run the furnace (propane furnace or heat pumps) and keep that area warm enough that the water won't freeze, or whether I need to drive to an area that's not freezing first and then I can put water in.
I might suggest putting a thermometer in the wet bay and running the heat for a day to see what temperature rise you get, above ambient. If only a little bit, it’s probably not enough to keep it warm on the road with 60 mph wind blowing around the enclosure. But if it’s 30 degrees warmer (for instance), it’s far more likely to be fine on the road.

For that matter, put a wireless thermometer sending unit in there while you drive, and monitor the temperature from inside the coach. Just to get a feel for what it takes to keep it from freezing.

Edit: All the above was already recommended. That’s what I get for skimming rather than reading before posting.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

Appreciate the recommendations - thanks! I'll take a closer look at the bay and see what might work as far as heat sources go, and also see what the propane furnace seems to do down there. Also I'll take a look at some wireless thermometers so I can monitor what's going on in there.
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The water bay I ran a small 12v electric heater. I think it is a small 50 watt heater with fan. I added the wires at the battery to the compartment. Added a switch and fuse. I used 12v because it work when driving and when connected to shore power via the converter.

Only thing you need to be concern about is dry camping this heater uses about 4.5 smps per hour.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavor, winter