Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Dump Air BEFORE leveling?

I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor. Taking it out for the 1st time soon...

Should I dump the air before leveling?

Any other helpful advice for a noob will be greatly appreciated.

Someone suggested driveway camping a couple of nights, and I got some great advice on my fridge and generator(thanks).
TRCSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

I dump air from mine, since leveling is done easier , and your rv should be closer to the ground , works great for me , but don’t forget to fill them back up before taking back road
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. On mine I open slides, dump air, level. To leave it's raise jacks, air up coach, pull in slides. That is per the instructions. Some coaches say to level first then open slides. Either way dump the air bags before leveling, unless you have air leveling lol.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Please check your manual. Don't know about the Windsor, but for the 02' Diplomat 40', my kitchen slide will hit the kitchen cabinets if I try and release air first and then open slide(s). My manual says to open slides first, then dump air. Even then there is only about 1/4" of clearance between slide and kitchen cabinets. FWIW.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

TRCSOONER-

The owner's manual for your coach (link here) lists the slide out operation procedures, starting on page 126.

On page 127, there's this note:

Quote:
NOTE: Slide-out room operation should be performed with a full air suspension system.
It's been repeated often on iRV2 that Monaco designed the slides to be extended with their coaches at ride height (both diesel and gas coaches, by the way), then leveled. The procedure in the 2001 Windsor manual appears to follow this "typical" sequence. You need to confirm for yourself, though, what the manual says. Definitely don't take my word for it!

On an different topic, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

Hi TRCSOONER; I have an 01 Windsor 34' with the kitchen slide only. Yes as others here have mentioned, deploy the slides at full ride height and then level. My previous 2000 Windsor had the air leveling and I miss that option the most. My 01 has hydraulic jacks for leveling and as my own personal preference I don't dump the suspension for leveling. Just me. Most places I have always been in the area is fairly level. Jacks are deployed just for making the coach stable.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 exe the owners manual says open side, dump air and level. The manual says that if you use the auto level button it is supposed dump the air automatically before deploying the hydraulic feet. Mine is not working so I dump the air then auto level.

I believe the reason for this is by dumping air the jacks have less travel to level the coach therefore is more stable on the jacks.

I also have a slow leak Internetly in my front drivers air so if I am relying on the air to take some stress of the coach when camping over time it may not. By removing the air from the airbags the coach is on bump stops on the chassis unless the jacks have to lift the coach a lot.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I extend the slideouts while at travel height, per Monaco's instructions, then dump air to put the step as close to the ground as possible, then level. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #9

I do the same as Joe. ride height slides out dump out a little air to get step close to the ground and then level. Thats how my manual says do it.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leveling