Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
When we park and want to use the jacks to level, and I turn off the engine (even though the label on the jack panel says "ENGINE RUNNING required for leveling"), is it possible to dump too much air? (remember, I'm new to the air system.) The air gauges are usually at or slightly above 115 when driving and I have brought them down to 65 or a little less, but have gotten the LOW AIR warning light on the dash. I've also gotten the ALT FAIL warning when doing this. This thing wants to air back up as I'm trying to lower it and I'd like to dump as much as possible. So..., is it possible to dump too much air when using the jack levelers?
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When we park and want to use the jacks to level, and I turn off the engine (even though the label on the jack panel says "ENGINE RUNNING required for leveling"), is it possible to dump too much air? (remember, I'm new to the air system.) The air gauges are usually at or slightly above 115 when driving and I have brought them down to 65 or a little less, but have gotten the LOW AIR warning light on the dash. I've also gotten the ALT FAIL warning when doing this. This thing wants to air back up as I'm trying to lower it and I'd like to dump as much as possible. So..., is it possible to dump too much air when using the jack levelers?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am fairly sure that I am the least mechanical guy on the forum....
but I beleive the air pump is designed to take it up to the 115 pounds or so, if it is low and then shut down when it gets to the 115 pounds..and again, I believe it wants that much for the brake system, as well as the air bags....if you pump the brakes, and the air is reduced, it proceeds to bring it back up....I am sure those that know will give you a technical answer....but from my experience, you get all the warning lights when trying to drive with low air because of the brake system.

Okay...techies, give them the right answer
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am a little confused by your decal to have the engine running to dump the air. You have to have the ignition on to dump the air to below 60# to get the chassis to sit on the frame. It is a good idea to get the air as low as possible so someone doesn't accidently release the brakes. The brakes will not release if you have less than about 30# air. Your air system should not be getting down to the 60# range when driving. Are you pumping or riding the brakes? If not, I would have it checked. I also got a ALT Light but it cured itself after a few times. Still don't know what caused it. Hope this answers some of your concerns.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, I need to clarify my question. This is based upon being parked and wanting to use the jacks, and trying to dump as much air as possible. And being concerned that I could do some type of harm by dumping toooooo much air.

We have a label on the jack control panel that states: "ENGINE RUNNING required for leveling." I understand this is new with the 2008 models. When I am parked and have the engine running, the coach tries to add air as I'm trying to dump as much as possible. I use the 'AIR DUMP' switch on the dash. The dealer's tech who showed us the jack leveling system said we could turn the engine off (but have to leave the key in accessories 'on' position) in order to empty as much air as possible. He was telling me that I could ignore the label.

We have not had any issues with the air system while driving.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gonefishing, Follow your dealer's tech instructions. he's right. With engine running it would very difficult to dump air.
What we do is to enter a site turn off engine put slides out, turn key to on position dump air to 40lbs or less then level.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is it possible to dump too much air? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope....We usually dump all air out. It just takes longer to pump everything back up when you get ready to leave..
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've also gotten the ALT FAIL warning when doing this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This should not be tied to the air in any way. This is one to write on your list for Harrisburg in April.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">, is it possible to dump too much air when using the jack levelers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not as long as you dump before you use the Jacks.
You won't be able to dump air faster than the compressor can restore it while the engine is running. Engine off, key on in order to dump.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #8

Point of interest- "Dumping the air" is in reference to dumping the air out of your air bags on your suspension system.
You need to dump out all of the air from your suspension system to get the coach as low to the ground as possible. This allows the leveling system to have a greater range to get you level on uneven ground. You don't want to try and level with your suspension at ride height. Your jacks will have to extend most of their range just to get in contact with the ground. You will then lose several inches in leveling ability.
All new systems that I have seen will automatically dump the air suspension when you hit the "auto level" button.
As far as having the engine on, the only reason you would ever need the engine on to level would be if your jacks require the engine to power the jacks. I have not seen that. That being said, I would question your suspension air dump. Most new systems will allow you to dump the air and it will stay dumped until you put the coach in gear. Some also will stay dumped until go over 5 miles per hour if you dumped it while in gear. The purpose of this is to get under tight fit bridges or tree limbs. This is something I would ask the dealer or someone that has a coach like yours. I hope this helps.

ScubaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gonefishin...As a side note, you should completely drain the air tanks every so often. There is a valve in the front generator bay and one near the hitch. It prevents water buildup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is it possible to dump too much air? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope....We usually dump all air out. It just takes longer to pump everything back up when you get ready to leave..
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've also gotten the ALT FAIL warning when doing this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This should not be tied to the air in any way. This is one to write on your list for Harrisburg in April.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">, is it possible to dump too much air when using the jack levelers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not as long as you dump before you use the Jacks.
You won't be able to dump air faster than the compressor can restore it while the engine is running. Engine off, key on in order to dump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto here on dumping ALL the air.... yup, the darned thing dies of suffocation every time!!
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Someone said they had not seen the label so here is a photo of the jack control panel. Apparently this is new for 2008.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gonefishing,

That looks just like mine with the exception of the label that says the engine needs to be running. If I have the engine running the bags will not dump down far enough. Try it without the engine running and dump the air as far down as you can get it before pushing the auto button. The low air alarm will be on.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Someone said they had not seen the label so here is a photo of the jack control panel. Apparently this is new for 2008. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You cannot dump the air with the engine on, so that means you are supposed to start the engine before you use the jacts, after you dump the air. If you do that the bags will begin to re-fill. That just does not make any sense.

It looks like a stick-on label, which means that it probably came from Monaco rather than PowerGear. I'd sure like to know why they put it there. If anyone who owns an 08 coach calls Monaco to find out, please post the answer here.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mick and Rick,
WOW! Boy, I don't know, but I think quite frankly that somebody at the factory goofed up when they put that sticker on the jacks control panel. If any sticker, (ours didn't come with one) it should read that the ignition key should be in the ACCESORY position with the engine OFF. The compressor runs with the engine and will allways run until it's pressure limet is reached before it turns off. Ours runs until about 137 psi or there abouts and doesn't come on until about 86 psi. The air always goes down when using the brakes a lot in city traffic and downhill grades which is normal. You will get a low air alarm below 60 psi when you are dumping the air or (God forbid) when there is an air leak.

Our altenator light always comes on when the ignition key is in the accesory position. I guess it figures that the altinator should be spinning/charging when the engine is running. Obviously the engine is shut down.

We had a problem once with the altenator light when it stuck "on" when it was raining while driving and water got into the driver's side electrical bay and into the altenator relay. We had some audible alarms that would not shut up. We took it to Massey's Diesel in Phoenix and they cleaned the relay out and put it back in the bay up-side-down to keep the insides dry whenever water gets into the bay. We haven't had any trouble with it since.

I hope this clears things up for you. I'm still confounded at what that sticker is all about.

Tom