Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 02:17 AM   #1

DuoTherm Temp Sensor Question

Hello Everyone. My rear AC works fine but I cannot raise the temperature at the thermostat to have it shut down. So once it is cold enough, I have to manually turn zone 2 off at the thermostat. It appears it isn't getting feedback from the temp sensor in the rear bedroom. Does the temp sensor, which I am assuming is like this, go to the AC unit itself first or does it bypass the AC unit and go all the way to the thermostat directly from the rear bedroom? When I bought my RV 8 years ago, I took off the white cover for the sensor which was under the TV cabinet and there was nothing (no wire) under the white cover. At that time, I was sort of new to RV's and didn't give it a 2nd thought as I was up to my neck in other repairs. We don't use the rear AC much but last weekend we did and I played with the thermostat for the rear zone and couldn't raise the temp and get the AC to shut off. Thank you.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think the bedroom A/C unit in our 2002 Windsor uses a remote sensor. I believe it uses the sensor in the thermostat itself. Not sure about this!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #3

Hi Mile Marker 42; I am sure your your theory is correct in assuming that the sensor in the bedroom tells the rear A/C unit to turn off when it has reached its given temp selected on the thermostat. Only assuming this as my 01 Windsor has the sensor you shown. I have only 1 thermostat located in the kitchen area and only the sensor located next to the bed for zone 2. As you mentioned, if there is no wire connected to that sensor in the bedroom the A/C unit would just continue to run as there would be no info sent to the A/C unit. I also am assuming that the info from the sensor would be sent to the control board in the rear A/C, zone 2 to let the unit know when the room has reached its selected temp. I think you might need to get a wiring diagram to see where these wires go. Should be in your big Monaco box or online.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
.. Does the temp sensor go to the AC unit itself first or does it bypass the AC unit and go all the way to the thermostat directly from the rear bedroom? .
If you have exactly ONE rooftop unit connected to the CCC thermostat, it uses the temp sensor inside the CCC thermostat to control the temperature.
If you have additional rooftop units attached to your thermostat, only zone 1 will use the temp sensor in the CCC.
Any zone(s) other than Zone 1 must have a temp sensor (like the one you linked) attached to each additional rooftop unit.
Your CCC thermostat is really more of a remote keypad than it is like the 'thermostat' that controls your home HVAC unit. There's a control board inside the rooftop unit that is really the 'brains' of the system. We use the CCC to set a mode, and it gets the temp from the CCC, but it's the rooftop unit that decides when to turn on the compressor, or when to send a signal to start the furnace or aqua-hot.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 04-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about your particular coach but on my unit the remote sensors are mounted on outside walls. The walls are not insulated well enough to keep outside heat away from the sensors. What I did to help this was to pull the sensors inside the coach and spray foam inside the walls where they reside then reinsert the sensors. Seemed to help a lot.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #6

The first pic is of the rear temperature sensor in the bedroom of my '05 Knight. It does communicate Zone 2 temperature fairly accurately to my CCC.
The second pic is of the forward temperature sensor for Zone 1. It came from the dealership like that and no one there knew what it was because the finned housing was missing. I had to find out by reading about it on this forum. Because it is so close to the windshield it tends to read a little high in the summer sun and a bit cold in the winter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210412_134410752.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	324750Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210412_134317552_HDR.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	324751
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
If you have exactly ONE rooftop unit connected to the CCC thermostat, it uses the temp sensor inside the CCC thermostat to control the temperature.
If you have additional rooftop units attached to your thermostat, only zone 1 will use the temp sensor in the CCC.
Any zone(s) other than Zone 1 must have a temp sensor (like the one you linked) attached to each additional rooftop unit.
Your CCC thermostat is really more of a remote keypad than it is like the 'thermostat' that controls your home HVAC unit. There's a control board inside the rooftop unit that is really the 'brains' of the system. We use the CCC to set a mode, and it gets the temp from the CCC, but it's the rooftop unit that decides when to turn on the compressor, or when to send a signal to start the furnace or aqua-hot.
Cheers,
Walter
I have 2 units on the roof. The unit I cannot control thru the thermostat other than on/off and fan speed is the rear bedroom. So, you are saying I should be able to remove the inside covering of that unit and look for the sensor wire which should be going from the circuit board down to under the TV cabinet? There was a white sensor cover originally under the TC cabinet in the rear bedroom but I couldn't find a wire. Where exactly on the circuit board should "a" sensor wire attach? Maybe the factory only installed the sensor cover and never ran the wire??
Old 04-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had success getting my mid unit functioning properly just by unplugging / plugging in the remote temp sensor where it plug's into the AC unit. Looks like a phone line connection.
Just need to drop the filter inside to get access to it.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I have 2 units on the roof. The unit I cannot control thru the thermostat other than on/off and fan speed is the rear bedroom. So, you are saying I should be able to remove the inside covering of that unit and look for the sensor wire which should be going from the circuit board down to under the TV cabinet? There was a white sensor cover originally under the TC cabinet in the rear bedroom but I couldn't find a wire. Where exactly on the circuit board should "a" sensor wire attach? Maybe the factory only installed the sensor cover and never ran the wire??
Right. See attached diagram. Look up inside the air intake of your Zone 2 unit. You should see a bundle of wires coming down through the air intake. Red/Black are 12v power, a pair of blue wires for the furnace/aquahot, pair of yellow load-shed wires, and then the pair of White wires that should go to a temp sensor.
There's also a phone cable that runs from the zone-2 unit forward to the zone-1 unit, and then another phone cable from the zone-1 unit to the CCC.
Cheers,
Walter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hvac.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	324758  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #10

My -04 Imperial also has the bedroom thermostat on the TV cabinet and the wire goes behind the TV and up from there.
There are actually lots of wires behind the TV. I have not even looked at that stuff yet.

Perhaps the previous owner pulled it off while working on something else and it got tangled with the other wires behind the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210412_183912.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	324766  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #11

[QUOTE ]
I took off the white cover for the sensor which was under the TV cabinet and there was nothing (no wire) under the white cover.
[ QUOTE ]

Before chasing down wires take the white cover off and see if you
can fish the sensor out through the hole. It needs to be outside
the hole so it can sample the surrounding air.
On my 03 Windsor I can access it from inside the TV cabinet
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #12

Ah, missed that part !

Yeah, your gona need to find that.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
[QUOTE ]
I took off the white cover for the sensor which was under the TV cabinet and there was nothing (no wire) under the white cover.
[ QUOTE ]

Before chasing down wires take the white cover off and see if you
can fish the sensor out through the hole. It needs to be outside
the hole so it can sample the surrounding air.
On my 03 Windsor I can access it from inside the TV cabinet
The wire isn't visible as I think it would be under the false floor of the TV cabinet. I took the cover off 8 years ago and there was no wire there. There are no other wires back there unaccounted for. I will first remove the A/C interior cover and see if I have a telephone wire in there. Hopefully I do and then I can begin to remove false floor and see if the sensor wire may have gotten sucked up in the hole. Thanks to all that posted. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:40 AM   #14

You will have telephone wires up there. The 2 A/Cs are connected
together and the thermostat is all connected with telephone wires.
So you'll need to figure out which is the sensor, it's been too long
and I can't recall how to determine that. I think the sensor connector
may be a little different but not sure.

The fact that your sensor is not where it should be makes me believe
that is your problem.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duotherm