Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #1

Duotherm to Penguin II Details Confirmed?

I've read hundreds of posts on this subject but can't seem to find all the correct answers in one post. I'm hoping someone can confirm whether I have the correct facts or not.

I recently bought a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV with the two original 15K Duotherm AC/HP, using two 5 button thermostats, one for each AC unit. Each of my ACs are drawing 18 to 22 amps, and it has been proven to be the compressors causing it.

My plan is to replace both with 15" Penguin II AC/HPs. To try to lessen the complications I plan to replace both thermostats with the 10 button CCC2.

At this point I'm expecting it to be almost plug-n-play, after setting dip switches. But, I keep reading about the hidden Aqua Hot controller that might also need to be replaced with a Dometic 3312020.000 kit. It seems like every time I read about this it's a Newmar product. Can anyone confirm if this needs to be replaced on my Monaco?

Are there any other details that I'm missing?
BSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a wiring diagram. On my 2002 Windsor the wiring diagram shows how the AC's and my furnace is wired.

In you case do you know if the communication phone wiring is routed from the back to the front. I only have one thermostat, the communication wire goes to the rear AC which has 2 communication wire, and then there was a communication wire going to the front. Just used 2 couplers to hook the wires together.

Point is if you don't have a communication wire that goes between the two AC units you may not be able to use one 10 button CCC.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSWS View Post

My plan is to replace both with 15" Penguin II AC/HPs. To try to lessen the complications I plan to replace both thermostats with the 10 button CCC2.
1- Do you mean you intend to replace each of the two 5-button CCCs with a respective CCC2?
Or...
2- Do you mean that you intend to replace both 5-button CCCs with a single CCC2?
If #1, then yes, it's largely plug-n-play. But not if you've got a control board buried in the wall...
How many "Zones" do you have? Each CCC has a Zone button. And at the bottom of the display it has a Zone section. Does either CCC display a zone number other than "1"? You have two ACs on the roof, and each is connected to its CCC as Zone 1, right? But if either of the CCCs has a zone other than "1", that probably means you have a control board buried in the wall somewhere that is Zone 2 and you'll need to upgrade that board as well.
If you mean #2 above, you'll need to pull a data cable (similar to a phone cord) from one rooftop unit to the other. And you'll need to add a temperature sensor for the Zone 2 unit because only Zone 1 can use the temp sensor in the CCC2.
And... on the CCC2, keep in mind that it's a LOT bigger than the CCC; almost 6" wide. Plus it has a 1-1/2" diameter protrusion sticking out of the back, so you'll need to cut a big hole in the wall.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As long as you set the dip switches correctly, you'll be fine.
A small correction, your original Dometic Duotherm units are Penguin low profile units also. You might consider the Blizzard NXT units if you can tolerate a few inches in height.

After the install, leave the plastic covers off until you've ops checked the system in case you need to make any changes.
I'm in Tucson also, so send me a Private Message (upper right corner of this page) with your contact info if you need advice.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
As long as you set the dip switches correctly, you'll be fine.
A small correction, your original Dometic Duotherm units are Penguin low profile units also. You might consider the Blizzard NXT units if you can tolerate a few inches in height.

After the install, leave the plastic covers off until you've ops checked the system in case you need to make any changes.
I'm in Tucson also, so send me a Private Message (upper right corner of this page) with your contact info if you need advice.
Does the Blizzard cool significantly better than a penguin2? Will it hook right up to the ducting?
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #6

I'm sorry, I didn't make that very clear. My plan is to replace both thermostats with 2 new CCC2 thermostats so that the wiring should be the same as my existing wiring.

I believe that each thermostat shows a zone 1 now, and the bedroom thermostat shows a zone 2. From what was mentioned above it seems like that zone 2 is probably the hidden AquaHot controller. If I understand my manual correctly, the front and rear AH zones are controlled by the 2 thermostats, respectively. And there is a third, central zone which is zone 2 on the bedroom thermostat.

I really appreciate the responses, with your help I just might understand this soon.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
That's the way mine is. Except I have a 3rd AC in the middle so I don't have a control board hidden in the wall.
If it's like mine, you should have a temp sensor in the bathroom. Mine is on the underneath side of the medicine cabinet. A big slotted plastic bump.
Have fun
Walter
Old 05-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If I understand my manual correctly, the front and rear AH zones are controlled by the 2 thermostats, respectively. And there is a third, central zone which is zone 2 on the bedroom thermostat.
I'm not sure this is a super-important distinction, but it might help to describe how the ACs and 'thermostats' interact. It's not like your home thermostat in that the CCC doesn't directly control the AC and/or aquahot.
The CCC 'thermostat' is more like a remote display panel that is connected to the AC control board via a data cable. It tells an AC control board what mode to be in (ie- AC, Heat Pump, Furnace/AquaHot). It may also send temperature information over the phone cable, but the control board can also get its temperature information from a separate sensor.
The CCC doesn't tell the AC when to engage the compressor like your home thermostat. The AC control board makes that call.
Likewise the AC control board tells the aquahot/furnace when to engage, not the 'thermostat' and there's no direct connection between the CCC and the furnace/aquahot.
So your CCCs are connected to the AC control boards, there's one inside each rooftop AC and another one in the wall. Then those control boards tell the AC when to come on, and when to run the furnace/aquahot.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
I'm not sure this is a super-important distinction, but it might help to describe how the ACs and 'thermostats' interact. It's not like your home thermostat in that the CCC doesn't directly control the AC and/or aquahot.
The CCC 'thermostat' is more like a remote display panel that is connected to the AC control board via a data cable. It tells an AC control board what mode to be in (ie- AC, Heat Pump, Furnace/AquaHot). It may also send temperature information over the phone cable, but the control board can also get its temperature information from a separate sensor.
The CCC doesn't tell the AC when to engage the compressor like your home thermostat. The AC control board makes that call.
Likewise the AC control board tells the aquahot/furnace when to engage, not the 'thermostat' and there's no direct connection between the CCC and the furnace/aquahot.
So your CCCs are connected to the AC control boards, there's one inside each rooftop AC and another one in the wall. Then those control boards tell the AC when to come on, and when to run the furnace/aquahot.
Cheers,
Walter
OK, that's making some sense now. I'm still a little confused about that hidden controller. My understanding is that the control boards in each rooftop AC can send a signal to the AquaHot if I ask for heat at one or both of the thermostats. This would send heat to either my front living area, or the bedroom, depending on the thermostat. But the central bath/shower area, which I understand is a separate AH zone, zone 2 on the bedroom CCC2, would not get the signal to the AH unless I update the hidden controller. Is that the purpose of the 3rd controller?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The thermostats reflect the zone number selected on the control board dip switches.
You can assign them anyway you like but the A/C zones will be the same as the Aqua Hot zones.
Are you positive you do not have three A/C units on the roof?

The Bizzard NXT is 15,000 BTU also but it is supposed to be more efficient. Yes, it will connect to your current ducts as well as wiring.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
…But the central bath/shower area, which I understand is a separate AH zone, zone 2 on the bedroom CCC2, would not get the signal to the AH unless I update the hidden controller. Is that the purpose of the 3rd controller?
Right. I don’t believe it serves any other purpose.
The new CCC2 can’t communicate with the old board, so you’d lose that aquahot zone.
Thinking out loud… I wonder if one could jumper the rear and middle aquahot zones together and thus eliminate the hidden board…
Old 05-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Are you positive you do not have three A/C units on the roof?
Really, 2 ACs. It's 40", the 42' have 3.

Thinking out loud… I wonder if one could jumper the rear and middle aquahot zones together and thus eliminate the hidden board…

That's where my brain was going too. That third controller seems like overkill but maybe there's a legitimate need for it that I'm not seeing.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We went thru 5 penguin ll in 3 years. We had friends who put the taller blizzards. They are quieter and heat and cool better. If I ever change these penguins I am going blizzards.

2014 Winnebago Tour GD 42ft
cte202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have had the same issue as you. We replaced both of our AC units on our 1999 Holiday Rambler with Penquin II units last summer. We replaced the 4 button thermostats with CCC thermostats. We thought it would be plug and go but it has not been so lucky. We got it wired in the roof below the units. We never found a control board. When we needed heat this spring, the CCC would not run the furnace. It would see the furnace but not run it. When we flipped the switches on the main unit, then the CCC wouldn't even see the furnace. We have tried all ways to wire it but have fail at this point. We ended up putting a thermostat on the ceiling below the unit to run the furnace for now. Both units are running on zone 1 so I am thinking they are connected. I don't have any insights but maybe someone has some help for me also. We really aren't thrilled with the Penquin II units. We don't think they cool very well last summer. I appreciate any help and it is great hearing this advice. I wish I knew where to find the control board if we do have one.
cathyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duotherm