Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dynasty Genset Conduit

I noticed yesterday, doing my routine checks, that the flex-conduit for the 120vAC power cables hangs really low when the generator is all the way in. The conduit and wire loom which holds the control cables, the fuel line and the 12volt cable all loop down and loops are right above the genset exhaust. Funny that in the decade plus that I've been tinkering I never noticed that.

There is a sheet metal heat shield above the exhaust pipe but still I would expect that it gets really how in there with genset running for a long time. Could it be that there is supposed to be something to keep all those cables and tubes away from the genset exhaust?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most Likely a zip tie or two.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
@TimAZ, Maybe I should clarify; this is a rollout genset as yours probably is too. When the genset is out, the flex-conduit is pretty much straight and fully extended. When the Genset is all the way in there's a little space where the conduit hangs down. I can see where the conduit goes along the top of the compartment behind the genset rear. It's zip tied there already. Is yours zip tied to the compartment "roof" above where the top of the genset when it's in?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is zip tied to part of the frame that moves in and out with the gen set so it is held up out of the way when the generator is in. (in between the gen set and the moho chassis.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The frame which rolls on mine is below the genset, but the conduit runs from the coach frame at the top to the top rear of genset. I crawled under today and discovered that the "flex"-conduit is very inflexible, I guess, due to age. It has already developed some cracks, which I temporarily repaired with Gorilla tape. I also saw a place on underside of the floor, between the last support point and the rear of the genset, where some sort of support should have been. A few zip ties screwed into the underside does raise the conduit a bit. So now it hangs a little higher and not exactly above the genset exhaust.

It looks like I'll need to replace this flex-conduit; hopefully I can just splice with a watertight connector to the part back where it runs straight rather than go all the way back. At the genset I think I'll need to remove the front cover to disconnect wires so I can slip old conduit off and new one on.

Now I need to look for a really flexible, watertight and durable conduit. Suggestions anyone?
Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You'll need to measure the diameter.
I've had good luck with Ultratite Liquidtight Flexible Non-Metallic PVC conduit from Home Depot or Lowes. You will have to disconnect the cables to route them through the conduit.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...4607/203447593

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
@vito.a: Thanks for the advice. yes I measured the conduit, it's OD is slightly more that 1 1/4" so it should be 1"OD. I am looking to find a watertight, non-metallic flex conduit, hopefully really flexible but some reinforcement to it.