Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
dynasty rear a/c question

I've just purchased a 2003 Dynasty. I've had both roof tops serviced and they are blowing cold but I note the rear unit of the 2 diffusers only one seems to e putting out a fair volume of air. The mid cabin diffusers too aren't pushing much. Is there flex duct up there? What do you suggest before I either rip out the original unit or study adding a third roof top. I want it frosty in the bedroom.

Thanks for your help
Kasebeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

I'm assuming your year has the duct down the center of the ceiling. You might pull a vent cover, and using a mirror and a flashlight, look down the duct and see that nothing's overly amiss. Don't be surprised if you see irregularities in the geometry, but hopefully no real obstructions or discontinuities.

Good HVAC design is not something RV's are known for. These systems are notorious for not distributing the output from the HVAC units very effectively. Also, if your coach is like ours, both (in our case three) units feed the duct, which goes the length of the coach, and while their output may be concentrated in the vicinity of the unit, evenly distributing the comfort in their respective ends of the coach is not their forte.

It's too bad they don't put easily adjustable baffles in the main duct, to be able to isolate the output of a given unit to the area where the air comfort is desired. In any case, I'd be surprised if you have a problem, other than being the recipient of the results of the designer's efforts.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
2003 dynasty

Thank you for that helpful information. I've noted I needed a charge and removing the fins from the registers as I believe they restrict too much volume. Air is now blowing 45 in front parlor and 48 at rear parlor with stat set on 67.
Kasebeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

Yeah their not real good at sealing up the duct work in the ceiling. In our Beaver I took all the registers off and re-taped everything with FSK Alum tape, there were joints and spots in the ducts that allowed air to blow into the attic. Now with all three units running it will run you out after awhile. Do wish there was some kind of dampners in the ducts to direct the air. The only way now is to shut off the registers, but two in the front are behind the false panel in the ceiling.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote