Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #1

I am in the process of installing a Pressure Pro system that we removed from our SOB. I know the correct way to determine proper tire prsssure is to weigh each wheel and set them according to tat weight. Or at least get an axle weight. Unfortunately we are 60 miles from a decent scale. My unit had a wheel alignment in Georgia last month. I checked the pressures and they are 115 front, 95 rear and 90 tag. The Monaco label calls for 120front,85 rear and 80 tag. I ralize that every one loads their units differently but I was wondering what others with a Dynasty tag are running for pressures. The 120 for the 295's seems a little high. The max for that tire is 125. The 85 and 80 sound OK. Any help appreciated. We are planning on going to Henderson's on our trek to Oregon in the fall and I will get individual wheel weights.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

I am in the process of installing a Pressure Pro system that we removed from our SOB. I know the correct way to determine proper tire prsssure is to weigh each wheel and set them according to tat weight. Or at least get an axle weight. Unfortunately we are 60 miles from a decent scale. My unit had a wheel alignment in Georgia last month. I checked the pressures and they are 115 front, 95 rear and 90 tag. The Monaco label calls for 120front,85 rear and 80 tag. I ralize that every one loads their units differently but I was wondering what others with a Dynasty tag are running for pressures. The 120 for the 295's seems a little high. The max for that tire is 125. The 85 and 80 sound OK. Any help appreciated. We are planning on going to Henderson's on our trek to Oregon in the fall and I will get individual wheel weights.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help you on the tire pressure, but can pass along info you might want to use when in Oregon. Oregon weigh stations leave the scales on whether they are open or not. You can weigh one axle and then then the other. Then move over a bit(there is plenty of room) and then weigh one corner and so on. So you can check you weight without taking it to a private facility.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #4

Duffy's dad

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

We have a 07 Imperial with 115psi front, 85psi drive axel, and 80psi on the tag.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #6

I'm sure our 02 Dynasty is not as heavy as yours but we have weighted each axle, each side individually and determined (with a safety margin) that 100 PSI (cold) front, 95 drive axle, and 90 tag axle to be acceptable. We now have 30K on the coach with excellent tire wear on original tires.

Experts have told us that the standard Dynasty Bilstein gas shocks provide a very firm ride with excellent handling. The down side is the harsh "thud" it gives when hitting uneven road surfaces, like bridges on the interstate.

Koni FSD shocks apparently soften that "thud" significantly while still giving good handling characteristics. They adjust to road conditions and are "new technology".

There is no substitute for actual measurement of axle weights. You may find that one side of an axle is overloaded and you can shift weight around to equalize load. Out smaller Dynasty has over 8,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity and it is best to put the weight where it needs to be.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #7

I am running 115 in front, 95 on the back and 90 psi on the tag axle. This combination seems to work the best, we generally do not carry that much in our 2004 Dynasty.
Fossilhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #8

fossilhound:

Can you tell me how you arrived at those pressures? Monaco calls for 120,85 and 80. The alignment shop had mine at 115 95 and 90. I think that the 120 is too high. I set them at 115,85 and 80.

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I had Monaco weigh my 2007 Dynasty Diamond and the pressure turned out to be less than what was listed on the Monaco tag. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact air pressure now since I've traded up to a 2008 Signature, but I will be at the dealer Monday and if I remember I'll check and see what the pressure was suppose to be and post it up.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #10

CB5300 makes a good point in that unless you have weighted your coach, each axle and each side if possible, you really don't know what air pressure to run.

Monaco knows what the coach is rated at as for load and will recommend a pressure to safely carry the maximum weight. Monaco has no way of knowing how much weight you will actually put in your coach or where you will locate the weight.

WEIGH YOU COACH !!!!

Then you need to look at the tire pressure chart and determine the correct air pressure for the load. Some specific tires are known not to wear well unless extra air pressure is added. Some people want a little extra air pressure in the front for more safety margin.

Low air pressure, that is air pressure below what is required for the actual load being carried, is the main reason for tire failure. A blow out on the front at 65 MPH would be "exciting", to say the least.

There is no way of guessing how much pressure to run. If you are going to guess, guess high, way high. 120 psi is the maximum pressure rating of some brands of wheels. Others may be more or less. Again, guessing can put your well being at risk.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #11

I did manage to weight the motorhome but don't have the numbers with me. The unit is in storage and regrettably I am out of town working. I do remember the pressure numbers since I checked the tires on our last trip. I have the Michelins on our motorhome and it seemed to me that those were the numbers I came up with.
Fossilhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #12

moisheh
Maybe I'm a little paranoid but those pressures on the front seem high. Is your coach one of the front kitchen models? If so that could be the difference. You said you have the 295/80/22.5 tires. I'm comparing apples and oranges here but our coach, 00 Windsor, weighs right at 11800 (don't have the scale sheet here) on the front axle and the Goodyear and Michelin charts call for 90psi on the front, same tire size.
When you do weigh yours make sure it is fully loaded, all your stuff as you would travel, full of propane,fuel and water. Why bother unless you do a worst case?
The inflation pressures on the rear and tag sound reasonable.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #13

Dave: No I dont think that 115 is too high. Monaco recommends 120 and it seems many others are running something similar. We do not have a front kitchen but the 10kw Onan, 4 slides and all tile floors must really add to the weights. I will post my weights in the fall when we get all 6 wheels weighed. In the meantime I am sure my pressures will be more than adequate.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #14

My Camelot calls for 115/85/80. I actually run 115-Front, 110-Rear, 100-Tag. Think about if you raise you tag, you now have a lot more weight on the rears. Weigh you rig with the tag raised and see what the difference is. I have never noticed the ride any different with the tires set to lower pressures. I would rather be on the safe side then under inflated when I needed it. Max load is at max pressure, 125.

Carl