RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Early ninties Crown Royale models

Hello All,
I've tried to find early nineties Monaco brochures with no success. Can anyone tell me what lengths the Crown Royales came in? I have seen "40" footers, and measured them at about 39' 9" bumper to bumper, but I have also seen adds for coaches advertised as 36', 37', 38', and 39', that appear so similar that I have begun to wonder what was available.
Any info-insights would be greatly appreciated!
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to some previous threads on them that may be useful.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Crown...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have to admit, I'm quite shocked there isn't more love for the late 80s and early 90s model
Crown Royales and Executives. They just seem like they would have a somewhat of a cult
following because of the different styling and quality of materials used. It could just be me
but I remember noticing them even when we were still in pop ups and the 5th wheel. They
don't look like all the rest in that normal "bus" fashion.

Am I just not finding the right "cult" area when I look around the internet? Is there a
hardcore following somewhere I haven't found?
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

I have a 1990 Monaco Signature with the original brochure and owner's manual. I can provide info if anyone is interested.
wranglergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

I have a 95 signature. I am noticing as you are, there doesn't seem to be that many people chatting about them.(older units) I really enjoy our unit and find it is good for us.
I suppose that many people aren't into maintaining older units. But my thinking is that if you buy new-- there is the depreciation hit, or cost. If you buy a nice older unit you pay for repairs and don't have warranties etc, but I have control (most of the time) when and how I want to make "investments" in my mh. I also choose to make many mods myself and there's no warrantee to void.

I agree the colors are much different than the late models. Some schemes I like better than the new styles. Especially the very dark schemes-- seems like that would really make the units hot.

Yet there are so many similarities to the newer units I find it helpful to listen and learn from various topics of discussion on this site and often take bits if information and apply it to my older unit.

Loren
Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
I have a 95 signature. I am noticing as you are, there doesn't seem to be that many people chatting about them.(older units) I really enjoy our unit and find it is good for us.
I suppose that many people aren't into maintaining older units. But my thinking is that if you buy new-- there is the depreciation hit, or cost. If you buy a nice older unit you pay for repairs and don't have warranties etc, but I have control (most of the time) when and how I want to make "investments" in my mh. I also choose to make many mods myself and there's no warrantee to void.

I agree the colors are much different than the late models. Some schemes I like better than the new styles. Especially the very dark schemes-- seems like that would really make the units hot.

Yet there are so many similarities to the newer units I find it helpful to listen and learn from various topics of discussion on this site and often take bits if information and apply it to my older unit.

Loren

Hi Loren,
I'm curious whether your '95 has a front door or mid-entry and how you feel about door location. I agree that some of the "modern" paint schemes leave much to be desired! But then in my opinion "designers" have a LOT to answer for. Can you say MAUVE? I can't get excited about the dark colors and swirly graphics. The only bigger mystery is the folks who repaint their older coaches to "update" them. Like no one will know what era they are from when they see the sloping windshield!? We saw a ninetyish Beaver Marquis that had been painted, and they had gone so far as to paint the ROOF BLACK!!!??? and this is in central Texas! I read in a post on this forum somewhere that a little research had shown that the darker exterior colors raised the inside temperature by something like 15 degrees. Imagine what a black roof could do!
Jon
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not giving up. I'm going to continue my search in the very near future.

I will have one.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We are enjoying our 93 Monaco Signature Series Crown Royale. But we are going back and forth between doing some upgrading or trading off. While we have not run into the 10 yr rule for CG's but we did run into one that has a 15 yr rule and they require a copy of your registration if you want to stay longer than one night so no "stretching" the truth ....
Upgrades would be taking out the Dematic and putting in a residential fridge. Taking out the carpet and marble and putting in bamboo flooring, hopefully with some sort of heating. Taking out the j couch and putting in a desk/more storage since the couch is storage space.
We just found out that the RV is worth more than what we originally paid for it 3 yrs ago ...... go figure.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

Road-dog,

I like your name!

The motor home we have does have the front door. When we first considered moving up to a larger mh, we had a mid-door Winnie. We liked that floor plan for the two of us. Then we started taking care of my wife's elderly mom and realized we needed a mh that had wider walk areas, larger bath room, split bath with a door on the restroom, and over all more space.

So we're not stuck at home we can take "mom" with us and get out at least a little. The front door which we didn't want at first has worked out well for us. One thing I appreciate is that there is floor space in front of the right seat and that space does double duty as a walk way into the mh. Where if you have a mid door you have to have additional floor space used to gain access to the mh. So I feel there is an advantage in that way. So my Winnie had a driver's door. I as driver didn't have to walk out of my way when doing various things -- a drivers door is handy when emptying your waste tanks when on the road, or hopping out at a gas station --but I find the front door doesn't cause much additional use of time in that regard.

Mom can only take a step at a time with my wife's help but the step arrangement is a little wider and open so I can stand above them and help-- but often I don't, never the less we feel it works better than the narrower feeling mid door entry.

Our mh was a top of the line unit when new and the original owner added a few things, which makes our particular unit compare feature wise fairly well even to today's models. The paint scheme is fairly modern even by today's standards but the color gives it away as being an older unit. (shades of aqua green and white) We find in the desert that it is a relaxing color to our minds.
Well guess I went on a little to long. Hope this helps.

Loren
Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We are enjoying our 93 Monaco Signature Series Crown Royale. But we are going back and forth between doing some upgrading or trading off. While we have not run into the 10 yr rule for CG's but we did run into one that has a 15 yr rule and they require a copy of your registration if you want to stay longer than one night so no "stretching" the truth ....
Upgrades would be taking out the Dematic and putting in a residential fridge. Taking out the carpet and marble and putting in bamboo flooring, hopefully with some sort of heating. Taking out the j couch and putting in a desk/more storage since the couch is storage space.
We just found out that the RV is worth more than what we originally paid for it 3 yrs ago ...... go figure.
So have you actually had a camp ground not allow more than the first night due to your mh's age? I have yet to have that happen -- although I'm sure it does happen. I try to keep my unit well detailed so it's impression it very good. It gives the impression of value to people.

Guess I have in my own case decided that it is worth the investment to do up grades to my 95 sig. It is a suitable rig for up in the foreseeable future. In fact I like it's particular floor plan and was well equipped when new. So If I needed a new fridge -- in my state where they charge sales tax and license is somewhat influenced by value on their books-- my unit makes sense--economical sense to receive that up grade.

Generally I precieve There is a mind set, that new is best. Maybe so for those who don't have any desire to keep an older unit working well.Or they just do not have the disposition to do it-- no doubt there is reason to go new. But I feel from reading other's accounts of warrantee problems-- they may be putting just as much time in solving their problems as I might. One thing I like is that I get to choose who works on my rig cause it is not under warrantee-- but I am not taking that large depreciation loss. so I have the same money they might be paying out in payments-- or if they paid cash, then it would still be in the "bank" ready to make whatever repair I need.
So I'd encourage you to put the new fridge in and save some money. By the way I have read several excellent accounts of men who did put in a new sanyo? fridge and there seems to be a growing number of people going this way and are quite happy. If I were full timing or nearly full timing --- think i would do this too. You can find that thread on else where on IRV2.

So I've gone on too long, Hope I've helped,

Loren
Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
So have you actually had a camp ground not allow more than the first night due to your mh's age? I have yet to have that happen -- although I'm sure it does happen. I try to keep my unit well detailed so it's impression it very good. It gives the impression of value to people.
We did not stay in that CG because of the rule. We do stay as monthlies which is why it was a huge disappointment about them wanting a copy of the registration instead of going off of looks since our 1993 looks better than ones 8-10 yrs newer. We ended up staying at a different CG down a few miles from there.
Ours has a side aisle so the kitchen is bigger than most I have seen in apartments We finally tracked down an electrical issue with the tech and volt stuff on the dash. Took Monaco and Cummins to come up with suggestions on that. We have done some upgrading but some of the upgrades that Thom would like would mean a major amount of cash (retro fit AquaHot would be about $15k alone) so adding up the upgrades would be about what a newer one would end up costing with it being done already. Time is money and with all the things that we have on our plates it is really coming down to just going with a newer one. And even thou we've seen LOTS of others we are still liking Monaco's more than most others lol.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Aww, Thom, no photos on your blog...
Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
There are pictures there, I just had someone complement me on them and wished I would add more. I just have not updated it in so long. We are in a mobile home park, just finished fixing an electrical problem and will be back on the road and will be doing more posting. Just don't have enough going on for me to post that often right now.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #14

Pyratesilly,
Understood some mods just are too costly. I was lucky when we purchased our unit. The original owner had many extras installed. I don't know if the h20 heater is stock in the signature series --but our has one and I like it. It does use a fair amount of 12v energy, but it is a very comfortable. But if I were boon docking a lot, think I would add more solar than I now have. We actually boon dock more than we stay in parks-- but then we only go out for a month or so at a time with our current responsibility to care for our one living parent. We're hoping this year to find our way to quart site.
Anyway,. you might keep your eye pealed for a mh that meets more of you list of requirements, a used one with good bones but perhaps is in need of a few things that make it undesirable to many and therefore price more reasonable. It's funny how that list grows, but by now you have enough experience in traveling and living in you current mh I bet you could make an excellent choice -- now! This mh is our 4th and is the first Monaco. I though I had a pretty good idea what I wanted and set out with that list--but when we found this unit, it was more than I specified in my list but was happy to have it since it fit our budget. But now I see how fortunate we were to get what was probably the tip top of the line for that year. So that is what I'd look for if starting over, is to find a unit someone purchased with the best in mind.

Loren