RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

ECM location

greetings.

does anyone know where the "ECM" is located on a 2000 HR Scepter with a ISC 330 would be located, or what it looks like?

thanks, dale

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Cummins ISC engine control module (ECM) is mounted to the side of the engine block. These engines sit backwards in a diesel pusher, so it should be on the passenger side.
It will be painted the same color as the engine (black or red).
https://www.google.com/search?rls=co...60.zWR3wWm-MRw

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

I think this might be it. I can see it from the rear of my side radiator coach on the curb side of the engine.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Hi Dale & Dennis; Dennis, I look at the picture you posted. That part with the wires coming out of the top of the square unit is the CAPS system for the fuel system. You are close in your picture for the ECM location. From the CAPS go toward the front of the coach about 20+ inches. Then go down about 8 inches. There will be 2 or 3 big wire looms that plug into the ECM that is mounted to the side of the block. Hope this helps dale find the ECM. My Windsor has just a kitchen slide and not sure if Dennis has a bedroom slide on his Dynasty. I can lift the bed and have an access door to the engine compartment. This makes components easy to find. Dale, if you know the location of the lift pump, the ECM is just about 12 inches to the rear of the coach and up about 3 inches. Just look for the big wire looms that are plugged into the ECM. Just another thought Dale, go on line to Visone RV Salvage. They have used Cummin's ISC 350's for sale. Find one on their web site and they have lots of pictures of the engine, front, rear and both sides. You can identify the ECM real easy in the pictures since everything is out in the open. The ECM looks like a square box.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Dale & Dennis; Dennis, I look at the picture you posted. That part with the wires coming out of the top of the square unit is the CAPS system for the fuel system. You are close in your picture for the ECM location. From the CAPS go toward the front of the coach about 20+ inches. Then go down about 8 inches. There will be 2 or 3 big wire looms that plug into the ECM that is mounted to the side of the block. Hope this helps dale find the ECM. My Windsor has just a kitchen slide and not sure if Dennis has a bedroom slide on his Dynasty. I can lift the bed and have an access door to the engine compartment. This makes components easy to find. Dale, if you know the location of the lift pump, the ECM is just about 12 inches to the rear of the coach and up about 3 inches. Just look for the big wire looms that are plugged into the ECM. Just another thought Dale, go on line to Visone RV Salvage. They have used Cummin's ISC 350's for sale. Find one on their web site and they have lots of pictures of the engine, front, rear and both sides. You can identify the ECM real easy in the pictures since everything is out in the open. The ECM looks like a square box.
I don't have a bedroom slide so I'm thinking I could see better from the top.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #6

wow. thanks a lot to all. I'm going out now to try to find it. will check for voltage on 39/41? for key on signal to wake up the grid heater solenoids. i'll let you know. thanks again.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #7

OK, found the ECM. I physically followed the wire from the solenoid to the ECM to make sure. took and hour to do so, but i wanted to make sure. did not remove the connector yet. I'll need a helper to turn on key and check for voltage on the pin coming out of the ECM.

Question? there are 2 connectors.
1. does the other connector supply power to the ECM so that 12v can be present?
2. there is 2 wire connector not plugged in. the matching connector is tied to the harness? looks factory. what is that for?

thanks, dale

on a side note. the big cummins starts good with the new lift pump and grid heater "not" working. I'm I beating a dead horse.? wanting the grid heater to work?

the temps were 60 degrees last night. the cold motor fired right up? new lift pump? I'm new to this. if i go to cold temp area, is the big girl going to fire up without the intake heater working? How many of you know if your is working or not?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #8

dumb question. is the grid heater on a thermostat? A ram truck with a diesel will not turn on the grid heater unless the temps are below a certain limit? I can not find a answer on this for a Cummins isc 330? thanks, dale

BTW. the wait to start light does not mean the intake heater is working
Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1 View Post
dumb question. is the grid heater on a thermostat? A ram truck with a diesel will not turn on the grid heater unless the temps are below a certain limit? I can not find a answer on this for a Cummins isc 330? thanks, dale

BTW. the wait to start light does not mean the intake heater is working
Found this at KLM Performance:

Cummins Heater Grid
Cummins Diesel Heater Grid Element and Heater Grid Relay
Your Cummins diesel engine uses an Intake Heater Grid Relay to control the activation of the engines Heater Grid Element during Cold Weather Startups.

The Cummins Diesel Intake Manifold Heater Gird Element Control and Activation
The intake manifold of your Cummins diesel engine uses an air heater element assembly which is located at the top of the engines intake manifold. The air heater element is used to pre-heat the incoming air to the intake manifold. This is done to help engine starting and improve driveability with cool or cold outside temperatures. Electrical supply for the air heater element is controlled by the ECM / Engine Control Module through the engines heater relays.

The Cummins ECM uses the signal from the intake manifold air temperature sensor to determine proper intake heater grid cycling. When air temperatures below 60 Farenhiegth are detected the intake manifold heater will run for 10 seconds or longer to aid in Cold temperature starting. If temperatures are frigid, the amount of time the heater grid is activated can be longer. During this period the "Wait-to-Start" light is illuminated. When the heater grid cycle has finished, the "Wait
To Start light" and heater will go off. The heater grid element will continue to cycle on and off after the engine is running. This will occur until the intake manifold reaches 60 or the truck reaches about 15 mph.

When the engine is running and cold, it is okay to see the voltmeter fluctuate up and down as the heaters cycle on and off. At around 15mph, the heater cycle is disabled. If a Heater Relay sticks on while the engine is running, the voltmeter will slowly drop below 9V and eventually the "Check Gauges" light and chime will activate. If a relay sticks when the engine is off, the heater will quickly drain the battery, and the heater may get hot enough to start a fire.

They have grid heaters and relays for sale on their site:

https://www.klmperformance.com/produ...ater-grid.html
Old 02-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Dennis, very good information.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Good morning Dale; I read the post that Dennis supplied. A great description on how the grid heater works along with all other electronics. I am going back to your last question about the ECM. I do not have the knowledge about the pins for 12V supply on the ECM, however, the other connector that is attached to the harness is also on my ISC 350. I had to replace my barometric air pressure sensor last year and the new replacement looks a lot like what you see attached to the harness that is plugged into nothing but a dummy connector on the harness. I do not know what it is for, sorry. Also noted in the post Dennis put up is the mention of the intake manifold air temp sensor. In trouble shooting the problem you are having, if that sensor failed could there be no signal to the ECM to turn on the grid heater?????? Not sure. I do have some other routes for you to take on hopefully getting this problem solved. If you have not done so yet, join Cummin's Quick Serve. It is free and all you need is your engine serial number. This gives you access to a wealth of info on your ISC. Next, if you still can't get the grid heater to work after all else fails, try contacting the Cummin's Tech. and help line. Their number is on their web site. I got terrific help having to go to a level 2 tech. to help me solve the air pressure sensor failure I had mentioned above. Took 2 day with techs. on the phone, but got it fixed. Part was only $90, but saved me a trip to the shop that would have cost me close to $500. I think the help line is maned 24/7 so you can call at your convenience. Long winded but hope some if this info helps. INMO you could get away with out the grid heater not working. If you were in a cold climate and had access to 120V, the block heater plugged in would help get the engine started. Also in your post you asked if others knew if their grid heater is working. Boy, do we know! Just watch your voltage gauge as the heater cycles on and off. Not only can you see the voltage drop, but you can hear the load put on the engine by the alternator having to put out the voltage drop because of the high amperage of the grid heater. Yes, I know mine is working.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

Man, great info. I've seen the post about the grid heater operation. However that only applies to the 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins like I have in my pickup. the 8.3 has a different grid heater system all together.

I'm giving up the battle for now. thanks Jim, I'll use that system and call them. I just need to know for my sanity. I was an ASE certified auto mechanic for years. I hold a 9 level in aircraft avionics. Just finished installing a DIY autopilot system on my boat that works very well.

Here are the facts for a ISC, 8.3 Cummins
1. The system is controlled by a signal from the Electronic Control module that is mounted to the side of the engine near the fuel filter.
2. there is a intake heater. Its a heat strip that heats the incoming air to the motor.
3. there are 2 separate "but combined" strips in assembly. "notice 2 wires"
4. there are 2 relays that supply large amounts of amperage via 2 separate 2, 6ga wires. in my case they are located under the black box in the rear storage compartment. pass side.
5. the wait to start light is controlled by the ECM on a timed signal. it does not mean the grid heater is working.

In my case, there is not a 12v signal coming from the ECM to energize the relays to provide power to the heater.

the only part that I can not find out on my own is if there is a "low temp thermostat" somewhere that tells the ecm to send 12v to the relay. ???

Before I purchase a $800 to $1000 ecm to correct this problem. I will attempt a DIY timed relay circuit that is temperature controlled. its not rocket science. Ill keep you posted on this in time.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Hi Dale; just read your last post. I have got to find my password for my Quick Serve site and see if the ISC has a intake manifold air temp sensor. If it does I will post back. I have also heard that sometimes it is just connections at sensors or where harnesses plug in to copoints. This seems to be problematic on older coaches. Have had this problem myself. I will be back with an answer, I hope.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #14

Hi again Dale; Yes there is a intake manifold air temp sensor on our ISC's. Now I don't know if it is part of the grid heater system. That would be a question for Cummin's. That sensor is located above the ECM toward the top of the engine. I do have the Cummin's part number which is 3408346. I will leave this info up to you to go where you need to go from here as you have an idea on how to wire in a system to get the grid heater operating. Just thought I would pass the info along. Let us know how everything goes as inquiring minds want to know. Have a great evening!

Tags
cat, ecm